2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications '12 528ix n20- 130E20,120408,

03-29-2022, 08:57 PM   #1
harveje
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i X

'12 528ix n20- 130E20,120408,

Well, I just tackled the infamous timing chain, oil pump drive, turbo swap.

Back story, 180k miles, chain noise, loose chain, guide parts broke, wastegate rattle, low boost codes, no power, whining.
Got all the timing stuff from fcp, timing tools, and a low mileage turbo assembly,
What a PITA for one old person and jackstands.... -- never again..
Got all the timing parts in and set-- checked it 3 times, rotated the engine, checked timing 3 more times to verify. Buttoned the pan up, swapped the turbo out and set the wastegate actuator to fully close at 6 inhg.
bled coolant, filled oil, left plugs out and spun the engine to build up pressure -oil and fuel, put plugs in and she fired up.

Now I'm getting the 130E20 inlet camshaft angular offset to crankshaft outside tolerance
and 120408 - boost pressure control shutdown as a follow up
i checked the timing 6 times so I'm 99.9 % it's ok
What all will / can set the 130E20?

Here's a kicker....... i can unhook the vacuum to the wastegate and I get a low boost code which I expect BUT the 130E20 Never sets..... Hook the hose back up, clear codes and within a few minutes codes come back..

i did see a sib 12 15 13 that talks about an update and my ilevel is older than what's stated.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated... I'm depressed to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 07:42 PM   #2
harveje
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i X

i pulled the cover off again and used the tools to re check timing and everything showed good. i pulled the vanos bolt, took it apart, cleaned and reinstalled. Buttoned back up,started the car and let it idle, and NO joy..On a scan tool the intake timing starts at 0 deg and bounces around there for a while, then heads to -60 deg and after it sits there for a while the computer shuts down the turbo and goes into limp mode, at that time the timing returns to 0. Exhaust timing bounces around 0 all the time. I get a 130104 camshaft jammed fault. So now I'm wondering if the timing gear assy is bad?? When I bought the car the turbo rattled like crazy, I knew the chain was questionable and 100% of the time got a turbo low pressure fault and Never any boost... so my thinking is that always put the dme in limp mode and the cam timing gears never advanced that far past 0 deg..Now i'm on the hunt for a oe or low mileage intake cam gear to try.. I ran the service plan and the computer was asking for -40.8 deg kw and seeing -63.77 deg kw @1000rpm.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 08:00 PM   #3
Swordsman
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i, 2017 X3, 2003 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveje View Post
Well, I just tackled the infamous timing chain, oil pump drive, turbo swap.

Back story, 180k miles, chain noise, loose chain, guide parts broke, wastegate rattle, low boost codes, no power, whining.
Got all the timing stuff from fcp, timing tools, and a low mileage turbo assembly,
What a PITA for one old person and jackstands.... -- never again..
Got all the timing parts in and set-- checked it 3 times, rotated the engine, checked timing 3 more times to verify. Buttoned the pan up, swapped the turbo out and set the wastegate actuator to fully close at 6 inhg.
bled coolant, filled oil, left plugs out and spun the engine to build up pressure -oil and fuel, put plugs in and she fired up.

Now I'm getting the 130E20 inlet camshaft angular offset to crankshaft outside tolerance
and 120408 - boost pressure control shutdown as a follow up
i checked the timing 6 times so I'm 99.9 % it's ok
What all will / can set the 130E20?

Here's a kicker....... i can unhook the vacuum to the wastegate and I get a low boost code which I expect BUT the 130E20 Never sets..... Hook the hose back up, clear codes and within a few minutes codes come back..

i did see a sib 12 15 13 that talks about an update and my ilevel is older than what's stated.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated... I'm depressed to say the least.
Did you do the update?
Appreciate 0