2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F11 steering wheel popping/clicking sound

03-19-2024, 08:46 AM   #1
deividasjank
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

F11 steering wheel popping/clicking sound

Hello.

My BMW has strange sound and I can't figure it out why it happens. Steering wheel does popping/clicking sound when I move it up and down electronically (or on car startup when it comes down) and also when I'm driving slowly and turning it (trying to park the car or something like that) sound is the same. Also I've noticed that it occurs sometimes when I drive on uneven road. But it happens not always.

What could it be? Maybe you had the same issue?

I made a video (most noticeable at the end of it) https://youtube.com/shorts/nEhILCc_sc8
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 12:14 PM   #2
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

I had the same thing, it was the clock spring that was failing.

Note this isn't really a spring at all, it is a white cable that circles around in the wheel so that the steering wheel buttons and airbag stay connected when you turn the wheel.

Eventually you'll lose the functionality of the buttons and the airbag light will come on.
      03-19-2024, 12:23 PM   #3
deividasjank
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
I had the same thing, it was the clock spring that was failing.

Note this isn't really a spring at all, it is a white cable that circles around in the wheel so that the steering wheel buttons and airbag stay connected when you turn the wheel.

Eventually you'll lose the functionality of the buttons and the airbag light will come on.
What was the fix?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 12:50 PM   #4
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deividasjank View Post
What was the fix?
A wreckers close to me had an F11 that had a cable in OK condition so I bought it. You probably could repair the cable but it was just easier and quicker for me to use that cable.

Note that an F11 has a rear wiper function which the F10 doesn't so the F11 one is unique if you buy the whole unit including stalks (which is how BMW sells it) I'm not sure if the cable itself is the same between F10 and F11.