2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Thoughts on sedan secondary N55 or N63TU

03-25-2024, 04:06 PM   #1
erikbgt
Rep
Drives: BMW X5D F15

Thoughts on sedan secondary N55 or N63TU

Currently own a F15 X5D enjoying the N57 engine, but I have given up on finding a Msport 5D at this point that's on the east coast.

Moving into gas there are a bit more Msports available between N55 and N63TU. I'm not afraid of maintenance and having been slowly acquiring all the necessarily tools / 2-post lift / ISTA+ to work with, but looking at the 15/16 models.

I'm thinking a 550i (or xi) while base price is more expensive, will be a more fun beater car to work on / drive than the 535i (or xi). Open to any suggestions or thoughts, been torn reading through both.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:49 AM   #2
dortforshort
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i & Audi e-tron

I have a ‘15 550i xDrive, and I can tell you this much: maintenance isn’t going to be your problem. Repairs will be your issue. Random things will crop up here and there and before you know it, even if you took care of it, you’ll have sunk some $$ into it. Doing the work yourself will save you a lot of money, but still.

I love the power I get from the 550, but unless you live somewhere that you can open the N63 up and go, the 535 will treat you nicer. If you’re looking for an N63 that’s more reliable, you’ll need to go 18+ and get an M550i.

Also, be warned that the N63 is thirsty for oil and gas. I burn about two quarts between oil changes, and get a solid 12.7 MPG.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2024, 09:27 AM   #3
jared21927
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

I bought a 16' 550 RWD about a year and a half ago and it's been a dream. I made sure to get an N63TU. I also am very meticulous on maintenance. No major issues, nothing broken, and it pulls hard. I'm BM3 stage 1 and as the previous poster stated, it does burn some oil. I installed the sport oil cooler valve, plugs and coils. Gas mileage isn't great but I work from home so I don't worry about it too much. It's honestly more of a lifestyle question. Do you have the time, funds and energy to take care of it. If so, I don't think you'll regret it.
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2024, 03:39 PM   #4
erikbgt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared21927 View Post
I bought a 16' 550 RWD about a year and a half ago and it's been a dream. I made sure to get an N63TU. I also am very meticulous on maintenance. No major issues, nothing broken, and it pulls hard. I'm BM3 stage 1 and as the previous poster stated, it does burn some oil. I installed the sport oil cooler valve, plugs and coils. Gas mileage isn't great but I work from home so I don't worry about it too much. It's honestly more of a lifestyle question. Do you have the time, funds and energy to take care of it. If so, I don't think you'll regret it.
I also work from home and drive maybe 5k miles a year total, so cost of gas isn't really an issue (and why EV's return isn't that great).

I am definitely only looking at N63TU (so 14+) RWD (I don't want to deal with another xdrive), but I do have the BMW tools and home lift, so I think knowing eyes wide open what I'm getting into.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 03:42 PM   #5
erikbgt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortforshort View Post
I have a ‘15 550i xDrive, and I can tell you this much: maintenance isn’t going to be your problem. Repairs will be your issue. Random things will crop up here and there and before you know it, even if you took care of it, you’ll have sunk some $$ into it. Doing the work yourself will save you a lot of money, but still.

I love the power I get from the 550, but unless you live somewhere that you can open the N63 up and go, the 535 will treat you nicer. If you’re looking for an N63 that’s more reliable, you’ll need to go 18+ and get an M550i.

Also, be warned that the N63 is thirsty for oil and gas. I burn about two quarts between oil changes, and get a solid 12.7 MPG.
Sounds like BMW haha - but yes I plan to do the majority if not all myself. I've been reading up more on the N63TU maintenance over 100k, and the bigger concern will be turbos - although for me getting up there takes years. My old sedan I had for 18 years and only hit 110k miles on it.

2 quarts? Wow - that's a lot it's eating, gas mileage I think depends how hard you push - I do tend to open up some on the highway, but the 535i just doesn't have that V8 feel/growl. Basically baby-M5.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 03:12 PM   #6
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
I have a '16 550i xdrive, and its been the most reliable BMW I've owned. Its been really quite good for me. Of course I have the N63TU, with about 98K miles. I do all maintenance on time, and much myself. I race it and it held up great. The only thing I might suggest is doing some preventative. I swapped to a 90C thermostat, replaced all my filtered air ducts, intake, PCV etc. Basically all the plastic shit that goes to crap under the hood. I also did coil packs/plugs recently, and actually do aggressive maintenance as its my race car (more frequent fluid changes and all fluids). Mine is NOT TUNED! I do push it to the max sometimes, and I enjoy the muted V8 sounds.

The only limp dic er I mean limp mode I hit was last year when a turbo pneumatic pressure converter failed. Otherwise for the last 5 years no problem!

ONE big reason to get the 550i xdrive, is its one of the last BMWs with hydraulic steering. Not the much disliked electromechanical.

Would I get the 6, sure its fine if it suits your price point and tastes. Would I buy the V8 again definitely. Though I really like the B58 in the m340i. I'd say its a better more responsive power train then the 550i.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 05:57 PM   #7
Mike535xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i Xdrive

Garage List
I have a 2011 535i Xdrive, and can speak to reliability in my 7 months of ownership. I got a very clean one-owner example, and I think the specific ownership from the past makes a large difference. In 21,000 miles, has given me zero issues, and knock on wood it stays that way. currently at 131,000 miles. Gas milage is a nice plus of the n55 over n63. I have not owned an n63, so will not speak on them.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 06:10 PM   #8
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
535I(XI) its pretty good on gas, has plenty usable power, and is Definately cheaper to own than the N63TU, alas, I have owned my 535i since June last year, and hasn't given me any issues whatsoever that popped up, I travel often, so mainly highway miles thus far, I get about 28-30mpg. N63TU is a beast of an engine, if you have equipment as stated and the lift, and time and the money, stick to what you heart is telling you and get a N63TU, I know you won't regret it. I was on that same big decision make last year and decided to go I6 Turbo, I am very pleased and happy with my N55.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 06:27 PM   #9
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikbgt View Post
....I'm thinking a 550i (or xi) while base price is more expensive, will be a more fun beater car to work on...
If you get an LCI 550, you "might" be able to reduce your N63 mechanical liabilities (and it all depends on the previous maintenance/repair quality), but I doubt you'll get away from any of the rubber and plastic deterioration liabilities.

Outside of a standard oil change, everything else requires digging in on the N63 engines...and digging in means more plastic pieces that will break. Even the metal clamps that hold the O2 sensor wires as they meander from the front of the engine to the rear, distort and break very, very easily.

You will get very efficient in removing the two air boxes, and ducting....and the beauty cover, whose plastic securing points break off rather easily and requires the whole cover to be replaced when more than 2 break off.

The N55 in the F10 is SOOO much better to work on, there is plenty of room to get to things, unlike the N63....not even 4 fingers can be slid between anything...

Remember things like the PCV/CCV fittings are plastic and LOVE to break at the most inconvenient time. Both on the N63 will run you $350 each (before tax and shipping)

Have plenty of nickels and dimes for the plastic parts on an N63 if that is what you end up getting. If the plastic parts don't use those nickels and dimes, the gas and oil consumption/leaks will....

The N55 engine might outlast your suspension......
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 06:27 PM   #10
erikbgt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiltiCoatl89 View Post
535I(XI) its pretty good on gas, has plenty usable power, and is Definately cheaper to own than the N63TU, alas, I have owned my 535i since June last year, and hasn't given me any issues whatsoever that popped up, I travel often, so mainly highway miles thus far, I get about 28-30mpg. N63TU is a beast of an engine, if you have equipment as stated and the lift, and time and the money, stick to what you heart is telling you and get a N63TU, I know you won't regret it. I was on that same big decision make last year and decided to go I6 Turbo, I am very pleased and happy with my N55.
Yeah heart is definitely telling me to make a "baby M5", not sure the wife will appreciate it haha. I'm just torn because sounds like both could be fun, but one does give you that budget M5 feel (somewhat).
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 08:03 AM   #11
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
If you get an LCI 550, you "might" be able to reduce your N63 mechanical liabilities (and it all depends on the previous maintenance/repair quality), but I doubt you'll get away from any of the rubber and plastic deterioration liabilities.

Outside of a standard oil change, everything else requires digging in on the N63 engines...and digging in means more plastic pieces that will break. Even the metal clamps that hold the O2 sensor wires as they meander from the front of the engine to the rear, distort and break very, very easily.

You will get very efficient in removing the two air boxes, and ducting....and the beauty cover, whose plastic securing points break off rather easily and requires the whole cover to be replaced when more than 2 break off.

The N55 in the F10 is SOOO much better to work on, there is plenty of room to get to things, unlike the N63....not even 4 fingers can be slid between anything...

Remember things like the PCV/CCV fittings are plastic and LOVE to break at the most inconvenient time. Both on the N63 will run you $350 each (before tax and shipping)

Have plenty of nickels and dimes for the plastic parts on an N63 if that is what you end up getting. If the plastic parts don't use those nickels and dimes, the gas and oil consumption/leaks will....

There are 2 V8's available in the F10 F550i, the 2011-2013 had the N63, the 2014-2016 had the N63TU, very different engines in terms of reliability. The N63 has a ton of problem areas that were as far as I can tell fixed in the N63TU. Having owned an S63 do not buy an N63 unless its had the CCP done, or its low milage well matintained. The N63TU is a much better choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 04:06 PM   #12
erikbgt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
There are 2 V8's available in the F10 F550i, the 2011-2013 had the N63, the 2014-2016 had the N63TU, very different engines in terms of reliability. The N63 has a ton of problem areas that were as far as I can tell fixed in the N63TU. Having owned an S63 do not buy an N63 unless its had the CCP done, or its low milage well matintained. The N63TU is a much better choice.
Yep I'm not even considering anything pre-2014 (N63), only the TU which still has it's own issues, but isn't known to "blow-up".
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 04:09 PM   #13
erikbgt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post

Yes and this is where it's a torn feeling - both have the pros/cons. It will be garaged so that should help but I know about all the stupid brittle plastic clips randomly breaking (which are good to have extras on hand).

But will the N55 make me smile vs that V8 growl? It's why I'm in no rush for rush and making sure whatever N55 or N63TU has been in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 04:29 PM   #14
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikbgt View Post
Yes and this is where it's a torn feeling - both have the pros/cons. It will be garaged so that should help but I know about all the stupid brittle plastic clips randomly breaking (which are good to have extras on hand).

But will the N55 make me smile vs that V8 growl? It's why I'm in no rush for rush and making sure whatever N55 or N63TU has been in good shape.
With a Downpipe (Catted or cat delete) with an exhaust, N55s sounds pretty damn good if you ask me, even in stock form.
Appreciate 1