2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Did any one order the BMW base support system, lockable (AKA Roof Rack)? Is it robust

10-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

Question Did any one order the BMW base support system, lockable (AKA Roof Rack)? Is it robust

Hi All,
Did any one order the BMW base support system, lockable (AKA Roof Rack)? Is it robust?

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/owner/acc...4ubmV0,00.html

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/owner/acc...4ubmV0,00.html

Dad ordered it with the car, when we picked up the car just over a week ago now, the base support system (roof rack) was already fitted.

I had read on the net there were issues with taking it off and on, it is a bid fiddly till you get the hang of it. So he asked them to take it off, so they did or at least they tried, one of the handles that forms the locking mechanisim broke as they tried to take it off!

They had to get a big spanner to get it off becuase the release mechanisum had broken.

Dad went to pick up the new one day, guess what?
It broke when the dealer attempted to install it, again on the latching mechanism just in a different place.

So a 3rd one has now been ordered!

Is any one else having issues with this accessory? Or are we just unlucky?

If you have ordered it, I strongly suggest you get your dealer to demo taking it off and on!

Cheers
Paul
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Oh, this does not sound encouraging... I was thinking about buying this.

I would like to hear about other people's experience too, or maybe some subtle technique in installing/uninstalling the rack.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Breadhead
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

I have one ordered from the parts department at the SC factory. My PCD is 11/24, I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
eripers
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 523i

This is one of the few areas where I think it is better to not buy from BMW.
Check out http://thule.com/en-GB/GB/FitGuide.aspx#startApp. They provide endless with add-ons for all kind of equipment, and you can keep all of it if you should move to touring with roof rails next time. Just change fittings and keep the rest.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by eripers View Post
This is one of the few areas where I think it is better to not buy from BMW.
Check out http://thule.com/en-GB/GB/FitGuide.aspx#startApp. They provide endless with add-ons for all kind of equipment, and you can keep all of it if you should move to touring with roof rails next time. Just change fittings and keep the rest.
BMW's roof rack is apparently made by Thule anyways, and it costs less. In addition, Thule does not have anything on 2011 model year cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

3 attempt today, they got it on ok, but broke it taking it off.
4th one now on order!

Does any one else have one and taken it on and off a few times that Is not broken?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Sdb
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i

Does anyone have any pictures of the mounting points of the rack? The pictures on the BMW website don't show much. I wonder if it is the same cross bar shape and diameter as the thule??

Were the screws breaking because they were seized or just poor head design?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
ukgthor
Rep
Drives: E61 525d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmw103 View Post
3 attempt today, they got it on ok, but broke it taking it off.
4th one now on order!

Does any one else have one and taken it on and off a few times that Is not broken?
Now knowing how fickle this items seems to be, can I ask why are you persevering with it ?. Personally if it was me, I would be asking for a refund and looking for a better replacement / alternative.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I'm not a fan of the versions that clamp to the rain gutter. Thule makes a great low profile roof track that allows you to use a standard Thule kit. My 2011 X5 came without roof rack, and I went the Thule route. Very happy. I know "roof rails" on a 5 series sounds bad, but check them out. Very low profile, unobtrusive. It's be nice if BMW would just install the screw bosses at the factory like they do for the 3'er.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Sdb
Rep

I was not going to order the roof rack due to this thread - but I found one for sale on ebay for $240 and thought it would be worth a try. The ending result is that I am very happy with this rack. It is very easy to put on and take off. It looks far cleaner than the old door mount style and it is very secure.

I can see two (ok maybe three) main reasons why others are having problems with this rack.

1) In the install instructions it tells you to use the bolt supplied to clean the threads out from the gutter attachment points. When the car is painted the threads also get painted. I cleaned the threads numerous times in each of the attachment to ensure a smooth thread for future install and removal.

2) Tight is not right- Don't over tighten the attachment screw before using the lever to lock it in place. Just tighen to barely snug.

3) I used an anti seize compound on the threads- mabe overkill- but I'll be taking this off and putting it on numerous times per year for ski and bike attachments.

this is a crappy cell phone "post install" shot

Last edited by Sdb; 02-17-2011 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: poor spelling/ sorry
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
RH512
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive, C4S cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdb View Post
I was not going to order the roof rack due to this thread - but I found one for sale on ebay for $240 and thought it would be worth a try. The ending result is that I am very happy with this rack. It is very easy to put on and take off. It looks far cleaner than the old door mount style and it is very secure.

I can see two (ok maybe three) main reasons why others are having problems with this rack.

1) In the install instructions it tells you to use the bolt supplied to clean the threads out from the gutter attachment points. When the car is painted the threads also get painted. I cleaned the threads numerous times in each of the attachment to ensure a smooth thread for future install and removal.

2) Tight is not right- Don't over tighten the attachment screw before using the lever to lock it in place. Just tighen to barely snug.

3) I used an anti seize compound on the threads- mabe overkill- but I'll be taking this off and putting it on numerous times per year for ski and bike attachments.

this is a crappy cell phone "post install" shot
Good to hear it's workable and thanks for the tips on installing.

How noisy is it driving at speed with the just the bars on?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Sdb
Rep

I can hear wind noise over 40mph (60km/h)- its not unbearable but I will not keep the rack on all year. A fairing would reduce/eliminate this.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

Am I glad I have found this thread. I have just returned a 2nd trunk based rack and now have about $400 store credit in a local shop but no solution to carry my mtb. So I finally gave up on trunk racks for bikes. Until there is a hitch for this car I guess I will have to go with the factory base support system which I was trying to avoid from the beginning.

RH512,

So how long does it take to put the system on, or off? I would like to carry a mountain bike on the roof. Would you say 10 min is about right to install everything? The two bars, then the cross bar for the bike, then the bike on top of it all.

What is involved in the install of the base support system? Is it one screw per attachment or is there more to it?

Thanks a bunch!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
Sdb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huncowboy View Post
So how long does it take to put the system on, or off? I would like to carry a mountain bike on the roof. Would you say 10 min is about right to install everything? The two bars, then the cross bar for the bike, then the bike on top of it all.

What is involved in the install of the base support system? Is it one screw per attachment or is there more to it?

Thanks a bunch!!!
Once the rack has been properly set-up it takes less than 5 minutes to install everything.

The rack has one screw per attachment point. I am using the Yakima Frontloader bike rack- which easily mounts to these cross bars/ and then the bike mounts on the rack without removing the front wheel. This speeds up the process considerably.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdb View Post
Once the rack has been properly set-up it takes less than 5 minutes to install everything.

The rack has one screw per attachment point. I am using the Yakima Frontloader bike rack- which easily mounts to these cross bars/ and then the bike mounts on the rack without removing the front wheel. This speeds up the process considerably.
Thanks! That does not sound bad at all. No scratches? Wear and tear on the roof?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
Sdb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huncowboy View Post
Thanks! That does not sound bad at all. No scratches? Wear and tear on the roof?
In the box that the rack came in is a small foam pad. This pad that attaches to one side of the rack as it is being mounted. This easily allows a 'one person' install.

Here is a crude pic of the attachment point and the lever that sets the scew.

Last edited by Sdb; 03-04-2011 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: wrong pic link
Appreciate 0