2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Speed limiter

08-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Farmerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Speed limiter

Avoiding hijacking the "what if" thread.
In the UK we have a useful speed limiter function operated via the top left button on the steering wheel, it's simply marked LIM. The limiter works at all speeds you drive up to desired speed and then press it. Once selected you can accelerate and decelerate as normal but unless you use kickdown the car will not go per you selected speed. The fly by wire system ignores further requests from the accelerator pedal. It is like the device used on racing cars as a Pit Lane Speed Limiter. The system in useful in town or stop start traffic in roadworks when Cruise Control cannot be used due to low speeds. I use it in town as we have many speed cameras in the UK. It does have limitation unlike cruise that maintains a constant speed even down steep gradients the limiter has no breaking effect on hills, if the car builds speed due to gravity the green LiM sign on the dash flashes.
This limiter is not to be confused with the warning gong that may be selected from the iDrive, the IDrive gong just makes a noise at the limit you set it does not cut power. I do not have this setting enabled as it tells my wife that I am going too fast on the motorway when it's clear and I want to play. Cannot stand the hinge and her nagging as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I like this function a lot, as you say, very useful arond town where there are load of speed cameras. You can set it and forget it and know you won't exceed the limit. Although everyone else around appears to be going faster.

It feels very odd and I find that my foot over time gradually increases pressure on the accelorator as the car is not aceelorating.

one odditiy is that I'm surprised the information is not shown in the HUD. Whne you set the speed for the cruise control this is but not when setting the speed limit.
Appreciate 0