2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Album Art Again (Sorry!)

08-18-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
ah9999
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M Sport

Album Art Again (Sorry!)

F10 (535d) with Professional Media - iPhone 4 using USB connection with official Apple connection lead.

So it was all working fine, art displayed nicely and then it didn't - everything else is working fine but no art.

So I checked the car's setting (bluetooth audio disabled), telephone bluetooth enabled, everything seems to be working fine - except no album art.

Back to iTunes - I'm on the latest version (iTunes & iPhone), I deleted all of the album art (these are albums downloaded via iTunes) and then indivudally deleted then assigned art to each track (get info, artwork, copy and paste).....still no joy, hmmmm

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

Suggestion for narrowing down the culprit:

Grab some USB stick, copy a few of your synced iPhone songs from your PC harddisk to its root directory which are referenced in your iTunes library (use the "show in Windows Explorer" iTunes right-click option to ensure you copy the correct files with cover art) and insert the stick in your centre console: Is the cover art displaying now when the songs are played from the stick?
      08-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
ah9999
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M Sport

Gran Turismo, thank you for your help - much appreciated.

So.....

1. Reformatted a USB stick FAT32
2. Copied 16 x iTune tracks onto it
3. Installed USB stick into car
4. ......all 16 tracks are showing the album art

.....any ideas of where next to look from this point?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

Disclaimer: I'm playing all my audio from a very compact "Super Talent" USB stick anyway, because 1.) WMA has a lossless variant supported by the BMW Audio system I'm using for all my ripped CD's for ultimate audio quality, 2.) I'm simply too lazy for connecting the iPhone via USB or snap-in cradle every time I'm using the car, 3.) I'm not using the iPod functionality of my iPhone at all, never used any Walkman or iPod with earphones.

In your case we now know that nothing seems to be generallly wrong with the iDrive / audio system, since it's displaying cover art like mine from a USB stick. The iPhone is using the same USB connection, so something must be "wrong" now with the iPhone since you're saying that it worked initially.
I've checked my iPhone for possible iPod settings who could disable the cover art transfer, but found nothing, except maybe "Lyrics & Podcast info" (which is "on" by default here).

Did you perform an iOS update or jailbreak it lately, so could you possibly correlate the "lost" cover art with such an update?