2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Holy Grail of setups for a 550i?

06-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Husni08
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport

Holy Grail of setups for a 550i?

Curious to get opinions on your holy grail setups for performance/sound improvements for a 2013 550i M-Sport. I've had the car for six months now and the mod bug is settling in. No CELs is the one stip. Looking forward to hearing your feedback. Sound is not a major concern, just not an obnoxious amount of droning.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Excellent sound and no drone = M5 Comp Package exhaust (not just the mufflers, the WHOLE exhaust)

Anything else you'll get a pretty good amount of drone.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

M5 Mufflers for me, but I made my own exhaust flap control for when the wife and kids are in the car. You do get a low rumble drone at low RPM's if you leave all four pipes open. Not bad but its there.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

M5 Exhaust, Intakes, BMS Tune.

Downpipes will give you a CEL but they give great power, or just maybe get high flow catted pipes.
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Great question... I'm curious too. Somebody should chime in with swaybar ideas soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
make more money to afford an M5???
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
That makes no sense at all. I can afford an M5 but didn't purchase it because $35,000 over the 550 for 100 or so hp more isnt worth the price markup.

Besides the 550 is louder than the M5 when it comes to exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
Great question... I'm curious too. Somebody should chime in with swaybar ideas soon.
M5 swaybars are straight fit, you can put regular m5 ones or Competition ones as well.
2016 550i
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #9
Husni08
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
That makes no sense at all. I can afford an M5 but didn't purchase it because $35,000 over the 550 for 100 or so hp more isnt worth the price markup.

Besides the 550 is louder than the M5 when it comes to exhaust.

Guys like this make me wonder why I even post on forums at all.. FOH
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 m550i

Quote:
Excellent sound and no drone = M5 Comp Package exhaust (not just the mufflers, the WHOLE exhaust)

Anything else you'll get a pretty good amount of drone.

Would the full exhaust be a direct fit or would there be some type of fabrication needed? Cuz i know when you weld the mufflers you need to make a change due to the m5 piping diamator is 3" while the 550 is 2.75"
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husni08 View Post
Guys like this make me wonder why I even post on forums at all.. FOH
Don't see anything with what I posted that was outlandish
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #12
Husni08
Rep

Quote:
Don't see anything with what I posted that was outlandish
Look no further than the first three words. Telling someone to make more money to buy another car is the most asinine thing you could say in that situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husni08 View Post
Look no further than the first three words. Telling someone to make more money to buy another car is the most asinine thing you could say in that situation.

Black widow didnt say that krautmeister did
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep

Someone answer my question though lol
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #15
BoogieMan2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i 2016 M sport

The ideal set up for a 550i is more of a two part answer. Want the truth or a dream I can sell you both.

Reality- exhaust that's it. Maybe some super sticky tires and a JB4 and enjoy maybe even downpipes if you can find a can tool but honestly keep it as close O stock as possible, no issues to worry about and it still gives you what you want.

Dream- you could wait around and pick up some used intercoolers, intakes, exhaust m, doenpipes and then tune the car but here is the caveat. Your gonna have traction issues, like all of the time and unless your running an X drive it's gonna get annoying, tires will help and there are a few other things but this isn't an M5 and its gearing and traction stability system isn't gonna allow you to do a lot. You can't take traction off but you don't have a limited slip so be careful not to wreck your rocket ship.

Im tuned,downpipes, exhaust and intercooled and honestly the fun is great but after a long lasting CEL and always having my traction cock blocking me I'm basically done.

And to those that asked 90% of the things you'll find for an M5s can work on a 550i your in good shape there

Last edited by BoogieMan2; 06-20-2016 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Mis print
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #16
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan2
The ideal set up for a 550i is more of a two part answer. Want the truth or a dream I can sell you both.

Reality- exhaust that's it. Maybe some super sticky tires and a JB4 and enjoy maybe even downpipes if you can find a can tool but honestly keep it as close O stock as possible, no issues to worry about and it still gives you what you want.

Dream- you could wait around and pick up some used intercoolers, intakes, exhaust m, doenpipes and then tune the car but here is the caveat. Your gonna have traction issues, like all of the time and unless your running an X drive it's gonna get annoying, tires will help and there are a few other things but this isn't an M5 and its gearing and traction stability system isn't gonna allow you to do a lot. You can't take traction off but you don't have a limited slip so be careful not to wreck your rocket ship.

Im tuned,downpipes, exhaust and intercooled and honestly the fun is great but after a long lasting CEL and always having my traction cock blocking me I'm basically done.

And to those that asked 90% of the things you'll find for an M5s can work on a 550i your in good shape there
What's a good can tool you recommend to clear check engine codes? My Catless Downpipes are coming in next couple days
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #17
boneoutDO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550

I really like my setup:
dinan stage 4
dinan intercoolers
meistershaft gtc exhaust

I dynoed my car and was getting consistent numbers 435whp 475wtq on pump 91 octane. I think the car could really use an intake. For the exhaust I keep the valves open all the time and hardly ever experience any drone.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:09 AM   #18
BoogieMan2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i 2016 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman535 View Post
What's a good can tool you recommend to clear check engine codes? My Catless Downpipes are coming in next couple days
I ve heard BMS has the only one that works and they stopped making them so... Idk wait until one pops up for sale
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:37 AM   #19
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

I too have the 2013 Msport 550. The Dinan Mufflers have a GREAT sound to them. I also have the Dinan Intercoolers and Dinan intake matched up with a BMS stage 2 tune. Dinan Front and rear Control arms and shockwave tune. Digital dash from Bimmertech, Surround View retrofit, side camera retrofit, Carbon fiber dash OEM, CF front lip and coated with 4 coats of soft clear coat to protect it, CF rear spoiler, CF dipped Engine cover, and panels under hood. About to retrofit Night Vision and my Brembo brakes off a 2015 were just completed with paint as the OEM paint flakes off.

What you have to ask yourself is A: Do I want warranty work done to car without problems (4 or 6 year warranty depending on Preowned Certified) and B: Do I want a car that is a daily driver which is powerful but reliable, or something that will have more power but will be throwing lights and codes randomly. If you go the Dinan route, and if you shop on ebay and the forums, each mod will be around 1800 to 2000 a pop. I personally installed every mod I have on the car with the exception of the shock-wave software as that has to be dealer installed.

Also you need to know, if you have the full electronic suspension. IF you do, THERE ARE NO FRONT SWAY BARS made for the car. because the front sway goes into a housing that the car controls. The best you can do on the front end is install Polyurethane bushings which are about 80 bucks.

M5 exhaust is nice, but will need welding and modifications to run with your car. You can get a decent gain and a sweet sound with a great deal less work with Dinan mufflers. There are many haters of the Dinan performance parts, but they are the only thing that will honor your warranty on your car for the first 4 years and they run with no Lights popping on or blowing things up... They have a stage 6 which uses larger parts inside the Turbos for more consistent high end, but they are fight legal battles with CA emissions, so those have been pulled currently.

Once your car goes out of warranty, you can check into downpipes, but might want to spend the extra dough and get units with high flow cats installed in them. Else you will get gas smell in the car (or so I hear). Then there are Meth kits with are about a 30 HP bolt on.

Personally, the full Dinan stage 5 install will yield 580+ foot pounds of torque and give you very reliable driving. Expensive option, but can be negated with shopping for the parts and doing the work yourself. Took me 40 hours for Intercoolers and Intake over Columbus day weekend this past year. But not terribly hard, just time consuming. You will need to at least be a decent wrench turner to install these items though as there is some modification of the fronts radiator cover to cut and modification of the secondary Inter-cooler reservoir bracket.

Running the Dinan hardware and BMS stage 2 Chip, I am getting 0 to 60 times of 4 seconds currently running 93 octane. Boost can be bumped up a few PSI and there is an aggressive waste gate setting, but I have just been running it as it came from BMS.

PIAA makes a nice set of LED bulbs that are plug and play for you fog light housings and not only look good, but match the OEM HID headlights.

I am also working on a custom set of Morimoto Bi Xenon bulbs into a 2nd set of Fog lights housings. I am at the point of installing them and even using the factory Veritical screw adjustment for proper beam height.

Feel free to PM me if you want to speak to someone who has spent a great deal of money doing mods the right way and doing all the work himself. Many people will put down the Dinan hardware, but I have been quite please with the expertise of their AMERICAN engineers who help you with any install and the engineering of each item is the best I have every seen.

...Mike

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 06-21-2016 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2016, 06:07 AM   #20
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Also, Badblack makes a custom intake setup for the 550, which replaced the entire intake assembly with filters. He makes a custom set of K and N type material to work with factory intake/Dinan intake as well. They are around 300 for the OEM filter replacement and around 2 grand for the entire Intake replacement. I have the OEM filter replacement built into my mods as well. It is a reusable foam like material which needs to be oiled every so often like the K and N filters require. No one else makes these OEM replacements. The set i received were very well made and he uses the BMW OEM plastic Filter shround and then replaces the paper filter with the Foam. I was pretty pleased with his work.

If you google Steve Dinan and BMW performance videos, he goes through his various products and why they perform well. The Dinan supplemental intake uses the air building up on the Radiator to act like a RAM air effect. They had done wind tunnel and dyno checking on this process so your factory intake is supplemented with a 1.75 inch tube from Dinan that incorporates the RAM air effect. They also retain the engine braces by including the reinforcements into the design of their intake. Their carbon fiber design looks wicked as heck.

I forgot to mention I am running Dinan 20 inch rims with 265 Michelin Super Sports on all 4 rims as I have X Drive. No problems keeping power to cement although finding the right Launch point can be tricky between 2200 and 3000 RPM. Too much, you break the tires loose just enough to blow your times with traction control or wheel hop and too little, you loose rev power.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #21
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Have not done a full pic spread of the car yet, but here are a few pics I do have...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #22
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Holy Carbon Fiber Batman!!

Looks good though.

I have to agree with the comment about Dinan, I have a few parts on my E39 M5. It is funny as the cars get cheaper the hatred for Dinan grows, when I stopped visiting the M5Board people were going to Home Depot to do mods...
We are heading to the Dinan open house day prior to Oktoberfest, excited to finally make it to his facility.

If I go F10 I will be hunting Dinan parts

Matt
Appreciate 0