2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Trunk Subwoofer w/o Ski Pass-through

11-19-2015, 02:06 AM   #67
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

The subs will be facing forward with the ski hole open.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 02:42 AM   #68
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

$hit! Just learned some new shit lol! I don't want to lose too much trunk space. I was willing to give up half but nothing more. Okay I'll see how yours turns out
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #69
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
Ski hole muffles sound and kick drums and bass drums sound like shit.....
But thats the job of a midbass driver not subs..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #70
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They still play thru the subs and it sounds crappy. But not with the 4th order, my friend has 2 fi 12's in a 2-1 4th order and his bass sounds awesome. He listens to mostly rock and dub step and kick drums and bass drums sound really good. I Hear what your sayin but the stock speakers or any 4" woofer is not going to play super awesome loud mid bass and those worthless 8" woofers under the seats are in the wrong place to be able to sound good and blend with the other speakers, Bmw refers to them as subs not mid bass.
Correct but with the right midbass 8's configured correctly should work right Nelson?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #71
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those 8" woofers fire directly into the bottom of the seats, they will never have clean clear mid bass sound. A mid bass woofer produces midrange sound and bass sound at the same time, if the mid bass speaker is firing into the bottom of the seat how are we supposed to hear the midrange sounds? You can't which is why the 8's under the seat are subs not mid bass.
Lets see how yours turns out. Like I said before I'll be swapping the speakers with the Gladen Extreme doors and 8's and go from there. BTW... sent u a PM about your diffuser install.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #72
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Those 8" woofers fire directly into the bottom of the seats, they will never have clean clear mid bass sound. A mid bass woofer produces midrange sound and bass sound at the same time, if the mid bass speaker is firing into the bottom of the seat how are we supposed to hear the midrange sounds? You can't which is why the 8's under the seat are subs not mid bass.
You're completely off. the 8' underseat seat are midbass drivers, the 4" are not capable of playing midbass frequencies. There's a lot of misinformation on this thread. The 8'' midbass replacement from Jehnerts and Gladen are perfect midbass drivers for these cars.. How do i know? not only am i an installer i also complete in meca and iasca.

Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #73
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I don't agree with you at all and those woofers under the seats are subs not mid bass drivers. If you don't think so then why do they play sub frequencies?? They are sub woofers not mid bass, bass is Non directional but mids and tweeters are. Please explain how a mid range is under the seat?? Or better yet how it's a mid bass subwoofer???
Even bava sound calls it a subwoofer.
You clearly know more about this than me. I've installed dozens of custom systems on BMWs from basic systems with our PP82dsp to full 25k SQ system. You need to spend some time on DIYMA. Oh and wait until you start getting battery drain issues with your set up. This car can't support a SPL set up. You will regret going this route, check e90post for some of the issues guys be having with spl systems. I will refrain from posting on your thread, i feel like i'm hijacking it.

I'm pretty sure you've heard about Hybrid Audio, one of their comp car have custom 8'' underseat midbass.
http://hybrid-audio.com/bmw-535xi-gallery/bmw-535xi/
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #74
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

I've played 25 hz through my underseat "speakers" and actually heard it, but these speakers also are playing notes well within the range of midbass, so in our cars I would say they are acting as both.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #75
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_civ_eng View Post
I've played 25 hz through my underseat "speakers" and actually heard it, but these speakers also are playing notes well within the range of midbass, so in our cars I would say they are acting as both.
I'm not debating this anymore, Nelson can call them what ever he wants. Bmw says thier subs and since mine don't play vocals I'm calling them subs too.

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 11-20-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #76
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

As a matter of fact, I'm not posting anything else about my stereo in these forums anymore. I don't know why I even bother, as soon as I post something, some hard on starts in with his bullshit It happened with my brakes, a tune and now the stereo f' this I'm done.

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 11-20-2015 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #77
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I'm not posting anything else about my stereo in these forums anymore. I don't know why I even bother, as soon as I post something, some hard on starts in with his bullshit It happened with my brakes, a tune and now the stereo fuck this I'm done.
Mr. Longteeth,

Haterz gon' hate, as they say. So please do not stop posting due to them, as I have found a good bit of your posts very helpful (case and point, downpipes). I'm sure quite a few other people would also agree, seeing as you have a pretty good rep./posts ratio.

Sincerely,
J. Bone
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2015, 12:06 AM   #78
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Mr LongTeeth...that's funny! anyways, good info here bro no need to blow this out of proportion. i get a lot of good info from Nelson hence why i started leaning towards the Jehnert and Gladen's. i would have never knew. that's why i like this forum. lot's of pros and cons about anything and everything. it's just a forum.

here's a good example of a thread i created and people thought i was racist or what not but i just brushed it off my shoulder.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1125854
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 02:46 AM   #79
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Mr. Longteeth,

Haterz gon' hate, as they say. So please do not stop posting due to them, as I have found a good bit of your posts very helpful (case and point, downpipes). I'm sure quite a few other people would also agree, seeing as you have a pretty good rep./posts ratio.

Sincerely,
J. Bone
Your absolutely right man, I really appreciate your comment and I'm glad you find my posts helpful. I don't want to leave you hangin, that would not be cool. I'll post my whole install with pics and prolly a YouTube video in my own thread since this was originally your thread

Thanks again,
Teddylongteeth
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 04:48 AM   #80
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

LongTeeth
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #81
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
You clearly know more about this than me. I've installed dozens of custom systems on BMWs from basic systems with our PP82dsp to full 25k SQ system. You need to spend some time on DIYMA. Oh and wait until you start getting battery drain issues with your set up. This car can't support a SPL set up. You will regret going this route, check e90post for some of the issues guys be having with spl systems. I will refrain from posting on your thread, i feel like i'm hijacking it.

I'm pretty sure you've heard about Hybrid Audio, one of their comp car have custom 8'' underseat midbass.
http://hybrid-audio.com/bmw-535xi-gallery/bmw-535xi/
Nelson,
Let's just put this behind us mang, obviously you know more about car audio than I do. I don't have any first place trophys for car audio competition, but I'm willing to go further in my quest for good sounding bass than most I've seen in these f10 forums. I Found this thread exactly around the time I was about to do my install, I thought I would share my thoughts and results ( which in my opinion were not steller). So now I'm going to the next level with my huge amp and above average subs and box that will require electrical upgrades. This will either work or it won't but I'm willing to try and post my Results good or bad. Believe me if this doesnt work I'm not going to report back that's it's awesome, everything I'm doing is reversible and I will take all this stuff out and sell it if I have electrical problems. I welcome your thoughts, experience and hope you will check out my thread when I get this done.

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 12-05-2017 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #82
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Good stuff MrLongTeeth as I'm really looking forward to this box you've been telling me. So crap is my only option going ported to prevent the gas door from popping?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #83
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Good stuff MrLongTeeth as I'm really looking forward to this box you've been telling me. So crap is my only option going ported to prevent the gas door from popping?
The box design has nothing to do with it, as long as you point the subs into the back seat it won't pop the gas door open. If you face it towards the back of the car it will pop thd gas door open. When I first found this out I didn't believe it, but when I put my box in facing the back of the car it popped the gas door open within 5 seconds while playing it loud.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #84
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth
Quote:
Mr. Longteeth,

Sincerely,
J. Bone
Your absolutely right man, I really appreciate your comment and I'm glad you find my posts helpful. I don't want to leave you hangin, that would not be cool. I'll post my whole install with pics and prolly a YouTube video in my own thread since this was originally your thread

Thanks again,
Teddylongteeth
Man you have no idea how glad I am that you are going to still pull through with your install. I check the audio section religiously to see if you've added anything to the thread lol. We are rooting for you believe me, and we admire that you have the guts to do it all and see if it works. Can't wait to see the finished product. When are you aiming for it to be done?
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #85
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
Man you have no idea how glad I am that you are going to still pull through with your install. I check the audio section religiously to see if you've added anything to the thread lol. We are rooting for you believe me, and we admire that you have the guts to do it all and see if it works. Can't wait to see the finished product. When are you aiming for it to be done?
Thanks man, I'm hoping to have the box done the first week of December, my builder isn't available until then. He said any time after dec 1st, so I'm going to his shop every night until it's done. I have all my zero gauge wire and billet amp connections, Im waiting for Black Friday to order my battery and some other things I need to hopefully save some money. I'll start my new thread after I get my box finished, and I'll report back to the thread to update the condition of the batteries and if I encounter any electrical problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #86
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Mr LongTeeth lol...is the setup going to be stealth or are you planning on having everything open like a show trunk? Some of the pictures Nelson posted look pretty damn sick!

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 11-21-2015 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 02:31 AM   #87
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
My LongTeeth lol...is the setup going to be stealth or are you planning on having everything open like a show trunk? Some of the pictures Nelson posted look pretty damn sick!
I'm not planning on doing anything fancy or show quality, since my amp is quite big I'm thinking of mounting it in a false floor but Im not sure yet. When I'm coming up with a plan to do something (like my stereo install) I will just open my trunk and sit there with beer in my hand with some good music playing in the background and stare into the trunk and let the ideas come to me like a prophet receiving a message from God but really that's how I get my ideas. I'm doing this process this week end
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 07:32 AM   #88
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 1