2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding HOW TO: Activating internet service (Internet via Customer Mobile Phone) on f10

05-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
cove
Germany
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d F10

HOW TO: Activating internet service (Internet via Customer Mobile Phone) on f10

HOW TO:
Activating internet service (Internet via Customer Mobile Phone) on f10?
I have activating BMW ConnectedDrive account and I have Internet option in menu.
But when I run it I get a message that Internet service is not available in my country
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
miotoo
Rep
Drives: F10

The phone connects to the car via bluetooth, and the phone internet connection needs to be 'shared' - which is tethering. I had exactly the same message when I forgot to enable bluetooth tethering on my iphone. After enabling, it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
loop1070
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i Jet Black

Do you guys know if this be done on android phones with mobile hot spot??
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
cove
Germany
Rep

I have iphone 4, and :
shared internet connection (tethering)
enable bluetooth on my ipnone
enable bluetooth in my car
paired phone with bmw bluetooth
activating BMW ConnectedDrive account
in avaible services in car I have Internet option

But when I run it I get a message that Internet service is not available in my country.

Why the internet is not working ?

Last edited by cove; 05-05-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by loop1070 View Post
Do you guys know if this be done on android phones with mobile hot spot??
The Android mobile hot spot is a Wi-Fi hot spot. What the car wants is Bluetooth using DUN Dial Up Networking Profile

Although there are some apps that give Android this profile I have not managed to get the Car to work with any Android phone (ignoring rooted phones) or custom firmware. At least with Android 2.3
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
GIANITALY
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 M/MPPK

Garage List
  [0.00]
So You Telling Me That Will Not Connect To The Iphone.? I Have The Iphone 4s And The Same Happen To Me , No Connection.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
cove
Germany
Rep

Not Connect To The Iphone !

In what country are shared internet over mobile phone available ?
Is in the UK available ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veco View Post
I have iphone 4, and :
shared internet connection (tethering)
enable bluetooth on my ipnone
enable bluetooth in my car
paired phone with bmw bluetooth
activating BMW ConnectedDrive account
in avaible services in car I have Internet option

But when I run it I get a message that Internet service is not available in my country.

Why the internet is not working ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Internet is available in the UK
If you have a BMW assist account it seems to only be able to use the cars built in data.
The manual and the car seem to infer that you can use it via the phone by selecting Data via bluetooth in the iDrive but I've never got the Data via bluetooth to work
BMW Live uses it via the mobile phone, so may be the Data via bluetooth will only work if you don't have BMW assist!
Jon
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
rubik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i TiAG

Latest ICS Android phones (in my case, GSM Galaxy Nexus) has bluetooth tethering support built-in. I can confirm that my F10 internet works with my Android Galaxy Nexus
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskdale View Post
BMW Live uses it via the mobile phone, so may be the Data via bluetooth will only work if you don't have BMW assist!
Jon
That is correct
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by veco View Post
HOW TO:
Activating internet service (Internet via Customer Mobile Phone) on f10?
I have activating BMW ConnectedDrive account and I have Internet option in menu.
But when I run it I get a message that Internet service is not available in my country
If your car has the SA633 option (Assist) and the SA614 option (Internet) then I guess it was imported to your country from other European country (German or UK spec).
Those cars have Internet working over the Assist services and it will not work in your country.

If your car has the SA644 and SA614 options then the Internet should work over you phone's data connection.

In any case if the car has the CIC (SA609) and the Combox (SA6VC) we can retrofit the Internet and BMW Online/Live.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
Blkthght
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 CP Singapore Grey

Quote:
The Android mobile hot spot is a Wi-Fi hot spot. What the car wants is Bluetooth using DUN Dial Up Networking Profile

Although there are some apps that give Android this profile I have not managed to get the Car to work with any Android phone (ignoring rooted phones) or custom firmware. At least with Android 2.3

Just curious, but did you specifically try with the apps "FoxFi" or "BlueDun"? I ask because I am thinking of paying someone to do the coding for my US vehicle and I am unsure if the bluetooth tethering feature will work with my samsung galaxy sII. I downloaded those two apps because they specifically support bluetooth tethering and each have the bluetooth DUN profile. But of course I have not been able to test them yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If your car has the SA633 option (Assist) and the SA614 option (Internet)
If I may One quick question Patryk as you seem to be the most knowledgeable on this topic. - If you have the Assist Option and you are outside the mobile coverage area used for the Assist my iDrive asks you to check the bluetooth connection for Data. If I have a suitable phone which connects for Bluetooth Data the car says it has a data via bluetooth connection but it never uses it. Should this work? and is it possible to get it to work? In my Area my mobile phone has signal but the Car does not so it would be wonderful if it could use the data via the phone.

Any Ideas - Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
cove
Germany
Rep

My car has SA633(Assist) and SA614( Intenet) and yes it has European spec.
You say that you can do, that internet over mobile phone work.

I have esys 3.18 and I can programing my car if you say how can I do it.
PM if you wont or send email on vzinic@yahoo.com.

Thanks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
If your car has the SA633 option (Assist) and the SA614 option (Internet) then I guess it was imported to your country from other European country (German or UK spec).
Those cars have Internet working over the Assist services and it will not work in your country.

If your car has the SA644 and SA614 options then the Internet should work over you phone's data connection.

In any case if the car has the CIC (SA609) and the Combox (SA6VC) we can retrofit the Internet and BMW Online/Live.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkthght View Post
Just curious, but did you specifically try with the apps "FoxFi" or "BlueDun"? I ask because I am thinking of paying someone to do the coding for my US vehicle and I am unsure if the bluetooth tethering feature will work with my samsung galaxy sII. I downloaded those two apps because they specifically support bluetooth tethering and each have the bluetooth DUN profile. But of course I have not been able to test them yet.
I did try FoxFi but not the BlueDun. However I have just upgraded my Samsung S2 to ICS (Android V4) and that does have the Bluetooth DUN profile and the car does see it and says it can use it although in my case it does not. perhaps because I have the assist option. Although I don't understand why the iDrive allows you to specify it but won't use it!

it says it's using Bluetooth Data

But it never does - even the phone says it's connected but not transferring data - You then end up with

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
Blkthght
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 CP Singapore Grey

Quote:
I did try FoxFi but not the BlueDun. However I have just upgraded my Samsung S2 to ICS (Android V4) and that does have the Bluetooth DUN profile and the car does see it and says it can use it although in my case it does not. perhaps because I have the assist option. Although I don't understand why the iDrive allows you to specify it but won't use it!
Wow....must be incredibly frustrating. When you say that you have the BMW assist, are you referring to the standard roadside assistance that lets you call for help? Or do you mean what is referred to here in the US as the "convenience plan" that BMW charges $200 per year and includes google search? If the latter, then I agree that perhaps that is what is preventing you from connecting. I read somewhere that bmw assist customers are first routed through their servers, and that could be problematic since the bluetooth data connection is using an ip address supplied by your mobile carrier and not the one used by the car's radio.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
misfitHERO
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

How can I find out if my car has the sa633/sa614 or sa644/sa614 option? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
doctom
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 528i

I have the same problem.
Picked up my car on Monday, and at first I had Transferring data via bluetooth device checkbox.
When I activated Connected drive I got the BMW Apps, Weather, country info, etc. working, but lost the above option, and cannot connect to internet for browsing.

This really sucks
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #19
rubik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i TiAG

After you have paired your phone and enabled data transfer, go "Services" in the main menu and update avalible services. This is what i had to do to use the internet function. Additionally, although your phone has tethering capabilities, your phone service provider (such as those in US) might have disabled the tethering plan because they charge extra for that. You might want to make sure you can really tether by testing it on your PC first.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
doctom
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 528i

@rubik
I tried that, tethering is working with a PC connected through bluetooth.

The car is connected to Iphone, but even after updating Services, there is still no option to Transfer data via bluetooth device.

Do you have ConnectedDrive activated?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #21
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post

I rented a 2014 528i last month and after connecting my blackberry bold I was able to stream music and get emails the same way that I can on my son's 2011 e92. Additionally however with the 528, I was able to use a browser and see online google map images. If I bought the Live Internet Activation kit for the e92, would it offer the same option?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:33 AM   #22
serafim
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Station 520D

Can anybody share the parameters have you done ?? Or send me by private message-...
I would like to try..
Appreciate 0