2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding BSW Speaker Upgrade

09-01-2015, 04:33 AM   #89
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy5 View Post
You can create a much better system without bav altogether, but the plug and play factor and cost are tough to beat.
I agree!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #90
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Match has new subs rated at 150rms with 35-135hz. It should be on crutchfield site soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #91
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
Match has new subs rated at 150rms with 35-135hz. It should be on crutchfield site soon.
U have a link to those subs? Really on the fence with sticking with the 8's underneath the seats or get a custom sealed enclosure with shallow 12's?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #92
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep

http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/e...s-8b-bmw2.html
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #93
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do u know what how much these are running for Paul?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #94
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep

Maybe $300 for pair on crutchfield when it becomes available soon. Not sure though. Match has 100w on crutchfield site.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #95
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe $300 for pair on crutchfield when it becomes available soon. Not sure though. Match has 100w on crutchfield site.
These better than the sw8?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #96
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

Ghost Sub System Installation Video

As others are eagerly awaiting the arrival of BSW's Ghost Sub System, I too can't wait to get my hands on these highly anticipated subs to round out the complete BSW 16-speaker conversion on my F10.

I received a very informative update email from the good folks at BAVSOUND yesterday, which included details of my pending shipment and it offered some interesting recommendations regarding the tuning of the subs upon installation.

I've included a link to another of their excellent instructional videos that deals with the installation of their new Ghost Sub System, so if any of you are still on the fence regarding this plug & play upgrade, give the video a view...

Also, here's an excerpt from the email detailing their recommendations for tuning guidelines upon installation of the subs:

Let's look at some tuning guidelines -
To optimize the performance of the woofers to have the biggest impact on your listening experience, we designed them so that they can really rock out at all volume levels - this means that they can distort in certain situations, and you need to be aware of some basic settings to prevent this.

ALL Audio System Types - Bass and treble must be set to flat. Turn the speed volume setting on your radio (or iDrive menu) to the minimum setting. This ensures a clean, balanced signal is sent to the amplifier, and ultimately your woofers.

If using external audio devices, turn all internal EQ functions off - make sure the aux volume (if your BMW is equipped) is turned to the middle. Again, a clean signal is a must.

If you have a HiFi system, you may adjust the bass up or down a couple of notches based on the overall system volume - keep an ear out for distortion and adjust the bass accordingly.

If you have the Logic 7 or Harman Kardon systems, turn the Logic 7 processing off - set the EQ to flat (sometimes a notch or two down on the 80hz setting). Trust us - the "processing" it offers only detracts from an optimal soundstage.

We've optimized the woofers to perform flawlessly in the factory enclosures, and by every audible metric they absolutely BLOW away the factory woofers - tighter, punchier, mid-bass, and a colossal improvement in low-end extension. If after installation you want even more bass response, let us know and we'll go over some options.

Further, you'll want to allow a solid 10-12 hours of break-in listening time for the woofers. The surrounds need to warm up, as do the spiders and adhesives used to secure everything together.

Last edited by pdrf10; 12-08-2015 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #97
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

awesome video tutorial!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #98
rji2goleez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528xi

I've been corresponding with the BSW people and I should be receiving my ghost subs soon. Can't wait to hear them with the Stage 1s and the bimmertech amp.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #99
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

2011 F10 Enhanced Premium Hi-Fi 600W OEM Amp Detail

While eagerly awaiting the arrival of the supplemental gasket material to complete the installation of my BAVSOUND Ghost Subs, I came across some paperwork that details the power output for the 16-speaker 9-channel digital amplifier (totaling 600 watts) offered in the 2011 F10. Here's the breakdown:
  • 7 X 50 watts for the midrange and tweeter clusters in the dash (1), doors (4), and rear parcel shelf (2); (350 watts total)
  • 2 X 125 watts for the subs beneath the front seats; (250 watts total)
I was curious about the power output to the subs from the OEM amplifier in relation to the BAVSOUND specs, which are rated at "100W RMS / 200W peak power handling per woofer" (as found on their website).

For what it's worth...
      12-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #100
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10 View Post
While eagerly awaiting the arrival of the supplemental gasket material to complete the installation of my BAVSOUND Ghost Subs, I came across some paperwork that details the power output for the 16-speaker 9-channel digital amplifier (totaling 600 watts) offered in the 2011 F10. Here's the breakdown:
  • 7 X 50 watts for the midrange and tweeter clusters in the dash (1), doors (4), and rear parcel shelf (2); (350 watts total)
  • 2 X 125 watts for the subs beneath the front seats; (250 watts total)
I was curious about the power output to the subs from the OEM amplifier in relation to the BAVSOUND specs, which are rated at "100W RMS / 200W peak power handling per woofer" (as found on their website).

For what it's worth...
Looks like the subs will be maximized
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #101
DonJkZ
Rep
Drives: 520d

Interesting to see that the Bavsound website now shows an addition of rear deck tweeters in to the Stage One upgrade for the BMW F10 with Base Stereo (No tweeters from factory) system. Hmmmm, wonder if having the additional rear tweeters will make a huge difference
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #102
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJkZ View Post
Interesting to see that the Bavsound website now shows an addition of rear deck tweeters in to the Stage One upgrade for the BMW F10 with Base Stereo (No tweeters from factory) system. Hmmmm, wonder if having the additional rear tweeters will make a huge difference
I wouldn't think so...your rears are pretty much fill ins. Still no impressions from anybody regarding the subs other than the one posted earlier
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #103
DonJkZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I wouldn't think so...your rears are pretty much fill ins. Still no impressions from anybody regarding the subs other than the one posted earlier
True true, that's what I was thinking, but I guess anything to make the sound better eh? (At a reasonable cost ofc!)

Yes I'm still waiting on mine (expected February) and I too am keen to hear from others how it's going :P
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #104
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True true, that's what I was thinking, but I guess anything to make the sound better eh? (At a reasonable cost ofc!)

Yes I'm still waiting on mine (expected February) and I too am keen to hear from others how it's going :P
Probably a bit...better to keep them timber matched anyways. Volumes will be more pronounced in the front since they are your main stage speakers. The rears like I said are just more for fill ins. Are you running an aftermarket amp?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #105
DonJkZ
Rep

Quote:
Probably a bit...better to keep them timber matched anyways. Volumes will be more pronounced in the front since they are your main stage speakers. The rears like I said are just more for fill ins. Are you running an aftermarket amp?
Currently no amp, I'm going through the upgrade slowly so spending the money doesn't hurt so much 😂
Planning on fitting the Bav Subs and seeing how they do, then probably get the bimmertech amp after a bit more information 🙌🏼
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #106
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Currently no amp, I'm going through the upgrade slowly so spending the money doesn't hurt so much ��
Planning on fitting the Bav Subs and seeing how they do, then probably get the bimmertech amp after a bit more information ����
aweesome! i would say hold off on those rear tweeters and put it towards the Bimmertech amp...so far all reviews have come up positive!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #107
DonJkZ
Rep

Quote:
aweesome! i would say hold off on those rear tweeters and put it towards the Bimmertech amp...so far all reviews have come up positive!
Haha yes lots of positives about the amp...I have an old pioneer sub and amp I might just add into the trunk after all the bimmertech amp wiring is done. No idea if it's any good LOL (More basssssss pls!)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #108
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Ghost Sub Review

Finally completed the installation of my Ghost Subs last week, and overall, the sound quality of the new speakers is rather impressive (but not overwhelming). Truth be told, they are a nice compliment to the BSW Stage One 14-speaker upgrade completed back in 2013. And like the Stage One speakers, they really come to life with increasing volume levels (providing a smooth, deep bass); the new drivers also displace a fair amount of air, as the under-seat sensation and visceral feel of thumping bass is moderately enhanced when compared to the OEM subs.

Speaking of the OEM subs replaced, oddly enough the Premium Hi-Fi units felt more substantial and weighty than the BSW Ghost Subs (even though the OEM units appeared to be constructed with more plastic than the quality metal framework of the BSW units). See attached photo below for further:

Name:  Subs.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  125.8 KB

I'm still in the break-in period with the Ghost Subs, so I haven't really pushed them too much. I suspect, however, that once they're broken in I'll have an even better opinion of their performance and ability to offer a plug & play option to increased bass response (without the investment and technical details associated with the alternative option of running an improved amp and sacrificing trunk space for the true thump of much bigger and more powerful subs mounted in a separate box).

Now for some installation notes:
  • I started with the driver's side first, and quickly became frustrated in my attempt to pull the plastic enclosure (with the subs left intact); it was simply easier to remove the OEM driver from the enclosure and replace it with the upgraded unit
  • Although I did the installation myself, I could have used a separate set of hands to hold the seat up and back when dealing with the driver's side, as there's limited space given the proximity of the steering wheel in relation to the 'B' pillar
  • After installing the supplemental gasket material to the bottom of the drivers, be very careful when tightening down the Torx screws mounting the drivers to the enclosure. The gasket material provides a fair amount of resistance, and in order to prevent rattling, the subs need to be properly seated. Tighten them too much, and the screw heads snap off - - yes, I learned the hard way... A flexible screw/drill driver and the crafty angular application of a replacement screw & washer came to the rescue!
  • The passenger-side installation was much easier for me, as there's substantially more working room. As such, I was eventually able to remove the plastic enclosure (but only after removing the speaker first, as I found the cavity created by the removal of the speaker provided much more finger-gripping leverage in pulling that sucker out). Putting the enclosure back in, however, was a bit of a challenge. The BSW installation video cuts away from this process, so I soon discovered that you have to apply a decent amount of lateral pressure to the floor-mounted HVAC duct feeding the rear passenger compartment in order to provide access and facilitate the reinstallation of the enclosure.
  • Bottom line: just leave the enclosures in the vehicle and rather pull the subs instead!
  • Regarding the issue of reusing the seat bolts, I used a Loctite stick to recoat the bolts prior to reinstallation

After installation, I tried setting my eq to the BAVSOUND recommended specs and found that their settings just weren't suitable for my needs. I did, however, make some minor adjustments using their recommendations as a guideline, and found that the quality of bass response improved accordingly. I know this is purely subjective based on each listener's tastes and needs, so to each their own...

Overall, I'm happy with the upgraded subs and as previously mentioned, feel they truly compliment the Stage One speakers. I'm looking forward to cranking them up once the break-in period lapses, and believe they'll grow on me even more once I can unleash their potential with greater volume.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by pdrf10; 01-06-2016 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #109
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10 View Post
:
good stuff! let us know if you notice a difference after the break in period
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #110
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

anyone get a chance to see what the mounting depth is for these subs or what the mounting depth of the underseat enclosure is?
Appreciate 0