2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Swapping runflats for winter

10-30-2014, 02:16 AM   #1
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Swapping runflats for winter

Need a little advice, if I may.

Two years ago I bought some 19 inch Avant Garde rims and snow tires (non-runflat). The rims are now oxidized (a completely different story). To get them sanded and painted, it will cost quite a bit and it may be the last year I need snow tires. So, my question is should I just use the OEM rims with the snow tires? I've heard you shouldn't keep swapping RFTs as they lose their seal. I would like to think only doing it once wouldn't be an issue.

Appreciate any insight. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 03:02 AM   #2
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

I bought my car from BMW official dealer. All services including tire service have been done by the dealer. The first year I didn't have nothing but the OEM 18" style 350m rims, so have swapped the summer RFT Continental to winter Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8. The next spring the dealer has returned the RFT so I put the winter tires on shelf. Never had any questions about my tires, also never asked by the dealer about my current aftermarket 20" wheels.

May be you noticed, there were the Tales from the Crypt here on forum, telling that some dealers did not approve front lip installation without a rear trunk spoiler because of incorrect aerodynamics - world is large and people sometimes may take a joke for serious. Who knows
Appreciate 0