2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 528i xdrive misfire

01-09-2022, 01:24 AM   #1
Sammy.K
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 528i xdrive

F10 528i xdrive misfire

Hello everyone
Looking for some help on trying to get my car back on the road. It’s a 2013 F10 528i xdrive. I keep getting P0302 P0303 and P0171.

I changed the plugs and I keep getting misfires in cylinder 2 and 3. I switched the coils from 2-3 with 1-4 and the misfire is still at 2-3.
I checked engine compression and all 4 cylinders sat at 165-170psi. Car is completely stock.
One thing I noticed, when I cold start the car there are no issues at all, once the rpm settles down after first 40-50 seconds misfires starts and goes into limp mode. Also if I keep the rpm above 1500 the car drives fine and does not misfire.
You can see the video below when the misfire starts at approximately 0:45 or so, then it goes into limp.
I checked vacuum lines with a vacuum pump gun, it holds vacuum fine, I checked PCV diaphragm, looks fine. I might have a small leak at the valve cover gasket, not sure if this could cause the issues I’m having.
I didn’t check my injectors, but in assuming it would get worse under load, but it’s not, but I could be wrong. Next I’m gonna swap injectors from 2-3 to 1-4 assuming they have the same flow rate.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Video

Last edited by Sammy.K; 01-26-2022 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 09:53 PM   #2
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy.K View Post
Hello everyone
Looking for some help on trying to get my car back on the road. It’s a 2013 F10 528i xdrive. I keep getting P0302 P0303 and P0171.

I changed the plugs and I keep getting misfires in cylinder 2 and 3. I switched the coils from 2-3 with 1-4 and the misfire is still at 2-3.
I checked engine compression and all 4 cylinders sat at 165-170psi. Car is completely stock.
One thing I noticed, when I cold start the car there are no issues at all, once the rpm settles down after first 40-50 seconds misfires starts and goes into limp mode. Also if I keep the rpm above 1500 the car drives fine and does not misfire.
You can see the video below when the misfire starts at approximately 0:45 or so, then it goes into limp.
I checked vacuum lines with a vacuum pump gun, it holds vacuum fine, I checked PCV diaphragm, looks fine. I might have a small leak at the valve cover gasket, not sure if this could cause the issues I’m having.
I didn’t check my injectors, but in assuming it would get worse under load, but it’s not, but I could be wrong. Next I’m gonna swap injectors from 2-3 to 1-4 assuming they have the same flow rate.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
How did you check the the diaphragm on the PCV system... that cap is molded onto the valve cover, and their is not video that you were talking about
      01-26-2022, 12:01 AM   #3
Sammy.K
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 528i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesmarinara75 View Post
How did you check the the diaphragm on the PCV system... that cap is molded onto the valve cover, and their is not video that you were talking about
Sorry forgot to upload the video, I added it to the post above.
The diaphragm isn’t molded in mine. It has plastic clips all around and I was able to remove it.

I drive the car everyday still with zero issues, however let the car idle for 1 minute and it starts misfiring then goes into limp mode.

The PCV cap is similar to this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0