2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10/F11 Combox behind passenger boot trim

03-19-2024, 01:14 AM   #1
Smudga018
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 F11 528i

F10/F11 Combox behind passenger boot trim

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help me out, since I’m new to tinkering with BMWs. I recently purchased a 2011 528i wagon for my wife and we are very happy so far. The last issue I have to sort is the Bluetooth audio, something I have done some reading into, but still a rookie nonetheless. In the iDrive menus Bluetooth audio is an option but I cannot enable it.

I have located a combox behind the passenger side trim in the boot (not in the usual spot in front of the battery under the boot tray) but I have managed to read the side of the box that does confirm it is a combox. My question is has anyone had experience with the combox in this location, is this normal for a JDM 528i wagon, and will I be able to enable Bluetooth audio streaming with bimmercode? Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 06:22 PM   #2
galileochina
Rep
Drives: 528I

I don't think you can enable Bluetooth audio by coding self. Bluetooth audio was not supported by the hardware in this car. Only Bluetooth for phone call is supported.

You may need a retrofit for that. I saw many retrofit solutions even have carplay supported.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 12:48 PM   #3
jmfecon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535i 11

It really depends on the combox you have, that will vary accordingly when your car was built.

If I am not wrong, all cars built after 09/2010 have the "correct" combox, and you should be able to code that. If it was built before that, you still could retrofit the combox with bluetooth audio streaming support.

Mine doesn't have the right combox, and didn't want to retorfit and code it. Then I found this.

It solved the problem. If you (or your wife) use an Iphone and have Apple music, works perfectly. If not, works really well.
Appreciate 0