2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 535d xdrive - missing buttons

07-06-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
2014 535d xdrive - missing buttons

I been searching the various internet-based car sites (e.g. cars.com), for a 2014 or newer 535d xdrive. In looking at the listings, photos and reading a car's description some have more options than others. For example, the majority of cars come equipped with the Driver Assistant package, but fewer have Driver Assistant Plus, etc. For cars with Driver Assistant only, there is sometimes a narrow black panel below headlight rotary knob, with a single button. Correspondingly, below the shift selector and to the left, there are often two buttons. With Driver Assistant Plus, buttons, below headlight switch, increase to three or four as does those near the shift selector.
On a few 2014's, however, there are no buttons or black panel below the headlight switch and only one near the shift selector. Is the panel below the head light switch missing on older models or directly related to a car having Driver Assistant option or not?
While I been searching only for the 535d, I imagine this button thing is also on the gas versions. I realize this is rather esoteric, but this forum seems the best place to ask these things.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

If the car has at least one of the below options then the black bar with button will be present (not sure how the packages work in the US)
Head up display
Lane departure warning
Blind spot warning
Night vision
Active cruise control

Below the shift selector there can be maximum 3 buttons:
Park distance control
Hill descent control (x-drive models only)
Side view camera

So depending on the car options these will vary.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
If car has none of the options, the panel will be entirely missing.

Most of those options are useless and should not be deal breakers when you are shopping around, please keep that in mind

Out of all of those features, I use the side cameras the most as I live in the city and side cameras are must when I am pulling out of alleys, driveways etc, especially when giant trucks are blocking the view.

-Blind Spot Detection - You can't see the warning triangle during the day and only works over 25mph (Can be coded)
-Lane Departure Warning is a complete joke / useless.
-HUD is the 1st thing wife knows how to turn off right away as she hates it
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
I really miss the HUD when I drive my wife's car.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
I been searching the various internet-based car sites (e.g. cars.com), for a 2014 or newer 535d xdrive. In looking at the listings, photos and reading a car's description some have more options than others. For example, the majority of cars come equipped with the Driver Assistant package, but fewer have Driver Assistant Plus, etc. For cars with Driver Assistant only, there is sometimes a narrow black panel below headlight rotary knob, with a single button. Correspondingly, below the shift selector and to the left, there are often two buttons. With Driver Assistant Plus, buttons, below headlight switch, increase to three or four as does those near the shift selector.
On a few 2014's, however, there are no buttons or black panel below the headlight switch and only one near the shift selector. Is the panel below the head light switch missing on older models or directly related to a car having Driver Assistant option or not?
While I been searching only for the 535d, I imagine this button thing is also on the gas versions. I realize this is rather esoteric, but this forum seems the best place to ask these things.
Check bmwvin.com for the options/package list
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
If car has none of the options, the panel will be entirely missing.

Most of those options are useless and should not be deal breakers when you are shopping around, please keep that in mind

Out of all of those features, I use the side cameras the most as I live in the city and side cameras are must when I am pulling out of alleys, driveways etc, especially when giant trucks are blocking the view.

-Blind Spot Detection - You can't see the warning triangle during the day and only works over 25mph (Can be coded)
-Lane Departure Warning is a complete joke / useless.
Wow, I love the HUD! I will never buy a new car w/o HUD in the future. It's especially nice for NAV. You are right about blind spot detection warning triangle. I never ever saw it until just this week after tinting my windows. For whatever reason, I've never noticed it at night but I have to say, I like blind spot detection. Even w/o the visual cues, the steering wheel vibration will get your attention.
Appreciate 0