2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Auto Lights or Manual?

01-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Auto Lights or Manual?

While I've driven cars for as long as I can remember with automatic lights, I tend to always control them manually - maybe I'm a control freak?? I've found in the past that the sensor doesn't always kick the lights on (or off) when I think it's appropriate... so I've historically just used the manual controls.

What I've noticed about the 5, however, is that even switching the lights into the manual "on" position doesn't change the dashboard from "day" to "night" modes - e.g. the dash is normally white/blue but turns orange/red at night.

So, pet peeve here - but when it's dusk and the system can't quite determine if it's light or not, I've experienced it jump back and forth between the dash in day mode and night mode. While most people would probably not give a darn, this is annoying to me. I can see why they've done it, I guess - since turning the lights on doesn't necessarily mean it's dark - it could just be raining - and with the new LCD dash display, the orange/red colors may be difficult to read in brighter cabin light. I noticed this switch back and forth much more the other day while driving through rain/foggy areas during the day, and on today's dusk drive (clear weather), it didn't switch back and forth after going "orange" when the sun went down.

What are you guys experiencing out there, and am I the only one who finds the lack of control over this a bit annoying?

And while we're discussing cabin lighting, I'd also be curious how many of you are using "Classic" versus "Modern" for your ambient lighting! Right now I'm on "Classic" - have yet to see "Modern" at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Always "auto" for me so I can take full advantage of all of the adaptive light features. The color change doesn't bother me at all but I can read them in white better.

Classic mode since modern looks kind of bland although the red looks better with a light interior.
      01-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Auto for me all the time, I have the multi function display, and the colour change does not bother me at all.

Ambient lighting, I have oyster leather, and have used both, like them both and change every now and again, same as the dash to keep it fresh!
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Docsbimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 550i M Sport

Modern vs classic

What exactly is the difference. I dont notice any change between the two and think perhaps there is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsbimmer View Post
What exactly is the difference. I dont notice any change between the two and think perhaps there is an issue.
Ambient lighting do you mean? Modern is white, classic is red, you will see the difference if it is changing
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0