2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550i AC Compressor

01-26-2022, 08:56 PM   #1
Chirho1987
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

550i AC Compressor

Over the last few months, I have had a slight fluctuation while idling. The flucuation would only happen if the AC was on. When I would turn the air off, the idle would normalize.

After going down the list of possible issues and checking them off, I decided that it must just be the AC compressor causing the idle. Car and everything ran great other than the idle.

Today while driving to work, the car started blowing warmer air. When I got to work, I let the car idle and noticed that the fluctuation was also no longer there. I havent gotten a chance to pop the hood and double check the compressor to see if its spinning or seized but I am pretty sure the compressor was my issue this whole time and it finally gave out.

My question is if anyone else knows of a good business to order a new compressor from that is reasonably priced. I am short on money at the time so $900+ is out of my reach at the moment. I also noticed some on sale on eBay but I am afraid to order them.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:42 AM   #2
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Usually I'd say FCP Euro, but this time Rockauto wins. They have the Denso compressor at a crazy good price. Denso is the original manufacturer of the AC compressor in our car and will be identical in every way to what you'd get from the dealer - at a fraction of the cost.

Make sure to cross check the part numbers before ordering.

https://bit.ly/3ucNXoC
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2022, 04:39 PM   #3
Chirho1987
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

Update. I got the ac checked by the only local dealer where I live. They confirmed that it was a faulty compressor. They didn't tell me exactly what they did to confirm this other than they were not getting an electrical signal to the compressor.

They then attempted to, in my opinion, rip me off and attempt to charge me $3300 to replace the entire AC system. I told them no and that I'd look around or do it myself.

Yesterday I got under the car and was able to rotate the compressor clutch by hand so my assumption is its not seized. I attempted to check the fuses but was unable to pull any fuses out due to it getting dark outside and I was having difficulty securing the fuse with the fuse puller. Plus there is 6 or so fuses that deal with the AC and I don't know which fuse to pull to check if its blown for the compressor.

Does anyone have any advice on where I should go from here? Im planning on pulling fuses still and I am going to get a multi meter to check the where the wires connect to the compressor.
Appreciate 0