2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Software Modification Not Listed on Repair Order / Invoice!?

05-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Software Modification Not Listed on Repair Order / Invoice!?

Brought my car in for battery replacement and when picking it up, noticed one or two settings were changed; nothing major (i.e.: whether or not suspension setting changes are shown on the center screen). After driving around for a little, I got home just when it was getting dark, but felt / thought something was different about the instrument cluster.

After spending more time in the car today, it was getting to me that something seemed ‘off’. I Googled pictures of our instrument clusters and came up with the below; I could swear my car had the instrument cluster lines / graphics of the cluster with 25 miles shown.

So, something was changed without reference to same on my repair order / invoice. Anyone have any insight into this? Can anyone identify what type of software may have been modified and which components may be affected?

Reminds me of the N54 HPFP failure cover-up, where BMWNA and its authorized dealers actively / covertly modified vehicle software, where they detuned engines to mask symptoms; after which it took nothing short of a class action lawsuit to elicit a response...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

That's odd , I wonder if you've had your software upgraded? If you have esys I believe you can check your integration level which would tell.
I know the colour of those lines can be coided grey or orange but not aware they can be removed completely.
Worth asking the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the visuals are minimal, but there must be more than meets the eye; I wonder how the car functions differently (why the update)...?

There's more to the story in that I always ask my Service Advisor if there are any software updates. He always says no. Then recently I asked him why the Key Data Report shows there's a new "Software Integration Level" available, to which he said he's never heard of same, doesn't know what it is and would have to get back to me. When I picked up my car this past week, I asked him what he was able to find, to which he said there are no updates for my car (contrary to what the report states) and that if there were he'd do them, as BMW pays for them. I don't get what's with all the deception and lies!

And, no, this is not a case of a lower rung advisor, but one who's been in the business forever and is an Assistant Manager...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Why does this matter so much to you? There is little chance they are lying to you, they likely don't now, IMHE dealers are a bit rubbish at knowing everything. If they've updated the software its probably because there have been improvements. When I take my car in for service, they update it to the latest software, I'd expect that, I'd want that, and unless when I put the car in Drive it goes backwards, I'm simply not worried about it.

Microsoft update Windows all the time, do you check each time the update is applied to see what tiny little things have changed? Of course you don't.

I'm not trying to belittle you here, but pointing out that this seems like worry over nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Why does this matter so much to you? There is little chance they are lying to you, they likely don't now, IMHE dealers are a bit rubbish at knowing everything. If they've updated the software its probably because there have been improvements. When I take my car in for service, they update it to the latest software, I'd expect that, I'd want that, and unless when I put the car in Drive it goes backwards, I'm simply not worried about it.

Microsoft update Windows all the time, do you check each time the update is applied to see what tiny little things have changed? Of course you don't.

I'm not trying to belittle you here, but pointing out that this seems like worry over nothing.
Funny enough, I do check to see what updates are applied in Microsoft Update; guess I'm just THAT OCD (dislike bogging my computer down with unnecessary excess).

BUT, w/r/t this issue, I've had pulling to the right concerns and in as much as there have been Electronic Power Steering and other software fixes / patches for same, I'm wondering what the dealer has been leaving out on my written records.

Otherwise, sadly, going 'backwards' is exactly what BMW did with the N54 HPFP fiasco mentioned; so I wouldn't put anything past them...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Tdubyu
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Garage List
2012 535I  [0.00]
2012 BMW/535i  [0.00]
Oh Yes they lie to you. The same thing happened to me after they replace the overhead lighting assy upfront. They told me no updates was done and when I tell them that all my feature coding was deactivated they then admitted they did a S/W update. this was verified when I was getting my car re-coded. My coder said to me without knowledge of the update "your car has been updated" therefore I need to get the latest software to redo your car. Yes, they lie to you. Why I don't know.
Appreciate 0