2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Bird droppings left marks on my hood

04-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Khurram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Panamera 4

Bird droppings left marks on my hood

I had some rather large sized bird dropping splatters on my hood. As soon as I saw them I went for a hand wash but the droppings have left foggy areas on my hood where they were. The bird crap itself is completely gone but I can see exactly where it was due to these foggy areas.

Will a wax job take care of it?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

It should when they prep the paint by cleaning it prior to waxxing.

My Swissvax rep told me the best thing I could do would be to get a spray bottle of water and leave it in the trunk, if a bird ever drops a brick on my car, hit it with the water asap.
      04-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Go to any autoparts store and get a bottle of Meguiars Scratch X and a foam applicator pad. You're gonna have to get fairly aggressive with your application.
Scratch X to remove bird droppings
      05-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Khurram
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for tip. I'll try it out today.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
KRUZNM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

good luck with that! same thing happened to my brothers car
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
JohnRI
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive

I had a much smaller bird bomb hit. Used the water on cloth method (held against until it became nonbrittle) to get it off. Still had a a mark that would not come off with quick detailer. Used Meguiars clay bar with Quick Detailer and it came off after a couple of applications. Might want to try this first to see if works as it is not that harsh.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Khurram
Lieutenant
Rep

I

I ended up using scratch x 2.0 by hand with a microfiber. I applied three applications and put some elbow grease into it. By the third application it was 95% gone.
I then went over with the McGuire quick spray wax and that brought it back to new! Very impressed with these two products. This should hold me over until a full detail.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
gurns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Dravit Grey

Bird dropping stain removal

I somewhat agree with most of the advice posted below. However, having experimented with several techniques to remove bird dropping residue I have found the best way to remove the residue is to use a MILD polishing abrasive (i.e. SONUS SXF-2) along with a orbital buffer and a closed cell foam cutting pad. The aforementioned products can be purchased on line at autopia.com.

Just two days ago I did above procedure for the same exact reason. If you do it by hand you risk putting noticable scratches in the clear coat which means you will have at least another secondary operation to remove those. I have had great success with the above mentioned technique. I would rate the results as 100% effective.

I am not a employee nor represent autopia in any way. I have been using their products for well over 8 years. Further, their availability for advice and recommendations have kept me as a faithful customer.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
donbacardipr
Don Bacardi
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khurram View Post
I had some rather large sized bird dropping splatters on my hood. As soon as I saw them I went for a hand wash but the droppings have left foggy areas on my hood where they were. The bird crap itself is completely gone but I can see exactly where it was due to these foggy areas.

Will a wax job take care of it?
Bird Crap..... whew..... I've owned some cars in my lifetime which have suffered because of these bird droppings. Best solution: as soon as you see a bird poop on your car surface, remove it as soon as possible. Do not let it dry for a few days. Those bird droppings must have some chemcials (especially birds in Germany) because it does eat up the paint. If you plan to leave your car parked outside for a long period while perhaps on vacation, look for a garage or invest in a car cover.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

I get bird droppings on the car at work all the time because I have to park in an open lot in the city. The blue berry droppings are the worst, especially on dark colors. Regular waxing and a mild scratch remover helps in removing most of the "fog". I find the rest however, usually disappears over time and with several washings.
Appreciate 0