2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Just broke her in (summary of good & bad)

09-21-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
yogi799
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Just broke her in (summary of good & bad)

Just broke her in....

OK, this was long-coming but I've been busy with "life" plus I wanted to be more precise in my statements by giving it more time...

Today, I've clicked the 2000th kilometer so she's broken in and here it is:

THE GOOD

1. Power kicks a... Especially when I'm the only passenger (driver) in the car and no extra weight. The 3.0 turbo powerplant tosses this thing around like a toy, without any effort whatsoever. Very much adequate power (not to call it "overpowered" like I did a few posts ago and got somewhat flamed for LOL). To illustrate my point: If I was banned from ever crossing 4k RPM mark on the tachometer... I would accept it! That's how strong it is! In all seriousness.

2. Drives like a dream as far as suspension and comfort (I don't have any active susp or dampers or whatever they call it, juse base version). I frequently go 150-160km/h on a freeway (90-100mph) and this thing feels solid as a rock, perfectly smooth motion, to the point of being boring! Can't really feel the speed, say below 200km/h...

3. Exterior and interior styling - absolutely gorgeous. No other car on earth has been so pretty inside and out as of yet (that's why I got it LOL). I can't decide which one I like better, interior or exterior. Both are true winners.

4. Hard-drive in my idrive for copying music.

5. Beautiful instrument cluser (I have the extended version that goes black when off) (ok, that's back to #3).

6. Comfort access rocks, especially with touch to unlock.

7. Awesome angel eyes (ok, that's back to #3 as well)

8. Split screen on the iDrive.

9. 8 speed auto tranny - cannot say enough good things about it! In regular mode (which I mostly drive in), it is amazingly responsive and smooth. Slight press on the accelerator (while in motion) and either of the two things happen: nice boost from the giant torque OR lightning fast downshift for quick rocket turbo-powered takeoff. Just a dream to drive and no, as someone said: 8 speeds are not too many! Just perfect.

10. iPhone phone function integration

11. Awesome oyster/black interior combo! Royal bright interior with perfectly weather/dirt-resistant bottom half - brilliant!!!

THE BAD or just some slight annoyances

1. 0.5-1 s delay when zooming off from stoplights. Press it, nothing happens**. About less than a second later the car jumps to 2k rpm and takes off. Not as abruptly as some 528i owners have reported and VERY much manageable with a slight tolerance and adjustment of the driving habits, but still - should not be there (I had to instruct my wife to be more patient, which felt really stupid...). No other hesitation at all at any speed! I do not find this (at least in my case) to be a safety issue. I can easily manage to drive aggressively in traffic when needed. (** -- in fact I have tested that, press half the way, then quickly release the gas pedal - the car won't move at all LOL!!!!)

2. Electric steering is fabulous in the slow-speed maneuvers but otherwise SUCKS! Hydraulic with more power assist would be a winner (my E46 had a very hard steering, too tough for the city or maneuvers). You have to constantly correct your direction, something one may get used to and stop noticing, but still. It's sooo sensitive.

3. Possibly very much related to #2 - slight pull to the right. I have decided to never bring my car in for that to the dealership. A thought of them service jerks (sorry, I typically have no trust in any car mechanics other than yours truly... LOL, I think these guys have great manuals and great tools, but not so much in the brain department!) disassembling my newly put together struts and other suspensions parts by the factory just makes me tremble. Anyhow, I am observing a vast range of pulls daily - from stronger right ones to none and to slight left ones in some occasions - so my final verdict is - the pull is caused by road crowning/slant AND new sensitive-type steering which makes the issue more apparent. The harder hydraulic steering would basically handle the road-slanting w/o the driver's action. So in summary, mine is so minor and varies per road or lane, that I call it a non-issue. Drives great overall. (I am still listing it here as it DOES exists). Maybe I am cutting BMW too much slack here, but in all honestly, the service dudes are NOT touching my car for the next 10 years!

4. Seatbelt chime will drive me nuts one day. I get the safety stuff. STILL - be less annoying!!! Don't chime 40 times before shutting off, chime 5 times for Lord's sake!

5. Stupid nav disclaimer showing up each time! Gotta ignore it, but why show it every time??

6. Some controls blocked by the wheel, such as automatic wipers light and the odometer. Needed to bend forward constantly to see if I've broken her in yet. Of course, I have my wheel positioned just the way I like it, but should it be blocking the view so badly?

7. Nav is OK, but I wish Google has taken over all these silly systems! Google maps are plain best-looking on the planet and directions are too #1! Go GOOOOOOGLE, Go!

8. Can't check email on the iDrive screen, just phone contacts. Shame... if blackberry's can!

9. Weak rear AC blower motor? In auto AC mode, can barely feel AC blowing? My kids have noticed that, I confirmed. The vents are open.

10. Comfort access - can't slum the door and lock it quickly. It requires at least 3 seconds before I can lock it. So, I slam the door, count 1-2-3, and then lock it. Why such delay required?

11. The doors are too light, need to slam shut, can't just "let them go" like I soooo expected (on a new car!). In Canada, we have no option for auto-close
using suction (or whatever that is), like that found on the 7.

10. Can't turn on the front distance sensors w/o ****ing the car in Reverse first? So, if I return from work and want to park in my tight garage, right before I do, I need to engage Reverse first to get the front sensors to aid me...

11. Nav directions too quiet at hwy speeds (perfect on quiet roads or in the city). Have not found a setting to turn the volume up yet.

12. Ignition staying on when engine is shut off. This bothers me a lot, I wish there was a setting for "Auto-Ignition off when engine shut off" option, without requiring the 8-minute interval or locking of the doors or a second press of the button.

13. The turbo engine getting me bankrupt after 10-15 years??? I don't drive very much, thankfully, but I hope these engines are made to last. My prev. E46
328i had a near-perfect engine with almost no defects of ANY kind after 12 years and 120k miles (total parts replaced: < $300: Crankcase vent. valve + ignition coils, that's it!!!). Will this one be the same?

THE BAD ones list is really nothing compared to THE GOOD. The car is a dream to drive overall and the power is astonishing. I can hardly imagine a perfect

car, so I am happy. I once worked with a guy whose 2004 Camry saved his life in a rollover. Car was totaled, he walked out. Got a new model and hated it to death. Sooo many things pissed him off daily compared to the old model. So, go figure....

Kill time at the pump!
http://logmympg.com

Last edited by yogi799; 09-21-2011 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Spellings!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
11. Nav directions too quiet at hwy speeds (perfect on quiet roads or in the city). Have not found a setting to turn the volume up yet.

Just crank up the volume (radio controls or steering wheel buttons) at the exact moment the nav gives directions.

Great write up btw!
      09-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Mr. Grumpy
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post

10. Can't turn on the front distance sensors w/o shiting the car in Reverse first? So, if I return from work and want to park in my tight garage, right before I do, I need to engage Reverse first to get the front sensors to aid me...

You can activate the camera and the sensors by pressing the camera button next to the shifter and it can be activated with the vehicle on drive.

Just press the volume up button on your steering wheel as soon as you hear the navigation girl talk.
      09-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 E46/330 and 2011 F10/535i

I echo your concerns on telling dealer about the pull right. Mine starts to change lanes (to the right) after 5 or 6 seconds of freeway driving with my hands off. I debated getting it addressed, but the images of people messing with it bothered me more than the steering problem (if any). I never drive "hands free", and the pull is so subtle I doubt it creates problems on the tires.
      09-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Ha!! Our 2010 X5 doesn't pull at all. Tracks perfectly straight :-) However, my 328i does pull/drift. Always have to keep my hands on the steering wheel. kinda annoying to tell ya the truth.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Steamer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550I, 2000 M Rdstr

Some of your bads are easily correctable, you will most likely need to hhave it back to the shop to get reprogrammed, this will at times fix the pull to the right problem, turn up the radio volume when the gps starts talking, this will increase volume.

There, 2 problems fixed..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
BrianUNC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 911, 2025 Z4 6MT ordered

For #12, hold the on/off button a little longer. It will cut off both if you hold it in for one or two seconds.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
yogi799
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianUNC View Post
For #12, hold the on/off button a little longer. It will cut off both if you hold it in for one or two seconds.
Oh, that's interesting, I will try that. thanks

Kill time at the pump!
http://logmympg.com
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianUNC View Post
Thats good to know, I will try holding the button but for know I was just pressing it a second time and shut everything down,I dont mind the power staying on when I shut the engine off I actually like it,I have this on my Denali but as soon as I open the driver door it powers down I think this is much better,Im not to crazy about how its setup on the F10,I have to hit the lock button to power it down or hit the start button twice,no biggi though ,the car is still awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #10
karmakal
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G30 530D (iX50 on order)

My car was also slightly pulling to the right on the highway (pretty much like Mr Magic, after 5 sec. or so).

Then one day, due to works on the highway, trafic is deviated to one of the opposite lanes of the highway for a few kms. So I lift my hands from the wheel and guess what ? The car is now pulling slightly to the left.

I guess the slope of the road is the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
OrangeDeep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

What causes that .5 - 1 sec throttle delay when accelerating from a stop?
Appreciate 0