2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Is that too much?

02-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10

Is that too much?

I have been looking at some used F10s for a few weeks and had 3 must have options on my list:

Sports seats
Pro Nav
Adaptive dampers

After looking at a few on AutoTrader, eBay, found one I like and put a deposit on so the dealer is preping it now. Hoping to collect 'soon'. It's not a BMW franchised dealer but a regional group who took this in a part-ex.

It will be a long trek for me (3hrs + each way) and I am normally ok to travel that far if it is something that ticks the boxes. Do you think that's insane and would you travel if it were the right car?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5557223 View Post
...It will be a long trek for me (3hrs + each way) and I am normally ok to travel that far if it is something that ticks the boxes. Do you think that's insane and would you travel if it were the right car?
I bought my 535i, over the phone, was over 300 miles from home. My son and brother in law have bought from Park Lane BMW, over 500 miles away. Both bought over the phone and had home delivery. At least I saw mine before driving it home.

BTW, my 535i is the first used car I've ever bought without a test drive. With the dealer's assurance it drove without issue and only 6k miles, was like new anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5557223 View Post
I have been looking at some used F10s for a few weeks and had 3 must have options on my list:

Sports seats
Pro Nav
Adaptive dampers

After looking at a few on AutoTrader, eBay, found one I like and put a deposit on so the dealer is preping it now. Hoping to collect 'soon'. It's not a BMW franchised dealer but a regional group who took this in a part-ex.

It will be a long trek for me (3hrs + each way) and I am normally ok to travel that far if it is something that ticks the boxes. Do you think that's insane and would you travel if it were the right car?
Depends on the dealer, were is the car and any links to spec/condition.
Have you looked on Pistonheads?.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...s=YearNewToOld
      02-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

It also depends whether it's a refundable deposit? My daughter phoned up about a car last week and we were prepared to go to see it the following morning, but the dealer wanted a none refundable deposit of £200 to hold it for less than 24 hrs, no chance.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I bought my 535i, over the phone, was over 300 miles from home. My son and brother in law have bought from Park Lane BMW, over 500 miles away. Both bought over the phone and had home delivery. At least I saw mine before driving it home.

BTW, my 535i is the first used car I've ever bought without a test drive. With the dealer's assurance it drove without issue and only 6k miles, was like new anyway.
Interesting... I also went by dealer's assurance but only after checking they had 4.7 stars on Google reviews with over 50 reviews. I know Park Lane have an excellent repute on this forum and someone I know bought a car from them and were really happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Depends on the dealer, were is the car and any links to spec/condition.
Have you looked on Pistonheads?.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...s=YearNewToOld
I didn't know pistonheads had classifieds. Will sure to keep that in mind but most cars I saw on PH were also on AT & fleebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
It also depends whether it's a refundable deposit? My daughter phoned up about a car last week and we were prepared to go to see it the following morning, but the dealer wanted a none refundable deposit of £200 to hold it for less than 24 hrs, no chance.
I was sceptical to put a deposit but made sure to email the dealer and say that the purchase was subject to satisfactory viewing of the car. It was on a credit card so had some protection if needed.. brings me to the important point:

I went last week to the dealership and the car was exactly as described with an MOT that was around 13 months long. All the paperwork was in order and I was very much happy with the overall buying experience. Haven't had much chance to drive the car due to being away on work trips etc but I'll put some photos up soon.
Appreciate 0