2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 VS G30 Exterior (Personal Opinion)

06-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #45
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Fair enough, that's your opinion, not how I saw it, I felt they were quite comparable in fit and finish and interior materials used. And I may very well be wrong.
Again, I'm only talking about interior being more luxurious, the only thing I was arguing here.

I just feel the need to address one more thing since this is a massive issue for me.

Sensatech, or whatever "sensa-cool/tech" name BMW gives it, and I cannot stress this enough time, is not luxury material, never was, never will be. It is not an upgrade over *anything* "luxury wise". There is one, and only one reason for it's existence, price, it enables manufacturers to spend less.

I might just be "old school" but I have no expensive shoes, belts, jackets, and furniture where I insisted "sensatech" to be used while I pay premium price, I believe my wife uses similar logic in her footwear and purses. Maybe we're brainwashed ?

I do hope you are correct on everything else and when the day comes for me to replace F10 if I happen to stay with BMW and 5 series, I'm proven wrong.
Sensa-whatever and whatever that stuff MB uses was once known as vinyl. It's still nothing more than recycled 2-liter soda bottles! IMHO, replace leather with pleather and the luxury moniker can be thrown out the window! Even Kia and Hyundai use leather...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 03:29 AM   #46
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Of course real leather is better than sensatec. However for me, it is a no cost upgrade over standard plastic in F10. Softer and more visually appealing. I had just been driven in a friend's ranger rover Evoque and the dashboard was sensatec. Saying sensatec was of too low quality for a car that the base version cost less than £40,000.00 is probably expecting too much
Each to their own

Last edited by babaikram; 06-25-2017 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #47
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

For me, I came to the BMW brand 18 years ago or so for how the cars drive, despite being large enough to hold a whole family.

I see was more discussion here about what type of plastic the dash is made from and how nice the knobs feel but not nearly enough about driving experience. I've only seen one post concerning driving dynamics.

And we (or at least some of us) wonder why BMW is "selling out" on the dynamics of driving...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #48
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
For me, I came to the BMW brand 18 years ago or so for how the cars drive, despite being large enough to hold a whole family.

I see was more discussion here about what type of plastic the dash is made from and how nice the knobs feel but not nearly enough about driving experience. I've only seen one post concerning driving dynamics.

And we (or at least some of us) wonder why BMW is "selling out" on the dynamics of driving...
That's because 5 series need to have it all. Good fit and finish, luxury and driving dynamics (for it's class) to remain competitive. Driving dynamics only in this class won't sell the car.

I agree with you that driving dynamics are very important though. It has however been debated in many other threads. This thread started about discussion on exterior design, and I have derailed it slightly with talk about G30 interior in comparison to F10.

It's well known that BMW has been diluting their lineup, and be car "for everyone" focusing on comfort, tech and with 5 and 7 series, more on luxury than driving dynamics. They have sales numbers to back them up, and don't seem to care that they built their reputation mostly on driving dynamics. For those that have driving dynamics as their primary criteria (I'm one of them), they better learn about different configurations and try to find the perfect setup (suspension, drivetrain and various options, like DHP, active steering...etc).

Plenty of BMWs still handle great, it's just not easy to get it right these days.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #49
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
G30 is a better car overall. It's hard to argue about that. F10 still looks amazing, especially with LED headlights. E60 looked worse when F10 got introduced. So those of you who are keeping F10 shall be confident that it's still a great looking car
Bbb34730.50
      06-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #50
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Agreed. The F10 does not look as outdated now as the E60 did when the F10 came out. If you're asking which is better, the G30 is. If you're asking if it's worth upgrading from an F10 (if you own and don't lease), that's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #51
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
G30 is a better car overall. It's hard to argue about that. F10 still looks amazing, especially with LED headlights. E60 looked worse when F10 got introduced. So those of you who are keeping F10 shall be confident that it's still a great looking car
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Agreed. The F10 does not look as outdated now as the E60 did when the F10 came out. If you're asking which is better, the G30 is. If you're asking if it's worth upgrading from an F10 (if you own and don't lease), that's a different story.
I agree with the above consensus. When the F10 came out almost everyone on the road who had the E60 switched to the F10. I personally think the E39 looks better than the E60 as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #52
TopQuark
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i

Nothing to worry about the next series model. The lead designer of G30, Karim Habib, is now gone:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...am?language=en

Jacek Fröhlich, the designer of F10 appears like he still works there.

It would have been nice if the new G30 was designed very similar to the early sketches of F10 by Fröhlich below but taller and with less aggressive lines:

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #53
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

In 3 years, majority of these members downplaying the G30, will be in one or looking at one once their F10 bites the dust.

I personally hate the rear of the car, but I'm not going to say the car is hideous. Because that would be far from the truth. I thought the E60 M5 was a very ugly car, before I went to look at one and was drawn in by other things (mainly the V10). The G30 is a nice car, and I'll wait until the price comes down before I even look at one. I never buy a car brand new.
Appreciate 1
S1ammin44.00