2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Chassis: Stop Carefully after heavy acceleration

09-15-2023, 09:47 AM   #1
mcdanielvzw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
Chassis: Stop Carefully after heavy acceleration

Good morning All,
Chasing the somewhat elusive "Chassis: Stop carefully and turn off engine" iDrive message that pops up on my 2016 F10 550i. My car has ~55k miles on it, and it only happens during heavy acceleration (usually a dead stop). It doesn't affect driving (other than changing mode from Sport to Comfort and not allowing a change) and resets after turning the car off and back on.

The codes I pulled are CC-ID 0011 and 0491 which didn't come up with a quick Googling.

My hydraulic reservoir is a little low right now, and I have CHF 11S fluid coming in today to top it off. I'm hoping that fixes the issue. I'm not sure how long it's been lower, I actually don't drive the car more than once a week (about an hour highway then) usually since I work from home. I can replicate it pretty easily though.

Short background:
  • I installed ARM downpipes with O2 spacers, and stock intake. Test drove it safely but spiritedly, didn't see any issue (other than a noticeably faster and harder pull all around). The stock intake didn't fit well with the spacers, overly bending the O2 wires.
  • Drove the car for a tank, no issues I recall. Installed ARM CAI with grill filters - secured, double, triple checked all connections for tightness. Sometimes on heavy pulls, the chassis code comes up, but not always. Never notice any sputter or engine issues when it happens.

I've also read it could be one of the following, but I don't really want to do a parts cannon on $800+ worth of parts. Plugs and battery sure, Coils maybe, hoping to not do 2 HPFPs at $153 a pop minimum.
  • Spark Plugs
  • Coil Packs
  • HPFP(s)
  • Low/Old battery

There doesn't seem to be much definitive info regarding this or similar error, so hopefully this post will lead somewhere slowly but surely if anyone else needs help. Welcome to any other suggestions I may have missed.
About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 09:27 AM   #2
mcdanielvzw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
Adding Pentosin CHF 11s fluid seems to have taken care of the issue so far, I think the increased acceleration force was creating a pumping issue in the DSC system due to low fluid. It's been difficult to test, needing the system at temp but a dead stop and heavy acceleration to highway speed.

Bleeding hydraulic circuit:

1. Thoroughly clean oil reservoir and its immediate surrounding area with lid closed
2. Top up hydraulic fluid or set fluid level correctly.

Note: The fill level is dependent on the oil temperature. Check fill level at an oil temperature between 20 ° and 80 °C.
With engine at normal operating temperature, do not exceed ”MAX" marking of 80 °C (1).
Do not drop below ”Min. marking 20 °C” (2).

Hydraulic fluid: Pentosin CHF 11S 83 29 0 429 576 1-litre can green
(Vehicles with AFS or with ARS)

3. Start engine, run briefly and then switch off.
4. Check and correct fill level with engine stopped
About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.
Appreciate 0