2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Seeking Help : Persistent Oil Leak Issue on 2010 BMW F10 528i with N53 Engine

10-27-2023, 07:08 PM   #1
newbornuser
Rep
Drives: F20 F10

Seeking Help : Persistent Oil Leak Issue on 2010 BMW F10 528i with N53 Engine

Hello everyone,
I’m reaching out to the community today as I am facing a mechanical issue with my 2010 BMW F10 528i, equipped with an N53 engine, and I really don’t know what to do next.
I decided to share my experience here, hoping to find assistance or advice on how to resolve this persistent problem.

It all started when I decided to remove the cylinder head from my car.
I then procured a second-hand cylinder head, had it resurfaced, and mounted it back onto my engine block with a new head gasket.
The car started up fine and seemed to behave normally.

However, after a few starts over several days, I noticed that oil began to seep through the head gasket, specifically on the air intake side.
The leak worsened over time, and oil eventually began to drip from multiple sides of the engine.
Upon closer inspection, I discovered one of the upper engine bolts was not as tight as the others, leading me to believe that this might have been the issue.

Realizing my rookie mistake, I purchased another head gasket, disassembled the cylinder head once again to inspect everything. The cylinder head appeared to be in good condition, but I noticed that the engine block had small areas where the coating had come off. (I will attempt to attach photos and videos to illustrate this).
After reassembling everything with the new gasket and meticulously following the procedure, the car started up again. Unfortunately, after a few starts, the oil began to leak again, this time slightly from the front of the engine.

I am now completely stuck and don’t know what to do next. I have tried reaching out to garages, but I have yet to find a professional willing to take on my problem.

Here are my questions:
Is my engine irreparably damaged?
Would resurfacing the cylinder head be enough to solve this issue?
Are there specific tests I can perform to ascertain the condition of my engine and identify the cause of these leaks?

I know that I probably should not have taken on such a task without prior experience, and I am paying the price for my boldness.
Nevertheless, I have learned a lot through this ordeal.
I am turning to you in the hope of finding answers and a solution to my problem.
Any help, advice, or shared experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and for helping me through this challenging time.
Appreciate 1