2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Missing Secondary cat on my 550!

03-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
TommyGao
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw550i M sport

Missing Secondary cat on my 550!

Hey guys,I live in Socal and I brought a used 550i 6 month ago from a local non-bmw dealer. Today, I decided to put a new set of catback exhaust in my car. However, I found the car's secondary cat(under driver's seat) is missing and the muffler shop owner tell me that I cannot pass the smog test If I don't have them. I am wondering if someone have the secondary cat could sell them to me and I will be much appreciated. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #2
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGao View Post
Hey guys,I live in Socal and I brought a used 550i 6 month ago from a local non-bmw dealer. Today, I decided to put a new set of catback exhaust in my car. However, I found the car's secondary cat(under driver's seat) is missing and the muffler shop owner tell me that I cannot pass the smog test If I don't have them. I am wondering if someone have the secondary cat could sell them to me and I will be much appreciated. Thank you!
There's no secondary cat on our cars. The only cats are in the down pipes. The thing he is referring to, would be the twin resonators on our vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #3
TommyGao
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw550i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVSRFR View Post
There's no secondary cat on our cars. The only cats are in the down pipes. The thing he is referring to, would be the twin resonators on our vehicles.
oh,ok then I think I would be fine with the smog test right? IF they ask about it just tell him that is used to be two resonators right? This is my first car, and I never done the smog test before in California...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGao View Post
im pretty sure those are secondary cats, not resonators.

but yea, just tell the inspection guy that they are resonators and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

They're not secondary cats, you can go on realoem.com or getbmwparts.com and see the diagram. I have installed the OEM competition package exhaust and they have those resonators removed.

My stock exhaust had the twin resonators and I sold them on this forum.

OP, you'll smog just fine. All they do is look under your hood and then plug their tester to your OBD port.
Appreciate 0