2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding iDrive Seems to Stop Indexing USB Drive before Complete

01-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
bjornand1
Rep
Drives: BMW 525 xD

iDrive Seems to Stop Indexing USB Drive before Complete

Hi, don't know if anyone can shed light on how iDrive (2012 525 Navi Professional) handles indexing of a USB drive with music? I've been experimenting for a few weeks, following various advice in this forum:

- Use fast USB drive
- Put the music files in a flat structure at the root
- Check and fix all metatags
- Clean the drive for hidden files

I'm gradually getting further and further in making this a viable option to my often-freezing iPod Classic, but I'm not fully there yet.

Currently, the issue seems to be that iDrive indexes the drive to a certain extent, but not completely. Symptoms:

- Using the categories of Genres, Artists, Albums, etc. to search, only a few of the items on the 15.000 track drive show (typically 10 out of 40 genres, a few hundred out of 2,000 artists. etc.). I've been expecting this to keep increasing as the indexing progresses, but after several days of waiting, there is no change in this (with the rest of the tracks lumped together under Various genres, Various Artists, etc.)
- When playing all titles, a strange thing happens. If I turn off random, most tracks are displayed with the file name and various artists/various albums for metadata (except for those that have been indexed sufficiently to appear when searching). However, if I turn on random, ALL files display correctly with track title, artist and album.
- Under playlists (all paths are correct!), it just says no entries

Seemingly, in some ways, all tracks have been indexed, but the info doesn't seem to make it through to searching. I know I have to rename the drive to force reindexing, but is there any way to "nudge" the indexing forward without having to do this (which means days of waiting when starting from scratch again)?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
spaziren
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

Hi bjornand1,
I've experienced the same problem (2013 525 Navi Professional) apart from the fact that about 32.000 titles have been indexed.

An additional strange thing happend to me is that once renamed the drive to force reindexing and connected, the new indexing process seems to generate all the titles but this is not the case: I can read all the folders once, but if I select one of the last folders (whcih are obviously listed in aphabetical order) to play a song, the system shows "no entries".

Just to see if somebody could help...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:37 AM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

You do not need a flat file structure, but you should consider creating playlists for any groupings that you commonly use. For example, you can create playlist for genres, artists, or specific albums.
I forget if it is the same for 2012 system as my current 2016, but voice commands work for playlists where I get strange responses when using much else beyond currently playing.
I am still working on fixing my own tags so have not tried recently working with large collection volumes with regards to indexing.
Appreciate 0