2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Locked out!

09-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
smanoj77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

Locked out!

Got locked out of my car on Monday. The car wouldn't unlock with my usual remote. Tried the spare remote thinking the key fob battery was down, still would not open. Finally opened with the key (not the remote) setting off the alarm.
When I tried to switch on the ignition, the car wouldn;t start stating it could not detect the remote despite holding it close to the steering column. After multiple attempts, I managed to bring the car to life by pressing the start/stop button for a few seconds.
The remote has been working fine since then.
Has anybody experienced similar issues? Any clue on what could have caused this...I was wondering if the car battery was depleted as I hadn't used the car over the weekend. But, I haven't had any warning stating the battery was low.
Any thoughts....
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Were you parked near transmission towers? There can be interference from them that messes with the wireless features.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by smanoj77 View Post
Got locked out of my car on Monday. The car wouldn't unlock with my usual remote. Tried the spare remote thinking the key fob battery was down, still would not open. Finally opened with the key (not the remote) setting off the alarm.
When I tried to switch on the ignition, the car wouldn;t start stating it could not detect the remote despite holding it close to the steering column. After multiple attempts, I managed to bring the car to life by pressing the start/stop button for a few seconds.
The remote has been working fine since then.
Has anybody experienced similar issues? Any clue on what could have caused this...I was wondering if the car battery was depleted as I hadn't used the car over the weekend. But, I haven't had any warning stating the battery was low.
Any thoughts....
I recommend that you mention this to the dealer and I, for one, would appreciate it if you could post their response.
As a matter of interest, how did you stop the alarm?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
inny
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: F10

Garage List
2011 BMW F10  [0.00]
1995 BMW E34  [0.00]
2007 BMW E60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
As a matter of interest, how did you stop the alarm?
As I don't know (as of yet) if the F10 has a manual engine turn on key (the key fob does, what about on the steering wheel??), on the e60 you turn of the alarm in the case the key does not function by inserting it in the ignition and turning the car on. Generally it will go off if the car turns on.

Last edited by inny; 09-07-2011 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
alpinef10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi M sport

Had the same problem with mine.. happens in extreme heat or when the car is under the sun all day.. figured it was the transmitter. Went to service center, they replaced the transmitter and problem went away.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
smanoj77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

@ MBrown1003
No, can't say that my house is close to any transmission towers. Besides, haven't had these problems for nearly a year.

@ Jon D
Sure, will keep you posted as soon as I get a reply from them.
At the end, I think what turned the alarm off was when I managed to get the ignition ON by pressing on the start/stop button for about 10 sec. Once I got the engine started, the problem went away.

@ inny
F10 does not have an ignition slot. There is a marking on the steering column where you are supposed to hold the key against if there is difficulty in detecting the key. Even though I did this, the car was still not recognising the key.
But the alarm did turn OFF when I finally managed to get the engine turned ON.

@ savion19
I think you might be onto something there with the extreme heat. I remember the car was in the sun all day. And like I said, i hadn't used it for 2 days. But if it a problem with the transmission, why hasn't it given me any problems since?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
alpinef10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smanoj77 View Post
@ MBrown1003
No, can't say that my house is close to any transmission towers. Besides, haven't had these problems for nearly a year.

@ Jon D
Sure, will keep you posted as soon as I get a reply from them.
At the end, I think what turned the alarm off was when I managed to get the ignition ON by pressing on the start/stop button for about 10 sec. Once I got the engine started, the problem went away.

@ inny
F10 does not have an ignition slot. There is a marking on the steering column where you are supposed to hold the key against if there is difficulty in detecting the key. Even though I did this, the car was still not recognising the key.
But the alarm did turn OFF when I finally managed to get the engine turned ON.

@ savion19
I think you might be onto something there with the extreme heat. I remember the car was in the sun all day. And like I said, i hadn't used it for 2 days. But if it a problem with the transmission, why hasn't it given me any problems since?

the problem is intermittent and doesn't happen every time, but im sure if u replace the transmitter inside the car it should fix the problem.
Appreciate 0