2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Omg I Dont Believe It....wheel Issue Nowww!

06-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Omg I Dont Believe It....wheel Issue Nowww!

HELLLLLP I AM ABOUT TO SHOOT MYSELF IN THE EYE.

Since my new tyres have gone on, I have been experiencing vibration through the seat. At 70 and 48 mph. ( 530d Auto D 2011 )

Tyres have been replaced by Pirelli free and Michelin are now on the car. Car has been balanced 5 times. So 5 times balanced, balancing machine checked, two sets of tyres.

Pirelli head office bods came down and complained that I had two minor buckles in the wheel, which are not noticeable.

The Tyre shop said buckles are balanced out and should make any difference.

BMW said Buckles will make a difference.

----

I spoke to the BMW who said my only option is to book in with them, pay them to put 4 wheels on the car and try it to eliminate the tyre noise. If it is the tyres then 2 new ones will be....approx £1000.

They told me not to purchase Style 351 M wheels outside of the network.

----

Help... what can I do?

1 Choose another tyre bay have a 6th balance
2 Buy two wheels on eBay and check them?
3 Book in and pay the labour for the garage to rule out wheels.

Warranty runs out in 1 month.

---

BMW also said wheels buckle on the inside easily.

Any help... I have had enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

I would just buy two new wheels. A 6th balancing will just waste your money and lead to more upset.

The BMW dealership just wants you to buy wheels from them. Check ebay or the forums here.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

But why do the wheels with tiny buckles make a drive difference.

It was not doing this before the tyres went on. AND the Tyre bay guys say that buckles mean nothing and that is what balancing is for?????
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch View Post
But why do the wheels with tiny buckles make a drive difference.

It was not doing this before the tyres went on. AND the Tyre bay guys say that buckles mean nothing and that is what balancing is for?????
Even the smallest buckles can cause vibrations. They may be dynamically balanced out, but that is without load on the wheel.

I assume you have simply had the typical dynamic balance. May be worth a "road force balance", as that is the only way to know if it can be sorted, or whether the tolerances are too far out.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i View Post
I would just buy two new wheels. A 6th balancing will just waste your money and lead to more upset.

The BMW dealership just wants you to buy wheels from them. Check ebay or the forums here.
I see this as a possible warranty issue, if the wheels are not the cause. I also see BMW walking away, if the rims are sourced as second-hand items and fitted to the car. They would have to inspect and prove the replacements are in tolerance, if there are still vibrations. Gets complicated and possibly moves the issue into third party territory.

If it is just a case of fitting new rims and not involving BMW, no issue as I see it. It is then "a suck it and see" situation.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Storm - a new F10 will come with new wheels... go that route.

But if you insist on sorting this car further, I'd take it to BMW and let them try four other wheels on the car. At least you'll be able to use scientific method to eliminate the CAR from the equation if the problem goes away.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, EZMASS! But then the whole thing starts again, Creak seats, creak trim, and when I come to change the tyres back to square one. Ezmass thinks I am loaded.

Road force have done a balance today for £96!

They said that the buckles are 0.15 and not requiring repair - then they balanced the wheels. They also took a Tyre off and moved it to the optimum place on the wheel according to the machine.

They left me with a sheet which showed 85 N fail before and 70 N marginal - They said Marginal should not be an issue. But it is.

Now at 70mph the car seems ok. But at 30/40 mph the rear of the car feels like its driving over a bad surface, its not vibration now, its more a feeling of "rough" as though the brand new tyres are too hard.

Not sure why this bothers me as much as it does. at 52,000 miles it behaving like its done 120,000
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Have you had the alignment checked
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

If you do get it done make sure the shop has a Hunter tracking machine, it's what BMW and all other top manufacturers use

Had mine done yesterday after replacing a tyre with a bubble in it
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
...Now at 70mph the car seems ok. But at 30/40 mph the rear of the car feels like its driving over a bad surface, its not vibration now, its more a feeling of "rough" as though the brand new tyres are too hard.
I sense you feel the vibrations are no longer there, but still not entirely happy with the current low speed ride quality.

The obvious... you have checked/double checked the pressures?

I see you changed tyre brand, could be a bit stiffer in the sidewall. A different tyre may work better at a slightly different pressure. I'd experiment, just to see if you can sense any difference.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

They said the alignment is not an issue. It is a Hunter, Road Force Machine,

Yes I could check the pressures on Monday with them. That's an interesting thought. Not sure what they are supposed to be do you? Looks to be 33 - 36.

Its Michelin, I think the tyres that are supposed to come with the car.

It seems all they have done is make the car ride shit at slower speeds, still at least this points to the fact that balancing has an influence.

Not happy they let it out with "marginal" there is nothing "marginal" about a bmw... I was clearly distressed, Monday I am going to have to ask them to fix it or £96 back.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I sense you feel the vibrations are no longer there, but still not entirely happy with the current low speed ride quality.

The obvious... you have checked/double checked the pressures?

I see you changed tyre brand, could be a bit stiffer in the sidewall. A different tyre may work better at a slightly different pressure. I'd experiment, just to see if you can sense any difference.

HighlandPete
Yeah I would check pressure, my car went in for a service last week and was not riding right after it came back with. It felt to rough, I checked pressures after a few days, they had put in 2.4 bar front and 2.5 rear (20 inch wheels). I drive my car solo 95% of the time so only needed 2.2 all around, reduced pressure and car rides a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #13
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Do you have access to a Wheel Repair facility. I would have them check the wheels 1st before buying 2 new wheels.

I also agree with the recommendation of checking your tire pressure. It's usually at higher speeds when you feel the vibration from a slightly out of round wheel.
      06-10-2014, 05:11 AM   #14
madoon
Rep
Drives: 2014 520i

it sounds like bent rims to me, speed of vibrations also say that.
try a new set of wheels to rule the rims out,

there are many reasons for only getting the vibrations after changing tires.

-old tires may have been a little low on air pressure which does help mask vibration (try lowering air pressure, see how much the ride improves! try 28-29psi)
-rims were moved around, if the bent rim was far from the driver as was brought closer to the driver it would seem to the driver that vibrations have increased.
-old tires had a better design, tires have different designs, it is possible that the newer tires amplify the rim problem.
-you were used to the old vibration, and when new tires came on the vibration pattern changed and you started noticing it..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Love it ... shame I cannot give you rep for the post...

I have now done a RoadForce which passed green all the tyres and wheels for having "no faults" or at least balanced out. Yet the issue is still there.

Like driving over gravel, or like a wheel is about to come off. Very very mild and very very spoiling.

I am going to a repair shop tomorrow for their opinion. If they can claim to repair the 0.15 error on the wheel I will ask them to make sure that I get my money back if they dont solve it.

Then on monday I am due to go to BMW to see if they can swap out wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
EmArAsOnS
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: LCI F11 MSport Xdrive (I.Blue)

Garage List
Option 3 period
      06-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

I am back... wheel is repaired.

Its a little better, but on these Tyres Michelin Primacy XP - it is like driving on ice and gravel, every bump. In fact the ride is so rubbish, its hard to ascertain if there is a vibration or not??

Any ideas?

1. Do I have a consumer right against Michelin for unfit for purpose?

2. The repair company said that after charging for the fix, they found a tiny twist in the wheel. They said it would not make any difference, but not sure what you think. ( by the way I was like ... what? You charged me and fixed a wheel that can't be fixed?

It is now pointing more towards wheels now though as the main vibration seems to have gone, its now just a shit ride
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I am back... wheel is repaired.

Its a little better, but on these Tyres Michelin Primacy XP - it is like driving on ice and gravel, every bump. In fact the ride is so rubbish, its hard to ascertain if there is a vibration or not??

Any ideas?
What is the ride like on a decent surface? Should show up whether it is poor ride quality, (on poor surfaces) or still vibrating.

Have you checked pressures? (Decent gauge of known value, or calibrated) What pressures are you running?

Are the tyres 'star' marked, approved tyres?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #19
madoon
Rep
Drives: 2014 520i

sounds like you have a rim that is bent from the outside (spoke side) and one of the spoke is bent, i dont think that can be repaired,(or atleast i am told that at the wheels shop).

check the tyre pressure if you feel your ride is too stiff, and the car bouncy.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep solved by wheel repair company who straightened it! Closed
Appreciate 0