2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum How do you guys feel about this?

09-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550

How do you guys feel about this?

So I was on my break yesterday in between work and school and came across this: http://jalopnik.com/science-confirms...wor-1120783177

Personally I believe whoever wrote this should get punched in their mouth. Making statements such as, "We have long ragged on BMW drivers for their terrible parking skills and general assholery" or "Basically, rich people are more likely to be jerks behind the wheel."

"Assholery" Sir you clearly must be very uneducated, stupid, and extremely ignorant.

This was completely written in a personal opinion basis, the fact he even mentions research really infuriates me. It is impossible to categorize drivers good or bad by their wealth.

What are your thoughts or opinions?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arko528 View Post

My thoughts? Jalopnik isn't Road and Track, its very little more than someone posting a thread like that on a forum.. Its not "journalism"..

Move along and at it
Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arko528 View Post
Well of course articles like these are biased.
Unlike you though, I'm not upset by reading stuff like this, I find them amusing. So the owners of BMW have a bit of a reputation, big deal. My advice, just embrace it and have some fun with it.

Think of it this way. These are luxury expensive vehicles, in my view, there are 3 types of BMW owners (well often mix of all 3):

1. owner with decent disposable income (successful/confident?) .
2. driving enthusiasts after performance (so, likely spirited driver?).
3. owners who like the prestige brand carries (status symbol?).

Is it that unlikely that a person from either of the 3 groups above comes off as confident (fine line between confidence and arrogance) and projects feeling he/she is a bit "special"? This combined with higher than average vehicle price tag (and of course just old fashioned random a.... behind the wheel of BMW) for sure contributes to the reputation.

I don't mind it, whatever, in fact I always joke that I was always an a.... but just feel more at home now when I own one of these.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F10, 19 xm40i, 24 x7

Garage List
  [10.00]
south park one was funny

Jalopnik part of Gawker (worst company and now bankrupt)
Appreciate 1
RSBro58.00
      09-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

I tend to agree that a high percentage of BMW drivers are arrogant SOB's!!!!
Many Mercedes owners are older so they are not as much. SUV's? Im not sure really count as I find Large SUV's to be just as bad regarding "entitlements" but most are not driving too aggressive.

Young aggressive BMW drivers are bad. I am constantly cut off by guys that seemingly have to demonstrate that their modded car is superior. I pay no mind as a machines capacity does not define me. I suppose when your young, your wheels define you. I get it.

Your the guy that had a penis drawn on your car, right? I understand where your coming from. Your young, have a nice car and many might be angry as to why your entitled to drive a nice car that costs so much money. Your going to attract dudes that just want to kick your ass just because of your car. Be careful.

I for one try to be super considerate as I drive a black on black f10 with tinted windows. Its the posterchild of arrogance. Im 55 years old and my car is not out at night clubs or at the diner at 3am. But I expect someone will key it one day. I do try to park it away but usually some comes along and parks close. As long as they don't mark the car, I think its funny. I do try to get an end sport and hug the far line. At least I reduce door ding occurrences by 50%. Seems to work.

As for the article, its pretty accurate. But for real, Type A personalities are more successful and want nice cars. If busy, in a hurry, they will tend to roll thru stops. I am guilty of this. Every 5 years I get pulled, admit my mistake, tell the cop what I was thinking about and about half the time they let me go. If not, I pay the price. My bad.
      09-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Jalop is pretty useless as their writers are broke and have to lease with high interest rates cars that are not that expensive and then write about them. I moved on a loooong time ago. I suggest you do the same. They are the Jezebel of the auto press world, if that gives you any indication of how serious to take their opinions... I've been banned from their website, FB page and Twitter lol. They're a bunch of sensitive sissies.
      09-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
Silent_308
Knees in the Breeze
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10

Actually I found that article comical... I got a good laugh out of it. The simple fact of the matter is people are people. The model car they drive can either boost their confidence or in some cases kill their street cred, but I'd best leave those assumptions or characteristics to those whom are easily influenced by public perception.

I drive my DC2 like a Hell Hound collecting souls; when she wants boost, or the competition rolls up... I give her the gas, and them the beating they asked for and claim the drivers soul in the process.. I drive my F10 like a grown man in a well paying career, with a family, and a double car extra wide garage to park in. Arrogant, nope, do I obey the law, yup to the T (while driving the BMW), Do I feel a sense of entitlement, nope, nobody knows I own a BMW when I'm in my DC2 nor do they care... Am I a cocky SOB, F'yeah, I'm Airborne, Air Assault, a Master Blaster, got some cool scare badges to put on my uniform, with a whole lot of dressing on my salad. Anyway, the only thing a Prius driver should feel is my foot up their 4th point of contact (ASS) for driving so slow on the f'n highway... but the article... it was funny, the comments as well...

"PLF and PFL are interchangeable terms when it comes to Holland DZ" -1SG Bailey 319th AFAR
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_308 View Post
Actually I found that article comical... I got a good laugh out of it. The simple fact of the matter is people are people. The model car they drive can either boost their confidence or in some cases kill their street cred, but I'd best leave those assumptions or characteristics to those whom are easily influenced by public perception.

I drive my DC2 like a Hell Hound collecting souls; when she wants boost, or the competition rolls up... I give her the gas, and them the beating they asked for and claim the drivers soul in the process.. I drive my F10 like a grown man in a well paying career, with a family, and a double car extra wide garage to park in. Arrogant, nope, do I obey the law, yup to the T (while driving the BMW), Do I feel a sense of entitlement, nope, nobody knows I own a BMW when I'm in my DC2 nor do they care... Am I a cocky SOB, F'yeah, I'm Airborne, Air Assault, a Master Blaster, got some cool scare badges to put on my uniform, with a whole lot of dressing on my salad. Anyway, the only thing a Prius driver should feel is my foot up their 4th point of contact (ASS) for driving so slow on the f'n highway... but the article... it was funny, the comments as well...

hahaha i love it man
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #9
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
Jalop is pretty useless as their writers are broke and have to lease with high interest rates cars that are not that expensive and then write about them. I moved on a loooong time ago. I suggest you do the same. They are the Jezebel of the auto press world, if that gives you any indication of how serious to take their opinions... I've been banned from their website, FB page and Twitter lol. They're a bunch of sensitive sissies.
agreed
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Young F10er... I'll repeat my advice on wasted breath on others. You're on a great path ahead... in a F10 no less!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #11
Alcenos
Field Marshal 🔱
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition (F90)

Garage List
This article was comical. If you want a good laugh, read through the responses.
2002 E46 325i - Space Grey (retired)
1999 E46 328i - Orient Blue (retired)
Appreciate 0