2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum How to remove ashtray cover

05-17-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
Aido
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520 D Auto

How to remove ashtray cover

Hi,
I've managed to get some small coins jammed underneath the ashtray in the centre console.(2011 5 series) ..the result is that the ashtray lid now only opens to 45 degrees, so I can't remove the ashtray insert to get at the coins...
Can anyone tell me how to remove the ashtray cover - bearing in mind that it only opens to 45 degrees ?

Tx

Aido
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Can't you really pull the insert up?

That's what it looks like:

I'm afraid you'd have to disassemble the whole thing by the looks of it, unless you can somehow detach the hinges of the ashtray lid from the outside (and then re-attach it back).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
Aido
Registered
Rep

Hi Breach,
no, I can't get the insert out - the lid (Part Number 4 from your diagram) only opens to 45 degrees.

Is there any trick to remove the ashtray lid from the outside ?

Tx Anyway
Aido
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Try flipping the lid on and off it's stuck position whilst poking around inside with an angled probe in order to free the jammed object. Alternatively have a look with a small mirror and torch (flashlight); you might be able to see the offending article and move it clear of the hinge with the aforesaid probe.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Try flipping the lid on and off it's stuck position whilst poking around inside with an angled probe in order to free the jammed object. Alternatively have a look with a small mirror and torch (flashlight); you might be able to see the offending article and move it clear of the hinge with the aforesaid probe.
I did this. I used a knife from the cutlery drawer. Jiggle and open and close. Repeat until it frees.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
Aido
Registered
Rep

Ok guys - thanks for that - I'll try it this evening when I get home, that's if I ever get through all the roadblocks and security - Queen Elisabeth II is in Dublin today - Dublin is locked down tight !!

Aido
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
Scottish John
Irvine John
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F10 Alpine White M sport auto

The cover not lid slides off to give a few mms of clearance, then remove ashtray our which is a squeeze. I then gave a few hard bangs on the side of console to force the coins to move and managed to pick them out.
      05-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
raccoonraccoon
Rep
Drives: BMW F10, 520d Automatic

I had EXACTLY the same problem earlier this month and it was completely annoying. I even tried getting a strong magnet to suck out the offending coin but it didnt work.

Then my wife pulled out the ashtray with a little effort and the coin stuck on the side was easy to grab. The cover opens beautifully now and I am careful about not jamming in too many coins.
Appreciate 0