2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK problems with dealership...your thoughts please folks

11-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

problems with dealership...your thoughts please folks

Hi all

I dropped off my F10 (again - probably 4th/5th) time for a drivetrain vibration last week, as the tech was getting out of the car following a test drive he said it could be engine mounts...

cue...engine mounts replaced under extended warranty

picked up car (late in the day due to work) and the vibration was still there...if not worse.

cue...phone call and arrange to take car back in a week later

same tech goes on a test drive with me, agrees he can feel the vibration in the seat, floor, steering wheel and at 1400rpm (this one in particular is reproducible)

go back into showroom and service adviser tells me that she has spoken to the tech and he doesn't think there is anything wrong with it but they'll give it a once over...(bit miffed at this point already)

phone call to say car ready, no fault found (surprise surprise), they had apparently checked the suspension and all of the steering parts, even the master-tech had taken it for a test drive and he couldnt fault it...so i go to collect car.

noticed the odo hadn't gone up much so on the off chance i decided to check my dashcam...

car was parked up this morning with me in shot walking away from the car

next video is of car wash guy taking the car for a wash, cue 20 mins of washing and vacuuming etc etc etc

final video is 5 to 6 me walking toward the car and getting in to go...

all the videos are named sequentially so its quite clear that the recordings are in sequence and nothings 'missing' - the camera is hardwired and stuck to the screen, previously it hasnt been hardwired in and i had gone back to car to find the 12v had been taken out (i put this down to the car wash people when they vacuum)

what would people do in this situation?

haven't spoken to dealer as they had closed by the time i got through the videos

have logged a formal complaint with BMW uk

do I have a right to be royally pissed off at this?

I won't name and shame just yet
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
Hi all

I dropped off my F10 (again - probably 4th/5th) time for a drivetrain vibration last week, as the tech was getting out of the car following a test drive he said it could be engine mounts...

cue...engine mounts replaced under extended warranty

picked up car (late in the day due to work) and the vibration was still there...if not worse.

cue...phone call and arrange to take car back in a week later

same tech goes on a test drive with me, agrees he can feel the vibration in the seat, floor, steering wheel and at 1400rpm (this one in particular is reproducible)

go back into showroom and service adviser tells me that she has spoken to the tech and he doesn't think there is anything wrong with it but they'll give it a once over...(bit miffed at this point already)

phone call to say car ready, no fault found (surprise surprise), they had apparently checked the suspension and all of the steering parts, even the master-tech had taken it for a test drive and he couldnt fault it...so i go to collect car.

noticed the odo hadn't gone up much so on the off chance i decided to check my dashcam...

car was parked up this morning with me in shot walking away from the car

next video is of car wash guy taking the car for a wash, cue 20 mins of washing and vacuuming etc etc etc

final video is 5 to 6 me walking toward the car and getting in to go...

all the videos are named sequentially so its quite clear that the recordings are in sequence and nothings 'missing' - the camera is hardwired and stuck to the screen, previously it hasnt been hardwired in and i had gone back to car to find the 12v had been taken out (i put this down to the car wash people when they vacuum)

what would people do in this situation?

haven't spoken to dealer as they had closed by the time i got through the videos

have logged a formal complaint with BMW uk

do I have a right to be royally pissed off at this?

I won't name and shame just yet
You are quite correct to be more than just a little pissed off. Next stage is the Dealer principal, write to him/her send letter, recorded delivery, with copy to BMW stating the facts.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 02:13 AM   #3
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Yes that is shocking, you have taken time out to drop off and collect your vehicle and in return they have totally mugged you off!

Agree that you need to contact the DP
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Agreed. Appalling behavior.

You have to wonder at the intelligence of these people. Many cars now are kitted out with dashcams and trackers etc which leave the owner in no doubt as to what is happening to their cars 24/7. They must be stupid.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

What sorts of goodwill/compensation (if any) can I extract from them?

I now have doubts if the mot was done correctly and indeed any of the other work I've paid for (perhaps I'm just being cynical but if they did sod all on this occasion nothing to say it hasn't been done before)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

For me the initial conversation is about how you get the vibration issue sorted...

Only after this is resolved imo, is the time to start talking about compensation
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:48 AM   #7
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

The dealer principal rang me back and apologised for what had happened and he wants the car in to take a look, I'm willing to give them a 'last chance' but my concern is the techs will just say it's normal and fob me off again!

Im quite confident the car shouldn't have a fine vibration through the floor pan and steering wheel at idle and also when moving. Nor should there be a rumbling vibration throughout the car at 14-1500rpm

I didn't have any of these symptoms when the cars mileage was lower (which is what's making me think something had worn)

All I want to know is what's worn!
Appreciate 0