2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Annoying 3 series owners!

11-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #23
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfa372 View Post
I really don't get people ripping on other models. I owned a 3-series and it was a great car (E90), and now I own an F10. It used to be that 3 & 5 series shared the same platform, but now 5 & 7 share the same platform so the 3 series is no longer anywhere near the 5 series.

Most people that drive a 7, are older. A 5-series is a baby 7-series that is way faster. I mean most 3-series are around $40-$50, while most 5 series are around $65-$85 and 7 series hover around $90-$100.

Each car serves a different purpose

3-series: get them early so the consumers stick to the brand (example: ME)
5-series: a true luxury sports sedan
7-series: Once a person "grows up" and no longer need a ludicrous amount of power, they might get a 7 series.
I agree with you 110 %!!
I still own my 99 323i and use it as my winter car which has more than 300k miles on it! I'm just a BMW fan. love them bad. M5 is still my dream car just doesn't make financial sense right now. I love M3's but at my age (44) I just love my 550i, for the v8 roar and the size. So comfortable for long drives yet i can still flip it to sport mode and have some fun!

I love all BMWs and bashing any one model is not nice. They make nice cars and are the bench mark for other manufacturers to compare with.

If you ever notice automotive commercials on TV or in the dealership, no matter what size vehicle they talk about there is always a reference to a BMW, from 1 series all the way up to 7 series!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

this thread is stupid...

it really sounds like a "mine is better than yours" materialistic kind of thing. We own 5 series in this sub forum. We bought it for a reason. Who cares if it is a bigger 3 or a smaller 7? The only thing worth noting is how happy you are with your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #25
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

It's like you're sitting with a bunch of M5 owners and telling them oh 550i is the same exact car but just a little more horsepower. I mean its a whole freaking another class is my point. Maybe its just a poor man's way of thinking to make himself feel better.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #26
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

I think non-enthusiasts are the ones who see the # on the trunklid as a step ladder to BMW ownership. I got a 3 then upgraded to the 5, then later on got the 7, etc etc etc. Really? Is that how you see these cars? So you don't have a genuine interest in a particular model's abilities and offerings but are just into BMWs to just get the next larger and more expensive model?

These kinds of people who shop these cars based purely on the # on the trunk lid really peeve me.

While I love all the BMW models, personally I find the 3-Series general size and ability to be the epitome of BMW. Currently though the 3 is getting a bit too big and I think I'd be interested in 228i 6-speed or something next. Nothing overwhelming, just a nice balance of comfort, speed, and handling. Being that I like to drive a car that is nimble while providing decent creature comfort and quality, I think the 2-Series is the perfect size. Sat it one at the LA Auto Show and i was in heaven.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

If anyone buys a car based on numbers or image rather than the overall package, then make sure to tell them they're an idiot.

If anyone downplays a higher, more expensive model because they have the smaller cheaper model, then they are in denial that they can't afford the nicer car.

There's plenty of people who are happy with their 3 series and would never touch a 5 series and it's not because of money. They also won't ever say such asinine things.

If you hear someone say such dumb things, then just walk away. You're never going to change your mind. The fact that you take offense to it means that you may have a superiority complex and want to defend your "better car"

Both cars are great for their purpose. If you love your car, who cares what anyone says and skip the drama. Spend that time with your friends and family or make more money. The ultimate insult to any hater is if you live a better life. It's not about owning some supposedly "better" car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #28
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

I came from a f10 platform and it's just a little bigger than the f30 but the f30 handles better. All boils done to personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
I came from a f10 platform and it's just a little bigger than the f30 but the f30 handles better. All boils done to personal preference.
Definitely personal preference. Even acknowledging that fact, how we define handling is subjective, as the ride quality/handling balance is also a personal preference.

The other factor, a well specified 5-series can handle as well or even better than some base specification 3-series. I'm personally amazed how chuckable my 5-series wagon is (with Adaptive Drive) compared to the 3-series E91 wagon it replaced. I often find I'm driving faster speeds through the bends, as it just feels so more composed and sure footed.

It is great that we have choices.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0