2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Coding

01-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Coding

So, for those of you who have coded changes to your F10, I thought I'd solicit some feedback - what did you do, who did it for you, would you recommend it?

I recall reading that one potential coding modification would allow the trunk to be closed (not just opened) from the keyfob. I'd like to get some feedback on others' experience here, in particular who did the coding for you. I understand (from asking with past cars) that BMW will make certain changes but not others. One of the things I'm going to look into is whether there's a way to disable the engine stop/start feature from when the car is started... annoys the heck out of me. I've found that it stays off most of the time (after having turned it off manually a few times), but I'm not sure if that's just because it's cold out.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Coding changed my life. Had it done in Germany, but a private party, so that probably doesn't help you.

Got a lot done, but some of my favorites are: getting rid of the warning when starting, opening/closing wing mirrors via fob, DVD enabled while driving, windows and moonroof operated via fob.

With respect to the trunk, it will only be enabled via fob if you already have the electric closing option.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

These are what I had done. Alex@Alpine Motor Sports did it remotely through my laptop. Search the forums, there are others that code remotely for a reasonable fee (about $100). Absolutely would do it again. Mainly to get rid of the seatbelt chimes and the lawyer screens on the iDrive, the rest is gravy.

- Remove seat belt chimes/warnings
- Remove iDrive & camera warnings
- Windows up/down with key and Comfort Access
- Remove window safety feature (windows will not stop rolling if door is opened)
- Open and close trunk with key and inside trunk release button
- Auto Start/Stop remember last setting
- TPMS display individual tire pressure and temperature
- Electrical system shut down when the driver's door is opened with the engine off.
- Fogs on with high beams (fog lights will not turn off when high beams are used)
- Climate control remember last settings
- Add Sports Display (power & torque meters) in the Vehicle Info screen.
- Allow DVD in motion
- Allow videos to play through USB
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #4
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
One of the things I'm going to look into is whether there's a way to disable the engine stop/start feature from when the car is started... annoys the heck out of me. I've found that it stays off most of the time (after having turned it off manually a few times), but I'm not sure if that's just because it's cold out.
I thought that the 2014's already remember the last Auto Start/Stop setting? (The pre-2014's always default to it ON). But even if you've set it OFF, if you go into ECO-Pro mode that switches it ON, and so it'd be ON the next time you start the car. Maybe that's what's happening with you. But it can also be coded to also always be OFF when the car is started, instead of remembering the last setting.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:14 AM   #5
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

The term "coding" conjures up notions of a programmer having to write or modify code, but in this context it's nothing like that. The kind of coding you're looking for is simply flipping switches - kind of like changing a cell in a spreadsheet from "off" to "on".
If you're so inclined, you can get the cable and software and do it yourself as I did, or you can find someone local to do it, or have it done remotely as mentioned above. The coding forum at Bimmerfest.com has a list of people by state who code and hopefully there's someone close to you who can do it for minimal cost. The items I coded on my 2014 are in my signature.
      01-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Thanks for all of the great replies, guys!

I may actually just look to do it myself since it sounds like it's probably dead simple... and I'm also a SW engineer by background, although these days I spend more time managing engineers. Something hands-on with the car sounds like fun.

The auto stop/start - only having the car for a bit more than a week now (and being in the middle of winter), I wasn't sure if I was seeing the "true" behavior of the function. The dealer told me it would always come on by default when starting the car. However, my experience has been that it seems to remember the "off" position from my last drive. However, I also remember reading (and being told) that the feature would default to "off" if the engine was cold, too. So, I've been left guessing - and I probably played with eco pro a few times, too, which inserted more variability into the mix. Good to know it'll default to OFF if that's where I left it... exactly what I want.

I do have the power tailgate, so I'll probably look to set this to close with the fob, seems useful. Folding in/out the side mirrors with the fob seems potentially useful, too.

It looks like there's an entire forum (**************) for this stuff - taking a quick look at the FXX section. If you guys know of any better resources (specifically for understanding all of the '14 options), I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm probably going to start digging-in on this other forum and googling.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Here's a good list updated to include the 2014 model year. (Open the PDF in the post).
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=73

The ASS for 2014 defaults to last used. In 2013 it defaulted to On.
Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I can point you to the resources to get up and running.

Last edited by SonicEndeavor; 01-10-2014 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0