2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW done it again, useless rain sensors

12-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #23
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
No, 0.5 second tops, I'd say for my wipers.

HighlandPete
Same here - no problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #24
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
As to being fully auto, you don't want a wiper to start if frozen to the screen do you? Where would the protection be? I've seen the mangled wipers on a Jaguar, due to not switching off, on shut down.
Quite so, my partner's Focus has just such a mechanical switch, which remains on when the ignition is switched off.
Despite my repeated exhortations to switch it off and explanations as to the inevitable outcome, she'll start up one frosty morning and I'll end up, at best, changing blades/wiper arms/fuse or possibly a burnt out motor
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #25
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d xDrive F11 '12

Quote:
As to being fully auto, you don't want a wiper to start if frozen to the screen do you? Where would the protection be? I've seen the mangled wipers on a Jaguar, due to not switching off, on shut down.

HighlandPete
That makes sens.

BUT I never had any trouble of this kind with my Lexus IS220d from 2007 and the automatic mode always on.

Plus, any car manufacturers could make the wipers clever enough to guess when they might be frozen (using the outside temp and feeling any resistance to movement).

I guess that's the case for some of them, at least Lexus, not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #26
tintin1012000
Rep
Drives: bme 320d

hey Martin Mustang, believe it or not the BMW rain sensor if made in Ireland, co cork to me exact!!! the sensitivity cannot be adjusted at main dealer, the callibration data is programmed during manufacturing, it is worth looking to ensure that the sensor is attached to the windscreen correctly, if there is any air gap between the sensor and windscreen you will get poor results
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #27
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang
With my old E60 2008 and my wife old 3 E90 2009 series, we both thought the auto wipers sensors simply did not match our old VW cars, the same crap sensors with my F10 and my wife to new X3 , the, in Ireland it is the most important function, it simply always rain rain rain.
Does anyone knows if the sensors can be made more sensitive via the dealer, the sensitiveness setup in the car is to max, and the wipers often decide to take a break before going back to the a good speed. Sometimes I need to switch the crap off and on again, like awake up call.
I find it annoying that VW are able to produce better sensors, I am talking about 2006 cars.
One important note: BMWs rain sensing wipers increase wiping speed based on conditions.

So, when it's pouring it is wiping at high speed. And when it's drizzling it wipes at a low speed intermittently.

However, if it is pouring and your are vehicle is stopped, the wipers will slow down. If you evaluate the performance of the rain sensing wipers when your vehicle is stopped, it might give you the impression they suck. But, the moment you drive off, the wipers will pick up speed in downpour conditions.

I suspect you are more likely to evaluate the rain sending wiper performance when the vehicle has stopped. Well, I just want to point out that the wipers do slow down when you are stopped---even during a downpour and even when rain sensing is activated.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #28
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Interesting, no issues with my E60 or F10 I am afraid, they work exactly as required
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #29
535Individual
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Individual (12/2012)

Garage List
Rain sensors

If you were aware of the rain sensor operation prior to purchasing your BMW, would you not have made the purchase? Just curious.
2013 535i BMW Individual Moonstone(Mondstein)Metallic with BMW Individual composition•Platinum Ext. Merino leather with Piano Black Trim•Individual wood inlay steering wheel•Ceramic Controls•B & O Sound System•Driver Assist Package•Luxury Seating Package•Technology Package• Premium Package•Dynamic Damping Control•Parking Assistant•Power rear sunshade•Soft-close automatic doors•Automatic high beams•
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #30
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

It is possible to increase the sensitivity of the rain sensor.

Please contact me if you need assistance.
Appreciate 0