2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Advice please - Front Splitter or Spoiler

10-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M Sport Package

Advice please - Front Splitter or Spoiler

I am interested in installing either a carbon fiber M Performance front splitter or a Vorsteiner carbon fiber front spoiler.

My question is, what is the function of a splitter as opposed to a front spoiler? Would one be 'preferable' to the other.

To be perfectly honest, I want to install one because I think they look cool.

That being said, if one is functionally superior to the other, I'll go for that (I actually also plan to install a Vorsteiner CF rear diffuser).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-Ten ///M

Both are aesthetically pleasing. A splitter and front spoiler are both designed to reduce lift and spoil the airflow accumulating underneath the moving vehicle, with the exception that splitters are usually fitted as an add-on to the spoiler.

As far as performance is concerned, I highly doubt the nuances between the two will affect your decision as both wouldn't dramatically augment any gains.

Twill pattern in regards to the carbon fiber are beautiful w/ BMW providing a slightly more refined weave. Either one is a quality choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighConcept View Post
Both are aesthetically pleasing. A splitter and front spoiler are both designed to reduce lift and spoil the airflow accumulating underneath the moving vehicle, with the exception that splitters are usually fitted as an add-on to the spoiler.

As far as performance is concerned, I highly doubt the nuances between the two will affect your decision as both wouldn't dramatically augment any gains.

Twill pattern in regards to the carbon fiber are beautiful w/ BMW providing a slightly more refined weave. Either one is a quality choice.
Thanks for the advice HighConcept. I'm going for the M performance splitter
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

I think it does say on the BMW M Performance website, that if you attach the front splitter / spoiler, you should also get the rear one installed (on the saloon supposedly) in order to benefit from the better downforce.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
I think it does say on the BMW M Performance website, that if you attach the front splitter / spoiler, you should also get the rear one installed (on the saloon supposedly) in order to benefit from the better downforce.
You are absolutely correct xs2man, i've ordered my car with the m sport package. i'm assuming that the rear spoiler will be sufficient (although imo the small roof spoiler over the rear window looks better).
Appreciate 0