2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Flat tire on non run flats in the desert

06-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Coming back from Tahoe to LA and half way through realized I had a nail in the tire almost near the sidewall. Knowing that I'm always running a risk on a road trip with non run flats I came prepared.

- tire plug kit / razor to cut excess
- air compressor
- tire gauge
- fix a flat
- grease marker

Moving at high speeds (undisclosed) while keeping my "vehicle status" screen up that contains tire temp and PSI, I heard a clunk in the fender well followed by the infamous BMW bong warning sound. The nail had flown out and PSI dropped dramatically to 10 PSI.

Pulled over to a safe area, turned on hazards and wished I had a triangle hazard. Located the hole, marked it with a grease pencil rolled the tire so the mark/hole was exposed out and accessible. Put cement glue and probed the hole 3 times, pushed in the plug 3/4 of the way, trimmed down to 1/8", compressor up to 25psi and filled the rest with fix a flat. Did that in about 15minutes and was back and running.

Some take aways:
Don't use fix a flat if you don't have to. I did because it was near the sidewall and the tire is done at that point. Also it causes crazy vibration from the liquid until it dries.

The compressor I got was shitty and I could of been done in less then 5 minutes had it filled faster.

Run flats would of only taking me 50 miles and the nearest tire shop was over a 100 away.

Get the BMW hazard triangle

The plug and fix a flat took me 300 miles without issue.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 1
cdmulders326.50
      06-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

Got me confident on running non-RFT on my next set of tires.

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 05:34 AM   #3
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post

Run flats would of only taking me 50 miles and the nearest tire shop was over a 100 away.
Not quite, they are rated to go 50 miles but may go a lot further.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
lleser
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Coming back from Tahoe to LA and half way through realized I had a nail in the tire almost near the sidewall. Knowing that I'm always running a risk on a road trip with non run flats I came prepared.

- air compressor
- tire gauge
- fix a flat
- grease marker

Moving at high speeds (undisclosed) while keeping my "vehicle status" screen up that contains tire temp and PSI, I heard a clunk in the fender well followed by the infamous BMW bong warning sound. The nail had flown out and PSI dropped dramatically to 10 PSI.

Pulled over to a safe area, turned on hazards and wished I had a triangle hazard. Located the hole, marked it with a grease pencil rolled the tire so the mark/hole was exposed out and accessible. Put cement glue and probed the hole 3 times, pushed in the plug 3/4 of the way, trimmed down to 1/8", compressor up to 25psi and filled the rest with fix a flat. Did that in about 15minutes and was back and running.

Some take aways:
Don't use fix a flat if you don't have to. I did because it was a near sidewalk hole and the tire is done. Also it causes crazy vibration from the liquid until it dries.

The compressor I got was shitty and I could of been done in less then 5 minutes had it filled faster.

What compressor do you have? Would like to avoid it!
      06-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
lleser
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:

- air compressor
- tire gauge
- fix a flat
- grease marker

Some take aways:
Don't use fix a flat if you don't have to. I did because it was a near sidewalk hole and the tire is done. Also it causes crazy vibration from the liquid until it dries.

06-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Happy ending
Good idea I will have to get some tire plugs and small compressor
      06-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trian View Post
Not quite, they are rated to go 50 miles but may go a lot further.
I don't know about "a lot" further, but yes you could go past 50 miles.
While I still had runFlats I've gone a bit more than that, had car parked for two days until my TireRack order arrived then took it to the dealer (all at fairly low speeds and not busy streets), and had no issues.

You are risking major damage to the rim of course, but I took a chance since dealer isn't that far and just didn't want to have the car towed at the time.

Quote:
Glad it all worked out OK, I especially enjoyed "undisclosed speeds" part of the story.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

I have a similar "kit" in my trunk as well. I don't have the grease pencil, but might help. I can always reference a spot on the tire sidewall as a reference I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Damn, good info. Shopping list asap is plug kit, triangle and grease pencil.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #10
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lleser View Post
Quote:

- air compressor
- tire gauge
- fix a flat
- grease marker

Some take aways:

Some crappy one from Napa auto parts. I'll take a pic of it later.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

I'm happy with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it is extremely accurate.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
corys530
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

I opted to get this, plus a BMW jack off Ebay for 35$

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-F10-KIT.html

Smaller than the reg tire so its easy to pull in-n-out when needing the space
2014 328i
2012 535i
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #13
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by corys530 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by corys530 View Post

Nice!

Appreciate 0