2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N63tu 550i spark plug/ignition coil question

04-27-2021, 03:30 AM   #1
Chirho1987
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

N63tu 550i spark plug/ignition coil question

Hey all,

Fairly new bmw 550i owner. Have had some issues with minor rough idling when at a stop light. It almost stalled once but that was the only time and when I hit the accelerator, it was fine.

I have since upgrade the cold air intake and the idle is better but I can feel it drop, every now and then, from 750 rpm idle to low 500 rpm and a noticeable physical rumbling in the butt dyno.

Now to the real question:
I have no real service record for the car so I have no idea when or if the spark plugs and coils have been done. If have read up and seems that this is the biggest issue for possibly rough idle (or fuel injectors). I want to replace them myself but have no idea what the best plugs and coils are nor part numbers to look for.

I am currently installing catless downpipes and hopefully be able to find a tuner soon. So I am expecting to hopefully run at least stage 1, maybe stage 2. So I'll be looking for the best sparks and coils to handle a little more than stage 0. If anyone knows of any tune shops in around Tucson, AZ let me know!

Thanks for any info you all have. So glad I have joined the bimmer club!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #2
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

So i have a 2014 550iM as well

I have a dinan CAI (which also maintains the stock intake)

i did run the N63 intake on my car for a while, loved the sound (i could hear the turbos) but the MAF wasn't secured properly, and due that i got a CEL due to the intake, once we put back to stock CEL never came back. Mostly due to the intake being leaky, could have just been my particular intake, but decided to put back to stock and then look for a used dinan one

I have a stage 1 tune from mission performance (engine and trans) with stock downpipes and a m5comp package exhaust (from resonators back)

Mission recommended colder spark plugs, and recommended stock coil packs.

I just swapped out the plugs and coil packs (went with oem bosch) which are more than sufficient.

I went with Mission Performance because of the good things i heard about them.

Alex @ Mission Perf has been great and is very knowledgable.

Maybe worth a call to discuss what you're looking to do and see how he can help.

I didn't want to mess with the emissions and daily reliability of the car, hence the stage 1 tune, and some other light mods...

hope that helps! and welcome to the club...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #3
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
I am currently Stage 3 (ECMTuner/Sergey flash) stacked w/JB4 N63 here in Utah. Turbos, CL DP's, CA/FM intakes, x-pipe & res & muffler deletes, DV's, WMI, XHP trans tune (adding tomorrow) + a couple other things. I think I'm considered FBO now, bearings and rods are the only thing I think I have left and/or bigger bigger turbos.

Daily driver, and I run NGK 97506 (2 step colder) @ .022 gap, I have 2 sets of plugs on hand at all times, running Bavarian AutoSport coils but I'm switching back to Eldor coils this weekend. I ran 0.026 and 0.020 gaps, my happy median is 0.022

This is my opinion, no facts or data to prove my opinion nor am I discrediting anyone else opinion….. Bosch are okay for stock cars, BAV Auto coils are okay but the Eldors I feel are the best. I think it's preference really but that is my experience.

Before you tune, install NEW plugs and coils. I think I overdo maintenance but I guess I'm crazy. JB4 can be used with tune for WMI integration and safety plus adjustability on the fly, that's my rec. Good luck and happy boostin!!
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
Chirho1987
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550bye View Post
I am currently Stage 3 (ECMTuner/Sergey flash) stacked w/JB4 N63 here in Utah. Turbos, CL DP's, CA/FM intakes, x-pipe & res & muffler deletes, DV's, WMI, XHP trans tune (adding tomorrow) + a couple other things. I think I'm considered FBO now, bearings and rods are the only thing I think I have left and/or bigger bigger turbos.

Daily driver, and I run NGK 97506 (2 step colder) @ .022 gap, I have 2 sets of plugs on hand at all times, running Bavarian AutoSport coils but I'm switching back to Eldor coils this weekend. I ran 0.026 and 0.020 gaps, my happy median is 0.022

This is my opinion, no facts or data to prove my opinion nor am I discrediting anyone else opinion….. Bosch are okay for stock cars, BAV Auto coils are okay but the Eldors I feel are the best. I think it's preference really but that is my experience.

Before you tune, install NEW plugs and coils. I think I overdo maintenance but I guess I'm crazy. JB4 can be used with tune for WMI integration and safety plus adjustability on the fly, that's my rec. Good luck and happy boostin!!

Awesome! This info was sooo helpful. I ordered the ngk's. Do you have the parts# for the eldor coils?

Also for the plugs, Fcpeuro says they are not compatible on the 550i? Is that going to be an issue?

Last edited by Chirho1987; 04-30-2021 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 11:03 PM   #5
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirho1987 View Post
Quote:

Awesome! This info was sooo helpful. I ordered the ngk's. Do you have the parts# for the eldor coils?

Also for the plugs, Fcpeuro says they are not compatible on the 550i? Is that going to be an issue?
Any time buddy. Eldor coils part number is 12138657273. Get them from FCPEuro as well, they have a lifetime warranty on all parts including oil. That's why I said I have two sets of coils on me at all times, b/c if you save the boxes you can return them through their exchange program and all you pay is shipping.

Think of it this way, [8x] NGK 97506 are about $115 (way more locally, like $25 per plug at Orielly or AAP), [8x] Eldor coils are about $270 and [2x] 5 liter LiquiMoly MolyGen 5w40 plus filter kit is about $100, so about $485 every 6 months is about $1k a year, I pay about $35 every 3 months for shipping so about $140 a year and I get 4 changes to your 2 plus I save $800 in doing so.

I do this with coils, plugs, filters, oil, MAF's, and everything else. It's a little pricey upfront to buy double of everything so you can return you first set of replacements and keep your car running but it is so worth it. I'm literally returning plugs and MAF's tomorrow morning.

The plugs are fine for your car, they don't 'fit your car' because it's technically for other models but they work better on tuned cars especially ours and they are technically not the exact part from my understanding.

So setup your account on FCPEuro and start working that exchange program, it will save you a ton of money especially on tuned cars when maintenance intervals are almost cut in half but all those savings go to upgrades/mods. I suggest anyone and everyone does this until they put a stop to it or go out of business because of us 🤷🏽🤷🏽

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...657273#fitment
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 11:07 PM   #6
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Burger MotorSports also recommend the 97506's on their website as well, the gap tool is awesome too. Always check the gaps, they are prevailed but I would say 1 in 16 are off.

https://burgertuning.com/collections...31341539229811
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 02:44 AM   #7
Chirho1987
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any time buddy. Eldor coils part number is 12138657273. Get them from FCPEuro as well, they have a lifetime warranty on all parts including oil. That's why I said I have two sets of coils on me at all times, b/c if you save the boxes you can return them through their exchange program and all you pay is shipping.

Think of it this way, [8x] NGK 97506 are about $115 (way more locally, like $25 per plug at Orielly or AAP), [8x] Eldor coils are about $270 and [2x] 5 liter LiquiMoly MolyGen 5w40 plus filter kit is about $100, so about $485 every 6 months is about $1k a year, I pay about $35 every 3 months for shipping so about $140 a year and I get 4 changes to your 2 plus I save $800 in doing so.

I do this with coils, plugs, filters, oil, MAF's, and everything else. It's a little pricey upfront to buy double of everything so you can return you first set of replacements and keep your car running but it is so worth it. I'm literally returning plugs and MAF's tomorrow morning.

The plugs are fine for your car, they don't 'fit your car' because it's technically for other models but they work better on tuned cars especially ours and they are technically not the exact part from my understanding.

So setup your account on FCPEuro and start working that exchange program, it will save you a ton of money especially on tuned cars when maintenance intervals are almost cut in half but all those savings go to upgrades/mods. I suggest anyone and everyone does this until they put a stop to it or go out of business because of us 🤷🏽🤷🏽

Thanks again for the info. I did end up going through fcpeuro. Can't beat the lifetime warranty. Plus I saw a bunch of other bmw owners backing up the company too.

The install on the plugs and coils was easy. I still have a fluctuation in my idle rpms that did not have prior to installing the new downpipes. I'm assuming it is because of having stock ecu and aftermarket intake and downpipes.

I am looking to do a stage 2 tune from mission performance. Only thing is they recommend a transmission tune as well. Do you think this is necessary? Dont really want to spend the extra money if I don't have to. I am not looking to push my car hard core. It's just my daily driver that I might occasionally get on the power with to whip a mustangs ass.

Thinking of getting an e46 as a project car/race car.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 10:29 PM   #8
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirho1987 View Post
Quote:

Thanks again for the info. I did end up going through fcpeuro. Can't beat the lifetime warranty. Plus I saw a bunch of other bmw owners backing up the company too.

The install on the plugs and coils was easy. I still have a fluctuation in my idle rpms that did not have prior to installing the new downpipes. I'm assuming it is because of having stock ecu and aftermarket intake and downpipes.

I am looking to do a stage 2 tune from mission performance. Only thing is they recommend a transmission tune as well. Do you think this is necessary? Dont really want to spend the extra money if I don't have to. I am not looking to push my car hard core. It's just my daily driver that I might occasionally get on the power with to whip a mustangs ass.

Thinking of getting an e46 as a project car/race car.
I am not sure on Mission, I think it's similar to XHP's tune and maps for trans. XHP is only $300 with maps compared to the $600 or $700 from Mission though. I think you only have to really worry about it if your over 700nm, on stock turbos I don't know if you'll be over that limit but maybe some of those MP guys can speak up to it because I really don't know. If your looking at Sergey's tune and XHP then I can give my advice and opinions.

Good luck either way, Stage 2 you will hand Mustangs their asses unless they are completely built. On stock boost, no meth, in comfort (tune off) and just JB4 in Map 1 and my bolt ons, I kept up with another 800HP 5.0, I'm looking for him now and I know I can put bus lengths on him. Just get the tune done and gauge what your car feels like, then you can do the trans tune. I would do the trans fluid/filter change first if not already done. My car is a daily and I'm at Stage 3 so you should be fine.

I would look into that fluctuating issue before your tune though, might be a boost or vacuum leak that might save you some major headaches down the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 12:01 PM   #9
Cali8055
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i X Drive

Garage List
What type of coils will be recommended for the N63tu ? some people agree on the eldors but some don’t . So I’d like some advice thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 12:19 AM   #10
TuckerE36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali8055 View Post
What type of coils will be recommended for the N63tu ? some people agree on the eldors but some don’t . So I’d like some advice thank you
The posts above had some really solid advice. I commented on another thread you're in. I did a heavy amount of research between the different types of coils prior to my tune and the consensus was that Eldor were some of the best. I pair these with NGK 97506 plugs gapped to 0.022" since I have a custom tune.
2015 Lexus RC350 FS-SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 02:49 PM   #11
Cali8055
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i X Drive

Garage List
Ah got you bro . And would those spark plugs you used would those be ok to use on a non tune ? Lots of people had issues with the elder but some actually liked they . I might go with Delphi jusy to play it safe and spark plugs I’m still wondering for my N63tu 14 550i
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 11:22 PM   #12
TuckerE36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali8055 View Post
Ah got you bro . And would those spark plugs you used would those be ok to use on a non tune ? Lots of people had issues with the elder but some actually liked they . I might go with Delphi jusy to play it safe and spark plugs I’m still wondering for my N63tu 14 550i
If you are just going to stay stock you can get the kit at FCP. I do believe you can run the NGK 97506 plugs on factory tune but maybe at stock gap which is 0.032" IIRC? Not 100% positive. Delphi are good too.
2015 Lexus RC350 FS-SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 05:01 AM   #13
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I thought the eldors did not fit on the N63tu which is why fcp don’t list them. I’ve read a few consistent problems which is why I went Delphi. I’m stock so I’m not trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of it.
Appreciate 0