2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Wheel, wheel weight, offset and suspension Information/Questions

12-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

Wheel, wheel weight, offset and suspension Information/Questions

Going to try to put all the questions in one thread. I've been doing a bunch of searches and not sure I've found definitive answers on these questions in previous threads.

1. What's the logic behind staggered wheel setups specifically for AWD cars? It definitely makes sense for RWD cars. All of my previous AWD cars had non-staggered set ups. Is it just aesthetics?

2. Without lowering the car and with the stock (square) 19x8.5 m-sport wheels and tires, what spacers would I need to get the wheels more flush with the fender? (can use the spacer and stock offset to calc proper offset for aftermarket wheels and tires of different widths.)

3. When lowering the car with let's say H&R springs, the added camber will push the tops of the wheel inside the fender a bit so what sized spacers would be needed to get the wheels flush when lowered on H&R? (can use the spacer and stock offset to calc proper offset for aftermarket wheels and tires of different widths.)

4. Are non-drivetrain aftermarket parts the same between the 535 xDrive and 535D xDrive? such as springs? On H&R's website there is one part number listed for springs for the 535D (non xDrive) and a different one for 535 xDrive but none for the 535D xDrive. Assuming the 535 xDrive part will fit the 535D xDrive?

5. What does a typical spring installation cost?

6. On a previous car I intsalled aftermarket wheels and tires that were 11lbs per corner lighter, and had 12mm wider offset. The result was definitely noticeable in both acceleration, braking and handling. While weight isn't my primary concern I would like the lightest good looking aftermarket wheels I could find. Obviously forged would be the lightest, but taking cost into account I think that flow formed wheels are a good balance of price, strength and weight. What are the lightest 20 inch flow formed wheels?

thanks in advance for the info.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

1. Quote: "xDrive provides variable torque split between the front and rear axles through the use of a multi-plate wet clutch located in the gearbox on the output to the front drive shaft. This setup allows xDrive to modulate the torque split between the front and the rear axles, which is normally split at 40:60 ratio. If wheel slip is detected by the ABS/DSC system system, xDrive can react within a tenth of a second to redistribute up to 100% of the engine power to the front or rear axle." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_xDrive

That means, if you drive aggressively enough, 60% of the full torque hit the rear tires, until the system decides to redistribute. Therefore staggered setup make sense. If you have your BMW with xDrive to commute in Eco mode, the square setup with the stock wheels is OK.

2. According to realoem.com and your pictures, you have the M double spoke 351 - 19'' http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...27&hg=36&fg=15 with the square setup of 8,5JX19 ET:33. With 8.5" both front and rear you can have the hubcentric 10-12 mm front spacer and 20-25 mm rear. Good site to know all about wheels and specs is tirerack.com.

3. The H&R springs provide 30-35 mm lowering, together with small vertical tilt of the struts the added camber is too small and can be disregarded. For the 19" wheels it is even less important compared to the 90% of people running 20" wheels and the rest running 21" (even 22") also with H&R or Eibach or ACS. However if you want to check it carefully, you can easily measure the gaps yourself, see: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336209

4. The whole F10 body and suspension dimensions are the same. BMW itself makes a lot of confusion with model numbering, i.e. yours US 535d is our European 530d. H&R makes it even more complicated: their website says the sport sway bars fit only 2WD while it is confirmed they fit perfectly xDrive too. The only reasonable difference is the springs, because petrol and diesel engines have different weight i.e. axle load is different. Find an experienced local shop or BMW partner (also site sponsors) for guidance.

5. It's DIY 4 hours otherwise depends on the shop rates. 300-400$ and plus maybe alignment if necessary (not always).

6. Many of members here believe the proper wheels is the number one thing to do. Taking cost into account I would recommend looking at VMR, Forgestar, Avant Garde, Renn etc. (also check the Tirerack).

Hope the other members will chime in and give you more of helpful advices.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

Thanks for the info valbmw.

Just wanted to see if anyone had real world numbers for weights of aftermarket wheels. Car is pretty heavy so I'm hesitant to go with 20 inch gravity cast wheels as they will either be brittle or heavy. Forged wheels are pretty pricey and I'd prefer not to go that route if I don' have to. Was looking at flow formed wheels from the manufacturers valbmw listed and even those vary in weight. I've seen as low as 22lbs and up to 28lbs for flow formed (in 20x8.5). Stock wheels weigh 33lbs, stock tires weigh 30lbs. A 22lb wheel and a 25lb (non-runflat) tire weight 47lbs, 16lbs reduction per (front) corner. If going with staggered, 25lb wheel (wider wheel) and 27lbs tire is 52lbs, still 11lbs reduction per rear corner. That's 54-64lbs of reduction in rotating, unsprung mass. Tirerack has specifics on tire weights and some wheel weights but only the wheels they carry. Anyone have specific weights of VMR, Forgestar, Avant Garde, and Renn wheels by model?

Wonder why manufacturers don't just publish them...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Some useful info for your research: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265756
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

very nice link! thanks!
Appreciate 0