2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Let's say you had $1.5 million in an account...

06-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
mpower4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 Avus Blue M3 / E39 M5 / M4

Yes I know it belongs in the other section but I also know not as many of you probably go into that as often. Hence, why I posted here. Honestly investments scare the shit out of me since I've seen many people lose everything in the blink of an eye... Not too mention I am not the most knowledgable when it comes to things like offshore accounts and what not. Wealth manager seems like a good start. Was thinking a house but how much to throw down on it in cash im not sure. Newer car (E92 M3 or maybe wait for the F8x to come out). Would it be the worst idea just to keep the rest in a CD at a decent rate ? Honestly I'm not sure about the real estate as it seems a bit risky and but a lot of factors play into that. Yeah, it's big right now (rentals) but as soon as something is known to be big it always comes back down to reality. As far as my starting a business... I think it would be risky even though I do strive to do so I just need to get a solid business plan and of what exactly to get into. Any other thoughts?
      06-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
mpower4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 Avus Blue M3 / E39 M5 / M4

With all the time I spent at college learning impractical things I would have rather now just done things self taught on concepts I can actually apply and use with all these things being discussed to become much more inclined with how to get ahead in life using creative ways and applying to real world 2012 situations.
      06-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #25
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

"Would it be the worst idea just to keep the rest in a CD at a decent rate ?"

Define decent! Have you looked a what CD's are paying these days? Jumbo ($100,000+, 60 month) CD's are paying just 1.5% or so. You are earning a negative real return once you factor in inflation....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #26
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Just don't blow it on Nose Candy

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #27
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Work hard, save for rainy day.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #28
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
can you elaborate on the being hired through your company by the employers
part
i think someone answered this already but,

when you create your own business and incorporate. You are hired as a corporation contracted to the business who hires you for your services. If you negotiate with your bosses they can hire you for your skills but through your corporation rather than as an individual. Corporations get taxed MUCH LESS around 15% or less for the salary that was quoted, as an individual for 200K you would get taxed around 34%.

Funny how the government will EFFF YOU for all your money but if you know a few things you can get what you deserve and compensate for what they are basically stealing from you.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #29
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Denver View Post
i think someone answered this already but,

when you create your own business and incorporate. You are hired as a corporation contracted to the business who hires you for your services. If you negotiate with your bosses they can hire you for your skills but through your corporation rather than as an individual. Corporations get taxed MUCH LESS around 15% or less for the salary that was quoted, as an individual for 200K you would get taxed around 34%.

Funny how the government will EFFF YOU for all your money but if you know a few things you can get what you deserve and compensate for what they are basically stealing from you.
Help me understand. Your former employer hires you through your newly incorporated company. Your new company pays less taxes on the money that flows through to its' bottom line, but once your corporation pays you, you are then taxed on that income at an individual tax rate. That money has now been taxed twice. First at your corporation tax rate, and then your individual tax rate.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #30
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post
Help me understand. Your former employer hires you through your newly incorporated company. Your new company pays less taxes on the money that flows through to its' bottom line, but once your corporation pays you, you are then taxed on that income at an individual tax rate. That money has now been taxed twice. First at your corporation tax rate, and then your individual tax rate.
Depends, there are other steps you can take to not get taxed twice, depends where you set up your corporation and where your funds are.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #31
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Denver View Post
Depends, there are other steps you can take to not get taxed twice, depends where you set up your corporation and where your funds are.

My question is only taking into consideration federal taxes, not state taxes since you can incorporate in a state that does not have state income taxes. Not trying to be difficult, but I don't see the benefit if its' done in compliance with the US federal tax code.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #32
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

invest it and turn it into 3 mill within a year
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #33
SirSpeedy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

You would likely benefit from seeking financial advisement from a professional.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #34
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

cast scarlett johansson on a sex scene witn me. then spend whats left over on a good marage councelor to save my mirage.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #35
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherM3 View Post
20 person posse...Mansion in Beverly Hills with a pool shaped like my penis.
good luck on getting this stuff in BH for only 1.5M... if you find it, please point me in that direction, cause that's a steal. minus the penis shaped pool of course... i prefer infinity
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #36
boostedM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Best advice? Don't take financial advice from randoms on a car forum. I'm sure there are many many smart people on here with sound financial advice, but you have no idea who those are. Best to consult a professional.

Also, don't be afraid of "investment". It's a broad term that can cover a lot of things; some safe, some risky, and some Goldie Locks perfect right in the middle. Be open to the ideas of whatever financial adviser you choose.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #37
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post
+1 you still have to pay personal income tax at some point
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #38
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

send them to my account? (just kidding lol)

you definitely want to see and speak to some professionals out there. Pretty sure they will have a better idea for you than random guys like us here.
      06-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #39
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS
You're not taxed twice. You get taxed on the money you take out of the corporation for yourself, but employee salaries and wages can generally be deducted against your corporation's tax bill, avoiding the first tax you refer to. And even some of the money that comes into your corporation that stays with it as operating capital can be deducted if it's spent in certain ways to benefit the corporation. So that money isn't cash in your own checking account, but if you own the company you've still got a valuable asset.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 06-17-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #40
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedM
Best advice? Don't take financial advice from randoms on a car forum. I'm sure there are many many smart people on here with sound financial advice, but you have no idea who those are. Best to consult a professional.

Also, don't be afraid of "investment". It's a broad term that can cover a lot of things; some safe, some risky, and some Goldie Locks perfect right in the middle. Be open to the ideas of whatever financial adviser you choose.
+1. OP, if you don't trust yourself to make good investment decisions, hire a portfolio manager at a major firm, work with them to set your parameters (how much growth you expect over what period of time, level of acceptable risk for potential return, etc) and let them manage it for a fee of 1% per year or so. If they do things right, with $1.5 mil, even after taxes and reinvesting a good chunk of your returns to compensate for inflation and allow your wealth to continue increasing, you should still be able to take a sizable amount out to live off of without decreasing the principal -- in fact returns from a principal of that size should be on the level of a very decent salary.

Property could work the same way. Buy some property, then hire a property management firm to deal with renting it out, handling tenants, doing repairs, etc. so you just collect the check every month with little to no hassles.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 06-17-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #41
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherM3 View Post
20 person posse...Mansion in Beverly Hills with a pool shaped like my penis.
but what is OP going to do with a 3-inch pool?

just kidding...i couldn't resist
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #42
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
You're not taxed twice. You get taxed on the money you take out of the corporation for yourself, but employee salaries and wages can generally be deducted against your corporation's tax bill, avoiding the first tax you refer to. And even some of the money that comes into your corporation that stays with it as operating capital can be deducted if it's spent in certain ways to benefit the corporation. So that money isn't cash in your own checking account, but if you own the company you've still got a valuable asset.
Of course you are not taxed twice on other employee's salaries and legitimate corporate expenses such as rent and maintenance of an office. But you also do not derive a real personal benefit from these expenses. Now you can be aggressive with how you account for corporate expenses, but be prepared to defend that practice when you are audited by the IRS.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #43
justacat
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower4life View Post
OK... now let's say you had $1.5 million sitting in an account and let's say had an income between two people of around $200K coming in a year... what would you do with that money?
Enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #44
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
two chicks at the same time
Office Space?