2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Quickie question...

10-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quickie question...

For you guys in "hail country", how does your BMW hold up to hail? We just had some serious hail in Mansfield, TX (south of DFW). It was so bad it set off the alarm. When we go down to the car tomorrow morning am I in for a very bad surprise? I'd sure hate to have to drive back to the PRK tomorrow in a car that looks like a golf ball. I'm pretty sure that would total the car and the very last thing I want is to have to replace my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
FrannieMoral2017
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 550i GT

Replace your car? Did a giant ball fall and crush the car? Paint correction is easy and cheap. Even dents. Even if the totaled it why would you replace it? Get it smoothed out and continue to drive it. Hail is devastating to everyone's paint. Not sure how many peoples totaled their cars out cause a few nickel to quarter size dents and paint chip.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

It is going to depend on the hail size and severity and the exposure your car had.
It normally takes pretty large hail to do damage.
Mine has been out in the marble sized stuff with no signs.
Hope I didn't just jinx myself!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Hopefully no damage
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannieMoral2017 View Post
Replace your car? Did a giant ball fall and crush the car? Paint correction is easy and cheap. Even dents. Even if the totaled it why would you replace it? Get it smoothed out and continue to drive it. Hail is devastating to everyone's paint. Not sure how many peoples totaled their cars out cause a few nickel to quarter size dents and paint chip.
The last hail storm we were in broke out two of the hotel windows as well as the front and rear windscreen of a brand new Mitsu Lancer. The hail also severely damaged every panel on the car. Aluminum can't be "smoothed-out" or PDRed. A nickle or quarter size dent is unacceptable for anything but a beater, which I won't own, let alone drive. Apparently you've never been in a hail storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
It is going to depend on the hail size and severity and the exposure your car had.
It normally takes pretty large hail to do damage.
Mine has been out in the marble sized stuff with no signs.
Hope I didn't just jinx myself!
In the parking lot lights and hearing it bang on the hotel roof (we were on the top floor) the hail looked marble size or maybe a little bigger. At least we missed the tornado that hit N. Dallas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

Hopefully no damage
Thankfully, none whatsoever. I remembered in that hail storm I mentioned above I was pretty sure our car (Lincoln LS) would also be pretty banged-up. It survived without a single ding or dent.

BMW uses some pretty sturdy aluminum and steel!!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
FrannieMoral2017
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 550i GT

Been through hail just never had a problem with it to the point my insurance company said "Yea this bitch it totaled."
Had a few nickel and quarter sized dents on my hood, a lot of paint chip and dents on the polyurethane bumpers. Found a body shop they smoothed it out paint correction and added a ceramic coat and bam. Just like new! Crazy how professional body shop peoples can smooth anything out. From steel to aluminum to plastic! And as it seems you must have the cash cause " I WONT OWN A BEATER! UNNACPETABLE" bs makes it seem so.
Appreciate 0