2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Circuit of the Americas: Track Seating

02-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Circuit of the Americas: Track Seating

March 1st they will be calling me about seating options. So, I'd like to get a discussion going about seating at Grand Prix in general.

I've haven't had the pleasure to go to a Grand Prix yet. My schedule just never has the time. To anyone who has been, what typically are the best seats to view the race from?

Specifically to the questionnaire that I just filled out for the Austin Track; Obviously they talk up the main grandstand, and I'm strongly considering them. But the description of the Turn one Stands sounds very appealing, as it is the highest point of the track and should let you see pretty much everything with a good pair of binoculars. Especially those flowing 'S' curves.

My main question is, if I were to get a club box seat in the main grand stand (top level) would I be able to see over the pit lane buildings to see the rest of the track?

I welcome all experienced replies!
      02-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
CWS335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 (Ordered)

I like a seat at a slow corner. Otherwise, you'll never get a good pic unless you have a professional-grade camera.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS335 View Post
I like a seat at a slow corner. Otherwise, you'll never get a good pic unless you have a professional-grade camera.
Slow corners also usually provide more views of passing. Think about it, someone out-breaking into a slow corner or getting someone else on the exit.

Much more exciting.

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

I agree. I've sat by the pits before, and yes you can see the mechanics work etc, but you will watch the race from the screens. only fun will be the start.
Slow corner is good... the more track you can see in the distance, the better.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

I filled out their survey as well after paying for my reserved spot. I've been to several F1 races in Australia, Canada and Monte Carlo and I can tell you first hand that the slowest corner or one coming off a straight is the best. this is obvious from most races. Typically the pit row or front straight seats contain all the people who just want to be seen. the racing doesn't typically take place there unless you count the pits.

I will be buying a PSL on turn 1, no doubt. Just not sure if i want 2 or 4 seats yet. Maybe i should get a whole row for M3 owners only
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
JB991
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 Tacoma, 15 Accord, 16 GT3

Did you ever get a call? I am supposed to be on the list, or at least they took my $100, and I haven't heard a word.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Limey
EXC MIII
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmf75 View Post
Did you ever get a call? I am supposed to be on the list, or at least they took my $100, and I haven't heard a word.
Me too. Anyone else pay and get no call? Nothing on the website re this. More delays I expect. No surprise if it's cancelled :-(

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Elementary
If you ain't first, you're last!
Rep
Drives: M Drei

I'm on the list too, we'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I got called. It's definitely in the works.
      03-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Limey
EXC MIII
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok great. Did u have to commit to buying tickets on the spot or did they give u some options/time to decide?

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
Ok great. Did u have to commit to buying tickets on the spot or did they give u some options/time to decide?
A few things, no I didn't have to buy on the spot. Though they do ask you to. There is at least over a month of time to figure out what you'd like to do. However, he did say that there are currently 15,000 entrants and that only 2,000 would get the Club Seat PSL. The prices that he mentioned to me is as follows.

1. Club Seating: $5,000 + $1,250 per year. (Total of $23,750 for 15 years)
2. Mezzanine: $3,500 + $1,000 per year. (Total of $18,500 for 15 years)
3. Lower Seating: $2,500 + $775 per year. (Total of $14,125 for 15 years)
4. Side Bleachers: $1,500 + $500 per year. (Total of $9,000 for 15 years)

The per year costs essentially are the season tickets for that year, and currently include 6 events. (3 days of F1, and 3 days of V8 Supercars) There was no mention of MotoGP from him, which I found odd. Also, if you hold a PSL, then you are obligated to buy the season tickets or otherwise sell off your PSL.

Seat options 1-3 are available for all of the Grandstands. Option 4 is only on the main grandstand as I understand it. If you choose option 1, you will only get the VIP lounge and restaurant if you pick the main grandstand. All of the PSL's include parking.

When I asked about General Admission, his response was that you would be able to buy tickets but there wouldn't be any seating left after the PSL. Personally, I think this answer is purely speculative in order to drive sales of PSL's.
      03-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
A few things, no I didn't have to buy on the spot. Though they do ask you to. There is at least over a month of time to figure out what you'd like to do. However, he did say that there are currently 15,000 entrants and that only 2,000 would get the Club Seat PSL. The prices that he mentioned to me is as follows.

1. Club Seating: $5,000 + $1,250 per year. (Total of $23,750 for 15 years)
2. Mezzanine: $3,500 + $1,000 per year. (Total of $18,500 for 15 years)
3. Lower Seating: $2,500 + $775 per year. (Total of $14,125 for 15 years)
4. Side Bleachers: $1,500 + $500 per year. (Total of $9,000 for 15 years)

The per year costs essentially are the season tickets for that year, and currently include 6 events. (3 days of F1, and 3 days of V8 Supercars) There was no mention of MotoGP from him, which I found odd. Also, if you hold a PSL, then you are obligated to buy the season tickets or otherwise sell off your PSL.

Seat options 1-3 are available for all of the Grandstands. Option 4 is only on the main grandstand as I understand it. If you choose option 1, you will only get the VIP lounge and restaurant if you pick the main grandstand. All of the PSL's include parking.

When I asked about General Admission, his response was that you would be able to buy tickets but there wouldn't be any seating left after the PSL. Personally, I think this answer is purely speculative in order to drive sales of PSL's.
My understanding is that event tickets have to be bought separately. This would be consistent with other setups like what they are offering.
      03-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
My understanding is that event tickets have to be bought separately. This would be consistent with other setups like what they are offering.
They may be separate, but you are still obligated to buy them. You can't skip a year. Po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe. (This comes from me asking if I could choose not to buy one year if I had conflicts. The direct answer was 'no'.)
      03-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
JB991
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 Tacoma, 15 Accord, 16 GT3

That's a bit pricey IMO. Anxious to see what they'll charge on things like StubHub to buy these tickets in the grandstands. Looks like I'll be one of the general entrance types, and save my cash for the races overseas. Seems they're cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
They may be separate, but you are still obligated to buy them. You can't skip a year. Po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe. (This comes from me asking if I could choose not to buy one year if I had conflicts. The direct answer was 'no'.)
Understand you are obligated to buy them, your post implied that the "per-year" costs represented the the cost of those tickets. They strike me as far too low for those events unless there is some bundled deal (which F1 doesn't do) - did they provide those per-year event ticket costs?
      03-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Understand you are obligated to buy them, your post implied that the "per-year" costs represented the the cost of those tickets. They strike me as far too low for those events unless there is some bundled deal (which F1 doesn't do) - did they provide those per-year event ticket costs?
It's been a few days now since I talked with them, but I'm still fairly certain that the annual costs are in-fact the season tickets per year. As no other costs were mentioned at all during the conversation. I don't think it would make any sense to make you pay an annual fee just for the right to buy the annual season tickets. That is what the up front PSL charge is for.
      03-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
Limey
EXC MIII
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Anyone else get the call yet? I still haven't heard anything. Starting to wonder if I ever will.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I received a new mailing about it the other day. They may just be working through their list.
      03-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
whoosh
Higher than you
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:
Not questioning what you were told, but this is a crock. The whole point of PSL is to give the holders first crack at the tickets. The track can sell them on the open market if the PSL holder declines by a certain date. At least this is how it worked at Texas Motor Speedway back in the day when we lived nearby.

For these rates, I'll take my chances with StubHub.

Current: '15 M235iX | '15 Macan S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoosh View Post
Not questioning what you were told, but this is a crock. The whole point of PSL is to give the holders first crack at the tickets. The track can sell them on the open market if the PSL holder declines by a certain date. At least this is how it worked at Texas Motor Speedway back in the day when we lived nearby.

For these rates, I'll take my chances with StubHub.
You are not alone. This, coupled with how overall questionable the entire race is. Management switching in and out. Now Hellmund is out and he is suing McCombs over rights to the entire race, stating grounds of a missed opportunity when he was offered a position at the NJ race but declined because he was attached to Austin.

Plus, the lack of infrastructure improvement and everything. It's just messy. And while I like the idea of V8 supercars, I doubt I would go to a race for it. So it's just all a bunch of wasted money.

To be honest, I really just want an opportunity for a track day at the track.
      03-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
whoosh
Higher than you
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Yes, the reality of this race actually happening is a big question mark for me as well. My wife revealed to me yesterday that she really wants to see Schumi race, and we figured out that the only sure-fire way to make this happen is to go to Montreal this year.

If you are willing to get your car dirty, you could have a track day ala Coulthard.

Current: '15 M235iX | '15 Macan S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoosh View Post
If you are willing to get your car dirty, you could have a track day ala Coulthard.