2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Woeful Navigation on new 5-Series
View Poll Results: Do you consider BMW Navigation good value?
Yes, I like it and its worth the price 24 30.77%
Yes, I like it, but it very overpriced. 26 33.33%
No, its poor value and costs 5x more than its worth 17 21.79%
No, its exceptionally poor value and not worth more £200 5 6.41%
No, its exceptionally poor value and barely worth anything 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

07-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #23
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
Great post by arnsbrae above.

I've been part of numerous focus/study groups in the US over the years. The most recent was an online study which had people do blog entries, take photos/videos, and demonstrate technical savvy.

The previous one was an in-person study for the new Nissan Skyline/Infiniti G37.

Both have deep technical implications. BMW is "behind" the technology leaders, but quite frankly, do you want a 5-series or A6 saloon interior(s) to look like the Tesla Model S? I don't.

Apple's "Eyes Free" mode (via hardware button) + MOG integration (see links below) are a great start.

1. http://articles.businessinsider.com/...-ipod-car-yelp
2. http://www.businessinsider.com/bmw-m...ration-2011-10
Good points. Actually, when you think about it - Siri probably makes more sense in a car than it does just on the phone itself...
      07-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Good points. Actually, when you think about it - Siri probably makes more sense in a car than it does just on the phone itself...
Siri technically already works for voice dial.

I have an iPhone 4 (not 4S) and holding down button, I can voice dial via BMW microphone.

Doesn't work so great while driving/background noise (on a July 2010 build) but it works somewhat. I've heard the speaker and noise-cancellation have been improved since.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #25
BDV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F11 525D

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthBomber View Post
The navigation "intelligence" is apalling as follows:-

Two sides of a triangle routing nearly everywhere I go.
Maybe this helps seeing a little more navigation "intelligence": I have a shortcut key assigned to toggle the map display between the default color and the grayscale/traffic one. This grayscale/traffic colors both replace the triangles with colored lines (depending on the estimated inconvenience) plus it removes some of the traffic icons. Overall the map is a lot cleaner when there is a lot of traffic/inconvenience around... :-)

Here's what it looked like yesterday morning in color and grayscale.
Hope it helps (a little)...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDV View Post
Maybe this helps seeing a little more navigation "intelligence": I have a shortcut key assigned to toggle the map display between the default color and the grayscale/traffic one. This grayscale/traffic colors both replace the triangles with colored lines (depending on the estimated inconvenience) plus it removes some of the traffic icons. Overall the map is a lot cleaner when there is a lot of traffic/inconvenience around... :-)

Here's what it looked like yesterday morning in color and grayscale.
Hope it helps (a little)...
I actually keep the greyscale/north view on the right (zoomed out to 5 or 10 miles), and the 3D view in the main window.

This provides the best of both worlds.

BMW CCA # 493835
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

The problem is that this is a fairly international board, and it seems that the users in the US, which use TeleAtlas for it's maps, have much poorer luck than those in other parts of the world.

I would say that overall, absent map routing, the nav is "decent". Not stellar, but pretty decent. I have a list of faults that I have found in 18 months of driving the car, most are fairly minor such as:

* Colors of certain neighborhoods are gray on gray. Hard to see roads.
* No "pop up" directions in main screen unless it is running split screen.
* "Directional" arrow that will NOT disappear once you reach your destination.

Etc.

However, it is the map / database / routing algorithm that really sucks.

* Taking long, long way out of the way to get places.
* Difficultly entering addresses.
* Footage to turn usually late

The routing algorithm sucks. Badly.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #28
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Some examples of poor mapping:

More nav dumbassery on the ride home. This nav really doesn't like 270....

How the Nav wanted me to go to Chipotle..

The right way to go. 1 Mile shorter.

No traffic.

No construction.

Dynamic guidance was off.

Freaking stupid Nav.

More ass-hattery from today.

This is the Nav's preferred route. It's 215 miles. Lots of interstates. But 95 gets traffic, so I don't take it. Still, I'm not upset at the nav for choosing this way as it's first choice.

How I normally go (204 miles). Granted, Rt. 15, part of the route, isn't an interstate, and it has 55 MPH sections. So most Nav systems don't pick it. My Acura's doest. However, it's fast and clear of traffic so it works better for me. Also, Google maps chooses this as it's first choice. But, get this, it wasn't even an option on alternate routes on the nav!!!

So, what genius routes does the nav suggest?

This stupid one. It ignores Rt. 15 completely and sends me way the hell West?!?!? Why, why, why? By the way, it's 266 miles, almost 60 more miles than my route?!?!?

Now, this is the absolute stupidest route. Not only is it the longest, but it has me actually turning around, go back NORTH, and go all the way the hell around!?!?!?! It's also 269 miles!

Ugh, hate this freaking system.

And this totally dumb-ass move?!?!?!

I mean, seriously? What is this?

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #29
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Lol - I shouldn't laugh but that last one looks like Mr Bean programmed it!

Bottom line is the US mapping seems dodgy. My wife can find her way round better than that.

How can any BMW CA look you in the eye when you show him that?!
      07-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #30
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I agree that the above is rubbish. However, my car seems to "learn" better than my Acura MDX. We use a city street (in Atlanta) which arguably goes through the ghetto. MDX wants to go through the real ghetto, but we prefer the other ghetto.

In any case, the Acura system doesn't like it because it has a low speed limit and one lane of traffic. "35MPH speed limit" = "55MPH traffic flow" - *and* I saw someone pass one of two LIDAR/traffic patrol units (out of ~1000 squad cars) cop doing that speed and he didn't blink.

So in summary, the BMW system now uses this route. Our Acura system refuses and keeps requesting a turn-around until you've gone way deep.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #31
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

The BMW iDrive is the most frustrating Navigation system I've ever used. I had Navi on my '04 Acura TSX, '07 Acura TL, '07 350Z, '08 Infiniti G35, '09 Infiniti FX35. Those were very easy to use Sat Nav, compared to the BMW iDrive. It takes way too long to input an address, compared to my other vehicles that I had or Garmin/Droid Phone. Once you have the exact address in though, it works flawlessly.

I don't like the BMW Navi, but bought the Navi for the car's resale value and the other technology that's bundled with it. Plus, it looks classy when a luxury car has a nice big screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #32
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Some examples of poor mapping:

More nav dumbassery on the ride home. This nav really doesn't like 270....

How the Nav wanted me to go to Chipotle..
Wow, that last one is hilarious, because its not like that section of 270 was built in the last decade or something...

I posted previously how the algorithm really sucks. Next time try going on canal drive out of Georgetown. The nav will make you drive off the road or turn into steep hills.

BTW, that is my Chipotle of choice
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
skiajl6297
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Wow, that last one is hilarious, because its not like that section of 270 was built in the last decade or something...

I posted previously how the algorithm really sucks. Next time try going on canal drive out of Georgetown. The nav will make you drive off the road or turn into steep hills.

BTW, that is my Chipotle of choice
You and me both! I drive Canal all the time and I agree - I think the GPS views Canal as an off-limits road! I come from GTown and it literally tries to turn me back to make a run into VA! When coming into the city it tries to dump me right into the canal! Lovely.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #34
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

My old Tom Tom XL unit was not a bit better than Navi Pro in my F11...on the contrary, I can't even remember how many times the Tom Tom showed a completely incorrect route or guided me way off (road).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #35
StealthBomber
Rep
Drives: 530d F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
As far as I know Tom Tom wont work with my HUD. I like my sat nav, no troubles with it at all. And it's awesome with the HUD. Having a tomtom sit on the dash is OK in a 10 year old Skoda, but not in a 2012 BMW.
Which is EXACTLY why I bought one, but I really expected it to actually work as well as a TomTom, not just look better.

I can add to some moans - so slow at updating, it announced I should turn right about 100 yards after I had made a right and was turning left. Lucky I knew where I was going. (I had in on to test what rubbish it was telling me so I can feed back to BMW).

I drove a non-pro regular version and that seemed better, more responsive.

I am contemplating what to do with BMW.

The screen is nicer than the regular version.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
StealthBomber
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
The problem with the poll is that it covers the issue of price. However on the 550 the nav is standard so I can't really complain about the price.
I had not realised it was included in some markets. If it had not cost me anything, I would not complain - I'd still be unimpressed. I am sure you can see if you paid $3000 you might be a little peeved.

Which may be where I want BMW to go with this - give me a refund on the price and I'll live with it (I'll even pay for the voice control that comes with it as that is OK, not brilliant, but way safer than dialling the phone). I've already bought a new TomTom since getting the car just to keep in the glove box for when I really need to get somewhere new - they owe me something.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #37
StealthBomber
Rep

[QUOTE=lindros2;12260472]Really? TomTom engine?

I think it looks cheap and amateur - even in its latest guise. Maybe on a Kia or Toyota (the latter offers TomTom as an option on some cars), but not on a BMW.
QUOTE]

Yes engine - the map view is the bodywork and the paint, not the engine. The engine is the power under the hood that makes the TomTom better at doing the basic function of taking the best route and announcing in good time etc.

My point, if not clear, was to work like a TomTom, not to look like one, although I don't mind the look personally.

Be clear, no nav is perfect, including TT - I am no fan boy.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

Entering addresses is a tedious task.

I catch myself using my Galaxy S3
Just say the address and bam, in a split second it recognized where I wanted to go and starts. BMW should incorporate this system, or create an app that allows the car screen to be the phone screen.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #39
2k15f30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

I use my BMW app to send the address to my vehicle. I have the newest version of the nav and I had the version you are all discussing here. I agree the old system sucks pretty bad, the new one improves upon graphics but the GUI to input data is lacking big time. Come on Siri!!!
Appreciate 0