2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2012 5 Series Intro

12-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
kjando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i

Smile 2012 5 Series Intro

I was toying with the idea of buying a F10 early next year. However, my 2004 545i with the sports package is a great ride and I am thinking of waiting until the 2012 model comes out. Any idea as to when the 2012s will be available?
I would imagine that it would be in the Sept 2011 time frame. Also what changes can one expect in the 2012 5 series?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
kube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjando View Post
I was toying with the idea of buying a F10 early next year. However, my 2004 545i with the sports package is a great ride and I am thinking of waiting until the 2012 model comes out. Any idea as to when the 2012s will be available?
I would imagine that it would be in the Sept 2011 time frame. Also what changes can one expect in the 2012 5 series?
I've heard from my dealer that the 2012 model will have very few changes (if any). Model is getting rave reviews, and unless there's some small engineering tweaks that didn't make the 2011 model that nothing significant will change -- aside from maybe $$$ -- supply vs. demand -- car has been well received and that could warrant a slight increase without offering much more.

But it's all speculation and anyone's guess would be just that right now.

Not sure if you order to spec or purchase off the lot, but if you're buying off the lot or from inventory, a purchase the last week of December before year-end can get you some nice discounts. Any month- or quarter-end deals are always sweet. Just got a new Sienna for my wife and the dealer kicked in an additional $1,000 if we signed and accepted delivery by (on) 11/30. And that was already after an offer below the Edmunds TMV. I'm sure a hungry BMW dealership would do the same between Christmas and New Year's.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
EvolutionTheory
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

I'm also interested in when the 2012's will be available for spec.
I think I'm going to wait for a 2012 just to ensure any minor perfection adjustments to the F10 are taken care of instead of picking up a 2011 and regretting I didn't wait after people come on here discussing the fixes or upgraded tech the 2012 may have.

I saw some shots of the 2013 3 Series and it does include auto stop/start and a slightly more modern instrument panel. I've heard the 2011 may get a refresh and include stop/start as well but I'd prefer to pick up the second year production at least of a brand new model. These cars are getting great reviews but if I'm spending near $90k USD with all options I want it to be as perfect as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
kjando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i

Kube,

Thanks for your reply. I came to a similar conclusion that I could probably get a great "deal" from the local dealership in December for a "off the lot" or dealer trade inventory. Unfortunately, I need to order a "spec" model in order to get the equipment that I would like. Also I tend to agree with the dealer that any change between the 2011 and 2012 will be minor. I find that BMW, Audi and Mercedes are slow in inserting design changes in comparison to the Japanese and Korean brands. The German car manufacturers seem to make minor changes in 2 to 3 year cycles and major changes, i.e. in 6 to 7 year cycles in comparison to say an Infiniti that seems to have a new redesigned car with major changes in 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjando View Post
I find that BMW, Audi and Mercedes are slow in inserting design changes in comparison to the Japanese and Korean brands.
I am really pleased to see that the word "slow" is qualified in terms of comparison to Japanese / Korean vendors.

By the same qualification, my $0.02 is that other vendors release major design changes far too "quickly" ... it does not give me any faith that they are committed to their designs and engineering, but pandering to "gee whizz, a new model" marketing approach.
Appreciate 0