2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes OEM Shock and Strut Longevity With Aftermarket Springs

07-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
DbevBluF10
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Msport

OEM Shock and Strut Longevity With Aftermarket Springs

Hi All,

I'm looking into getting aftermarkets springs for my 2011 550i with 54K miles on it. I was wondering if anyone has run into issues with the integrity of the oem shocks and struts over the years of continued use. Reason why I am asking is because I originally put H&R springs on my E39 at around 50K miles and it seemed that overtime (2 to 3 years) the shocks and struts started to deteriorate thus needing to go with Bilstein's. Given that I have the M-Sport package with EDC and ARS suspension should I be concerned with the longevity while on H&R's or even ACS springs?

Thanks in advance...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Nitrous Garage
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i

It does not matter what brand springs you go with as all will make your OEM struts age faster due to the difference in spring rates.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
DbevBluF10
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Garage View Post
It does not matter what brand springs you go with as all will make your OEM struts age faster due to the difference in spring rates.
Thanks Eric. So I guess I either take a chance and see how long the shocks and struts hold up with H&R's or go with a full coilover system. I just like cars ability to manage the suspension dampening inherently and don't want to be concerned with finding the best suitable settings for dampening, height adjustments and EDC delete kits. I believe KW is the only system that has EDC delete correct? Call me lazy...lol
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
Nitrous Garage
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbevBluF10 View Post
Thanks Eric. So I guess I either take a chance and see how long the shocks and struts hold up with H&R's or go with a full coilover system. I just like cars ability to manage the suspension dampening inherently and don't want to be concerned with finding the best suitable settings for dampening, height adjustments and EDC delete kits. I believe KW is the only system that has EDC delete correct? Call me lazy...lol
Yes, I believe KW is the only one. Even if you install springs you will still get 30-40k more miles on your struts so I saw go with the springs for now and later go with coilovers
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbevBluF10 View Post
You can order the EDC delete unit separately, so you're not limited to KW coilovers.

Last edited by SonicEndeavor; 07-09-2014 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0