2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Got Rear-ended

01-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
jeutaryo
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i

Got Rear-ended

Hi,

I have a 2013 BMW 528i. Two night ago, I was rear-ended by a 3 series. The driver admitted fault and the police was also there to make a report. Her car was quite damaged until it could not be started. My car has its rear bumper damaged, parking sensors don't work, and a restraint system warning. Her insurance (geico) already called me and set up an appointment to look at the car.

My question is, how do you usually handle the insurance. Do they deal with the body shop directly or do they pay me in advance? Any tips would be helpful as this is my first time handling something like this.

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeutaryo View Post
Hi,

I have a 2013 BMW 528i. Two night ago, I was rear-ended by a 3 series. The driver admitted fault and the police was also there to make a report. Her car was quite damaged until it could not be started. My car has its rear bumper damaged, parking sensors don't work, and a restraint system warning. Her insurance (geico) already called me and set up an appointment to look at the car.

My question is, how do you usually handle the insurance. Do they deal with the body shop directly or do they pay me in advance? Any tips would be helpful as this is my first time handling something like this.

Many thanks!
Depends on type of coverage you have.
Also it might be different for your state, but this is how it usually works.

You take the car to the shop you feel is right for the job (BMW collision center for example), they estimate the cost of repairs. Your insurance sends dedicated person to check and approve the work/cost quoted. Immediately after the accident and you making a claim they should advise you to get a rental (again depending on type of coverage you have). After the repairs are done, they pay the shop (you never really see any money yourself) then deal with her insurance company to compensate them for total amount of work done plus the cost of rental, no deductible should be applicable in these cases.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Dont take a check from the insurance company! Have them deal directly with the body shop of your choice and pay directly
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #4
jeutaryo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Depends on type of coverage you have.
Also it might be different for your state, but this is how it usually works.

You take the car to the shop you feel is right for the job (BMW collision center for example), they estimate the cost of repairs. Your insurance sends dedicated person to check and approve the work/cost quoted. Immediately after the accident and you making a claim they should advise you to get a rental (again depending on type of coverage you have). After the repairs are done, they pay the shop (you never really see any money yourself) then deal with her insurance company to compensate them for total amount of work done plus the cost of rental, no deductible should be applicable in these cases.
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, I did not have collision insurance when this happened, so I have to deal with her insurance company directly. Does Geico do OEM parts? And are they usually willing to do their inspection on their list of body shops or will they be able to do it at my selected place?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am totally in the dark and need lots of researching to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:41 AM   #5
jeutaryo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Dont take a check from the insurance company! Have them deal directly with the body shop of your choice and pay directly
If they are going to give me a check, can I decline and ask them to deal directly with the body shop?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:46 AM   #6
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I am currently dealing with a similar situation myself.

Since the other person is at fault, you can take your car to any body shop that you want to.

My car is going into Metro Auto Rebuild which is where BMW Seattle gets their cars repaired. Metro is clearly a BMW Certified shop and will only use OEM parts.

I am having the body shop directly deal with the other person's insurance.

GL with repairs and let me know if you have any questions.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
jeutaryo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
I am currently dealing with a similar situation myself.

Since the other person is at fault, you can take your car to any body shop that you want to.

My car is going into Metro Auto Rebuild which is where BMW Seattle gets their cars repaired. Metro is clearly a BMW Certified shop and will only use OEM parts.

I am having the body shop directly deal with the other person's insurance.

GL with repairs and let me know if you have any questions.
Yeah, I'm planning to take it to Metro also. Did you have the inspector check the car at Metro Auto Rebuild, or their own location? And what is the other person's insurance, are they willing to use OEM parts for the repair? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Had to deal with a similar situation with my 335 a few years back. Have them deal directly with the body shop, and make sure you pick a reputable one that won't substitute parts. Every time my body shop tried to get approval for parts, the other insurance company would call and say "well we'd prefer you found pre-owned / off brand parts to save money". My body shop wasnt going for it, you should always be able to get OEM parts brand new

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I'm planning to take it to Metro also. Did you have the inspector check the car at Metro Auto Rebuild, or their own location? And what is the other person's insurance, are they willing to use OEM parts for the repair? Thanks!
In my case their insurance company is all state. They do their inspection via photo app.

At the end of the day, I did not give All State any options. I told them that my car is going to Metro with their claim number and if they have any problems they can settle everything directly with the body shop. They were completely ok with it. I am actually pretty impressed with All State to be honest.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
Drez1985
Rep
Drives: 550i

On subject of getting rear ended. Was wondering if you guys can give me advice.
I got rear ended couple weeks ago, cops came did report. Turns out the Progressive insurance the guy gave to police is expired, not active. I also have progressive. The insurance company been jerking me for 2 weeks saying they can't get ahold of the driver that hit me and still waiting for police report. They're telling to use my policy and pay deductible, I think it's bs. Any advice on how to proceed. Sorry for long post. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
If you need something fixed, I would go ahead and use your own policy. Minor fender bender is not going to jack up your rates. The insurance company will go through subrogation to recoup money with another insurance co. If it's the same company, whatever "demerits" they want to apply to the at faults insured, they will. If the other driver does not have insurance, then that's a traffic infraction (they should be issued a ticket) as well as your insurance will chalk it up to uninsured motorist claim. You can go to small claims court to sue for deductible.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      01-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #12
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
I can't stress enough how important it is to work with a BMW certified collision center. Luckily, one was close to me and everything was replaced with Original BMW Parts/ Accessories. Got the car back after a week and a half too. Best of luck to you and fight that insurance company to get you a rental that is equivalent to the 5 series you are driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #13
vlam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi

For accidents that I am not at fault, I always file a claim with the other driver's insurance. I still make a call to my insurance company (Geico) and report the accident but ask them not to file a claim yet.

There is a locally family owned body shop that I got to. They take care of everything for me (even scheduling for me to have to car rental). No out of pocket expense for me and I also let the pro deal with the adjuster. I just signed the check that is given to the body shop when I am satisfy with the work.

Always do this.. take lots of pictures.. I don't bother to write anything down anymore. Get other driver license, registration and insurance info and take pictures of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #14
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks!
They will handle everything for you. If all you might have to do is turn the car over to them when they declare it "totaled". The only issue you will have is a vehicle to drive in the mean-time. Not sure how your insurance works but it took at least a week for the check to arrive in the mail after they said "shipped".
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

any updates on this... pictures?