2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 550i v. 550xi

02-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
hercesq71
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Hockenheim

F10 550i v. 550xi

First, we should go into business together. Every car I have ever owned has been customized to look just like that. Black is where it's at, baby!!

Secondly, I have my new F10 550xi on order for Euro Delivery (I am in the states). i am, of course, thinking to do what you did. Question is how did you get rid of the chrome on the door handles??

Last, just curious what everyone's opinion is on 550i vs. 550xi. I know it has been explored in another forum, but I didn't read anything that pulled me in either direction. I have always had RWD and have not ventured into AWD yet. I don't care about snow, bc I just won't drive the car when it snows. But I have heard AWD gives you more traction to the ground, more pull, and hence, more speed. This all despite the fact that it weighs more.

They also say handling is improved on cornering and in rain because all four wheels are pulling as opposed to two.

What does everyone think? I'm all about speed and handling, that's all. Want what will be best for that.

Thanks, everyone!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

There is a reason why AWD isnt on any winning racing teams.

If your concerned about traction in poor road conditions get AWD. If your concerned about your performance times stick with RWD.
      02-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post

If your concerned about traction in poor road conditions get AWD. If your concerned about your performance times stick with RWD.
I believe that reason is that it's banned because it's too much of an advantage
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Exactamundo. RWD for all out performance. For the most part you won't be able to tell unless you're on a track. There are +/- to both configurations. The Xdrive model uses hydraulic steering and is heavier. So you'll get slightly less mileage and you won't have the self parking feature if you go for the automatic. On a dry track the 550i will be faster, on a wet one the X-Drive will probably win out, but we're splitting hairs here. Then of course you have to ask yourself if you want the active steering option, which is only available in the RWD model.
      02-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
Then of course you have to ask yourself if you want the active steering option, which is only available in the RWD model.
My reasons for not choosing xdrive on my 550i.
1. Cant get IAS which I love at high speeds!!!
2. xdrive is a lot of weight and turns slowing times. (unless I happen to be racing in a blizzard)
3. Doesn't come with the performance summer tires
4. I dont live in an environment that calls for AWD. We get some snow here and there but the RWD with good winters is better (and more fun honestly). If I lived in a snow belt which varying elevations I would be an AWD that excels in winter driving. I find if you try to make something do too much then it doesn't do anything the best.

The only benefit of xdrive I can think of is if I am driving in bad weather and the car loses traction in rain or snow.

Again, this is my reasons, everyone is different. Common misconception is that AWD will make your car handle better, it wont, it just eliminates loss of traction. As Gato pointed out, in dry conditions for a skilled driver its actually a hinderence.

If you know of any others please post as I did struggle on my decision whether to get xdrive. I made a list of reasons for and against and I came up with those 5, 4 against xdrive and 1 for it.
      02-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW X5

The x-drive is reported to be .2 faster 0-60 due to torque delivery. Steering feel is closer to Bmw traditional feel IMO. Have not drive an F10 with IAS.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
The x-drive is reported to be .2 faster 0-60 due to torque delivery. Steering feel is closer to Bmw traditional feel IMO. Have not drive an F10 with IAS.
Post the link for the report, that would be contrary to all discussion. Fact is its adds a lot of weight, I have been told 200lbs but I will admit I dont know for sure.

The IAS has two benefits, the one I am referring to is how it tracks well on very high speed sloping turns, it requires much less turn of the steering wheel which at sustained speeds above 120 is very nice. I can tell you even today I still struggle with the decision to add xdrive and not to. It may not be too late but I have yet to see positive discussion outside traction in bad weather for its benefit.

I have also been told the xdrive sits higher off the ground. Look, xdrive cant be the answer to everything. It cant add weight add height add M+S tires but perform better in bad weather and .2 sec faster 0-60!!! Thats a lot .2 when your talking 4.9 and lower to begin with.
      02-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think the max performance set up would be 550i, Sport, DHP, IAS, manual gearbox (this may be a push with the auto in terms of speed, but not in terms of control).
OR
Wait for new M5.
      02-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I think the max performance set up would be 550i, Sport, DHP, IAS, manual gearbox (this may be a push with the auto in terms of speed, but not in terms of control).
OR
Wait for new M5.
I AGREE! When he mentioned .2 seconds faster I was like that goes against all conventional thought. As for the manual, the 8spd auto by ZF is a monster, it would require a very skilled driver to match its performance with a manual. Control I agree with, although I am told the paddles are better then a stick but I cant seem to get used to them yet.

IAS is amazing and doesnt get the recognition it should because 90% of the owners on this forum drive in situations that are constantly speed controlled. I spend almost all of my mileage unrestricted on the autobahn and the IAS is absolutely incredible bit of technology.

I am with you on the new M5 but probably going to be 2-3 years before we see it, about time I will be ready to trade up!
      02-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
@delvek
The 8 speed is amazing, in it's flexibility. However, when driving aggressively, I can't remember what gear I'm in and they're spaced so closely together that I find myself jumping 2 gears to get what I want. Which ultimately leads me to just leaving it in auto and letting it decide for me.
      02-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Post the link for the report, that would be contrary to all discussion. Fact is its adds a lot of weight, I have been told 200lbs but I will admit I dont know for sure.

The IAS has two benefits, the one I am referring to is how it tracks well on very high speed sloping turns, it requires much less turn of the steering wheel which at sustained speeds above 120 is very nice. I can tell you even today I still struggle with the decision to add xdrive and not to. It may not be too late but I have yet to see positive discussion outside traction in bad weather for its benefit.

I have also been told the xdrive sits higher off the ground. Look, xdrive cant be the answer to everything. It cant add weight add height add M+S tires but perform better in bad weather and .2 sec faster 0-60!!! Thats a lot .2 when your talking 4.9 and lower to begin with.

I need to change "reported" to "purportedly". This same discussion has been ongoing over at bimmerfest for awhile. I have not found actual test times for the xi. Below is a link to just one of the discussions where the 7 series x drive was test as faster than the rwd 7 with conjecture that the 5 would be similar.

http://www.forums.bimmerfest.com/sho....php?p=5391522

I continue to check the BMW site to see if they will post the 0-60's on the F10, but nothing yet. Not sure why. The 550 rwd has been test by Road and Track and Motortrend. I am still looking for a tested run.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

For me the xi steering was the better of the two, but again did not drive the IAS rwd. And by better, I felt it was more planted and felt connected like my x5. Maybe that is just bias coming from an all wheel drive vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

It saddens me to think your X5 feels better planted and connected then my 550i with all the goodies. Despite I dont feel that is accurate, still painful to read.

I would be shocked if the xdrive was faster, unless the race was in the snow (not rain). The numbers reported by C&D and MT are the exact numbers BMW reports, which by all accounts are VERY conservative.

The discussion you link basically has one guy theorizes (to be kind) on the possibility it could be faster off the line only. I can tell you one thing, I had wheel slip ONCE in very wet condition off the line, otherwise the slabs of rubber on the rear provide incredible traction, second and probably more important, most fast driving (and track driving) has only one take off, the rest of the drive is from variable speeds and without a doubt from 50mph the 550i will haul arse up to 130mph much quicker then the xdrive. Coupled in with the fact that you have summer performance tires standard and IAS!
      02-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

Weight difference between ix and rwd, both with autos is 143 lbs. per BMW website. With a manual in the rwd difference is 176 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Its not just the weight difference, many factors. Look, its okay to buy an xdrive, but if your buying it for improved performance reasons then you made a poor mistake no matter how much someone tries to frame it. If you bought an xdrive because you live in a place that gets a lot of snow and wintery driving, then great! Understand though that there is a difference between the two and the reasons why folks should by them.
      02-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #16
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It saddens me to think your X5 feels better planted and connected then my 550i with all the goodies. Despite I dont feel that is accurate, still painful to read.

I would be shocked if the xdrive was faster, unless the race was in the snow (not rain). The numbers reported by C&D and MT are the exact numbers BMW reports, which by all accounts are VERY conservative.

The discussion you link basically has one guy theorizes (to be kind) on the possibility it could be faster off the line only. I can tell you one thing, I had wheel slip ONCE in very wet condition off the line, otherwise the slabs of rubber on the rear provide incredible traction, second and probably more important, most fast driving (and track driving) has only one take off, the rest of the drive is from variable speeds and without a doubt from 50mph the 550i will haul arse up to 130mph much quicker then the xdrive. Coupled in with the fact that you have summer performance tires standard and IAS!
There are other threads discussing this comparison, with none of them having a tested time on the ix, so the discussion continues.

I am not attempting to mount an argument, as I would like to see some definitive testing myself as it seems that it should not be faster. As far as the X5 comment, this is my opinion as to which feels better (to me), between the rwd F10 and the xi, not that the x5 drives better or is more planted than the rwd F10, so cheer up! I would take either one over an X5 in a heartbeat and never look back.

When you say exact numbers "that BMW reports", where do they report on the F10 and do they have something on the ix?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #17
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Its not just the weight difference, many factors. Look, its okay to buy an xdrive, but if your buying it for improved performance reasons then you made a poor mistake no matter how much someone tries to frame it. If you bought an xdrive because you live in a place that gets a lot of snow and wintery driving, then great! Understand though that there is a difference between the two and the reasons why folks should by them.
I have not bought an F10 (yet), but x-drive was the way I was going due to climate. I understand your points and am not disputing them. I would like to see some numbers on the ix 0-60 just to know.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
There are other threads discussing this comparison, with none of them having a tested time on the ix, so the discussion continues.
This is a discussion that is constantly raised by xi owners to try and justify their decision to buy an xi on a performance car. Fact is, there is no need to seek justification through 0-60 times since the xi was bought for your winter driving.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325034

As for the times posted, BMW has put out this information showing 0-60 in 5.0 seconds and they are the same figures used by reviewers to this date. I believe BMW requires them to regurgitate. Most folks who have owned previous 550's and M series who drive the 550i feel the real time is closer to 4.6 to 4.8, including myself.
      02-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
@delvek
The 8 speed is amazing, in it's flexibility. However, when driving aggressively, I can't remember what gear I'm in and they're spaced so closely together that I find myself jumping 2 gears to get what I want. Which ultimately leads me to just leaving it in auto and letting it decide for me.
Hey Gato, your right. I have ran the 550i hard in sport+ mode and the ZF sport auto is incredible JUST DONT TOUCH THE PADDLES! lol This transmission is set up with 500hp+ cars so it can handle every bit of the 407hp and it does. Despite how much I love the performance of the 550 including the sport auto I have yet to feel comfortable effectively using the paddles.

The manual is another sad story of technology. The old reasons to get the manual dont exist other then truly feeling more in control which I very much respect as a reason to buy, but wasnt enough for me. The mpg (when seeking such a thing in the 550) is equal or better in the 8spd auto and you have to be damn good driver to consistently be able to shift to match the shift points of the 8spd sport auto.
      02-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #20
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I have not bought an F10 (yet), but x-drive was the way I was going due to climate. I understand your points and am not disputing them. I would like to see some numbers on the ix 0-60 just to know.
Of course this is just my opinions, but being from NY myself I know that upstate (depending on the area) can have some serious snow. If the 550 is going to be a daily driver (mine is not) I would seriously consider the xdrive, even more so in a world that is governed at 65mph.

Thanks for the discussion, much better then watching folks brag about getting 50mpg on the motorway!
      02-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #21
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, the performance is more of what is interesting to me as the mpg is not a significant concern. I see your is carbon black as that is likely what I will get with a black interior. What interior and trim did you get? I checked a few of your threads and did not find any photos?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #22
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Ah, my first 550i I sold back to my dealer here in Germany for reasons I wont go into. I preordered it and got it June 2010 when the F10 was released. My first was 550i black sapphire with black leather. I have some nice photos but never bothered to post.

My new 550i is build week 13, late march, and I should get it around the 1st week in April. This one I got in Carbon Black with black leather. I got the hexagon aluminum trim, it truly is special and fits very well with the Msport and performance image. I will take pictures for you when I get the car in about 5 weeks or so.

The Carbon Black is truly a special color in my opinion and is exclusive so I say go for it. I have seen its almost equivalent in person Jerez Black on a new M3 and its gorgeous as well as some owners photos.