2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Approved used bodywork standards

10-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
Frankie810
Rep
Drives: LCI 530d M sport

Hi all, I'm new to the 5 series having just moved up from MY59 320d msport to a MY63 530d msport last Friday. The 530 was an approved used with only 16k and finished in sophisto grey with sport plus package and pro nav.
When I first seen the car it had just been drove from croydon to Durham so had a bit of road grime on but still look very tidy. Now part of the deal was as it had oyster leather and I've got two kids, that they would put the full guardX treatment on to protect the interior. I wasn't bothered about the paint protection as I've heard it's poor but as it was for free i though why not but asked for assurance that the car would be properly prepped before application (you'd think was a given) to which they said of course our technicians are highly trained! So day of pick up and it's sunny but my cars just in the shade and it looks gleaming so I'm happy. The next day as it's sunny again I decide to walk around and just stare at it and found about 10 surface scratches, the left corners of both the front and rear bumpers look like they been resprayed to a satin finish, the rear passenger door has clouding in the lacour where someone's tried and failed to remove a scratch and then it looks like someone's tried to run a machine polisher down the body line then hold it under the passenger mirror. Gutted to say the least. Took the car straight to a local detailer who said on top of the issues above the paint felt like a mountain range and doubted weather the car had ever been polish, ever. So I phoned and complained and the dealer is picking the car up tomorrow to have a look at it?
Sorry for such a long winding first post but can someone tell me if I'm Being over critical or should a 24 grand car with 16k on the clock and from a main dealer be in this condition?
Ps before anyone asks how I didn't see this when I picked it up.... I was like an excited kid, and I did take the car back for the salesman to look at and when it's parked in the shade it still looks good and they could get it into the body shop to inspect it properly.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

No you're not being over critical it should not have any satin surfaces or hazing on the paintwork. Mines a lot older and is perfect, it had some swirls but recently had it moped and sealed, it is now almost as good as new. Don't accept it if they can't fix it...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:44 AM   #3
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

IMO you are not being overcritical.
I once had a deposit down on a BMW AUC F10 only for them to ding it in their compound before I was to pick it up. They said they'd fix it and the respray was of such poor quality I got my deposit back and went elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 04:14 AM   #4
silverfox666
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
You're not being over critical - I'd be livid. Take it back and stand your ground. You have loads of rights as a buyer in the first month of ownership on used cars these days.

Demand a courtesy car for as long as it takes them to wither sort it, or give you your money back (which they won't want to do as it'll dent their monthly figures).

Good luck!
      10-14-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
No you're not being over critical it should not have any satin surfaces or hazing on the paintwork. Mines a lot older and is perfect, it had some swirls but recently had it moped and sealed, it is now almost as good as new. Don't accept it if they can't fix it...
Seconded
they should take it back and do the job properly, it's just "can't be bothered, he wont notice" attitude.
      10-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Frankie810
Rep

Well they've had the car in today for 8:30 and dropped it off at 14:00. It now has x3 dents with scratches under the fuel door they polished a couple of sections of the car and left residue and smear marks all over so they haven't even washed it!and the rear valance was hanging off around the exhaust!. Cooper Durham Bmw have let me down big style. Not to mention it's supposed to have a paint protection applied. I I just got in from work and it's been raining so god knows what I'm goin to find when I clean it.
Where do I stand in giving them the car back? I signed for it last Thursday, the only thing I can find in the paper work is to do with cancelling finance and paying up the full amount
.... they didn't even use a seat cover and now there's black marks on the oyster driver seat and console arm rest
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
Frankie810
Rep

Some photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
Frankie810
Rep

More
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Frankie810
Rep

Looks like there's clouding in the lacour on the rear passenger door and they've taken the paint off the leading edge of the bumper under the fog light. It's going back on Monday for there last chance of making it right
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie810 View Post
Well they've had the car in today for 8:30 and dropped it off at 14:00. It now has x3 dents with scratches under the fuel door they polished a couple of sections of the car and left residue and smear marks all over so they haven't even washed it!and the rear valance was hanging off around the exhaust!. Cooper Durham Bmw have let me down big style. Not to mention it's supposed to have a paint protection applied. I I just got in from work and it's been raining so god knows what I'm goin to find when I clean it.
Where do I stand in giving them the car back? I signed for it last Thursday, the only thing I can find in the paper work is to do with cancelling finance and paying up the full amount
.... they didn't even use a seat cover and now there's black marks on the oyster driver seat and console arm rest
Take it back end of. I would drive it to them with a big sign in the window outlining there shit workmanship. Unacceptable.
      10-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Take it back end of. I would drive it to them with a big sign in the window outlining there shit workmanship. Unacceptable.
Agree, I wouldn't trust then to put it right. Have you spoken to the dealer principal? I would do so ASAP and also put all your concerns in writing asking for a full refund.
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #12
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agree, I wouldn't trust then to put it right. Have you spoken to the dealer principal? I would do so ASAP and also put all your concerns in writing asking for a full refund.
Agree. Disgrace. If you are writing to the DP, make sure it goes Special Delivery then it is a matter of legal record.

An alternative would be to get in touch with BMW UK, they can sometimes be helpful in cases like this.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #13
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Sorry to go OT but can I ask where you had yours mopped. I have a white F10 alswo with swirls and I'm in WM also. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #14
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Sorry to go OT but can I ask where you had yours mopped. I have a white F10 alswo with swirls and I'm in WM also. Thanks
I had it done at Smart Car, Vulcan Road, Bilston. Staffordshire Car Care also seem decent but didn't get back to me with a price, so I went with Smart Car. Just ring up and have a chat with Helen who manages the bookings.

01902 493686

Mine had also yellowed considerably, it's now back to a clean crisp white
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1111.50
      10-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #15
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I had it done at Smart Car, Vulcan Road, Bilston. Staffordshire Car Care also seem decent but didn't get back to me with a price, so I went with Smart Car. Just ring up and have a chat with Helen who manages the bookings.

01902 493686

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #16
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

01902 493686

How many stages did you go for?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #17
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
How many stages did you go for?
I had a clay bar, followed by a mechanical mop and then two layers of Gtechniq. It was the C1 and then a glossifier (can't remember the name). The bodywork came out real nice but the bonnet was real bad and could have done with a three stage, however it's only really slightly noticeable in very very bright sunlight... so ill probably just leave it as it is
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1111.50