2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding iPhone 4 media cradles without 6NR

06-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

iPhone 4 media cradles without 6NR

if you have a car without the 6NR option is it worth buying the more expensive media cradle for the iphone 4?

what does it give you over and above the other cradle(s)?

are there 2 or 3 cradles available now for the iphone 4? I thought it was 2 and that the cheaper one just gives you phone charging capability and connection to the shark fin antenna. does it give you anything else?

my car does have 6NF which gives you music streaming via the phone but that's bluetooth right so the cradle shouldn't matter there.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
You get different snap-in adapters for different phones. The iPhone 3G and 3GS uses one and iPhone 4 uses another one. Just get one that fits your phone.
There is adapters for RIM, Nokia etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
You get different snap-in adapters for different phones. The iPhone 3G and 3GS uses one and iPhone 4 uses another one. Just get one that fits your phone.
There is adapters for RIM, Nokia etc etc.
yeah I know that bit i've been buying cradles for phones for BMW's for years...i still have the old iphone 3G one...but for the iphone 4 there is more than 1 cradle available for the *same* phone but each cradle does something different, there are two i know of at least one is called "media" and the other "music" i think....my question was more specific but thanks for the reply anyway!

ps: the dealer parts guy didn't really know the answer either...i.e if you get the "media" aka most expensive of the two, cradle but don't have option 6NR are you just wasting your money or does the fact its the "media" cradle still enable some other function/option?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
if you have a car without the 6NR option is it worth buying the more expensive media cradle for the iphone 4?

what does it give you over and above the other cradle(s)?

are there 2 or 3 cradles available now for the iphone 4? I thought it was 2 and that the cheaper one just gives you phone charging capability and connection to the shark fin antenna. does it give you anything else?

my car does have 6NF which gives you music streaming via the phone but that's bluetooth right so the cradle shouldn't matter there.
Not sure if this helps you fathom it out

Snap-In adaptor (bluetooth only, no 6NF): P/N 84 21 2 199 389
Snap-In adaptor music (6NF music only): P/N 84 21 2 199 390
Snap-In adaptor media (6NF music + video): P/N 84 21 2 199 392

6NF is listed as " Telephone USB Audio Interface" (this does not seem to be bluetooth streaming)
633 is Bluetooth

So if yours has 6NF you should get music and video if you buy the P/N ending '392'

Cheers

M