2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Constant Problems with my 528i

03-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
EZduzit123
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Constant Problems with my 528i

I posted threads before about my coolant always disappearing. Once again my coolant level dropped and service light came on saying do not drive to cause engine over heat. This is the third time I'm about to take it to the dealership. First 2 times they stated theres no leaks and to just top it off when it happens. I find that odd for a 2013 car thats almost new, why can't they fix this? do i have a reason to lemon?

also i wanted to ask if anyone gets the service due 01/2000 light? this is also my third time that the system says I'm overdue on maintaince since 2000. They always just reset that for me but it sounds like a routine now.

Lastly, my mpg has dropped significantly recently, I've been doing the same type of driving, highway and city i would average 22, not after fully tanking my car a few times, I'm having a hard time topping 16 mpg. why?

Has anyone had problems like this before?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #2
silberma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
You need to verify if your coolant actually dropped. First make sure the coolant level is correct. Drive the car for a while and wait till the car cooled off and open the radiator cap. If the level is low you definitely have a leak. If it is OK it is a sensor issue. you can ask the dealer also to do the same check
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The drop in milage could possibly be related to a coolant leak, is you car running rough or producing a lot of white smoke in the tail pipe?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

I believe I read on another thread that the 1/2000 maintenance issue is a software bug, ask the dealer to flash with the latest software (52.1).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 04:45 AM   #5
EZduzit123
Rep

As far as white smoke no.. but I have brought it up to the dealer that my car does tend to shake side to side once in a while but the dealer stated that its another normal act.

Do you guys believe if my coolant becomes a really continuous issue i could ask for a buy back or lemon? if they keep telling me its normal for a car to loose coolant and i need to top it off almost every 3-5 months?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZduzit123 View Post
As far as white smoke no.. but I have brought it up to the dealer that my car does tend to shake side to side once in a while but the dealer stated that its another normal act.

Do you guys believe if my coolant becomes a really continuous issue i could ask for a buy back or lemon? if they keep telling me its normal for a car to loose coolant and i need to top it off almost every 3-5 months?
Like any other fluid, BMW probably have a spec about how much coolant the engine can lose and still be consider normal. How much coolant are you losing every 3-5 months?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
EZduzit123
Rep

Ive had the car for a year now and the coolant has totally emptied twice, but i check constantly and notice a drop every month. its a 2013 528i
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 03:14 AM   #8
neillmcgowan
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i (N52)

same problem let me know if you find a fix (2011 though)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Maybe try a different dealer?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

This is totally ridiculous. Common sense would tell ANYONE (no less trained BMW techs) that refilling the coolant 3 times within a year signals a significant problem. I've owned BMWs for a long time now, and I've never once had any issue of refilling coolant - no less 3 times in a year on a one year old car.

Second, "shakes side to side" is NOT normal! Your dealer is TERRIBLE, and you need to find a new one ASAP. I would call BMW North America and give them a run-down on your issues and the response of your dealer to-date. This is piss-poor service you're getting. No $50k luxury car "shakes side to side" and losses 3 full coolant tanks within a year.

Something is wrong. Like I said, I'd open a case with BMW NA and immediately proceed to the next BMW dealer. I'd explain to the next dealer everything you've been through with the first - in many cases, in my experience, dealers really enjoy showing-up poor service of their competitors... so they'll be less likely to blow it off, and more likely to dig to find the problem for you. If all else fails, the case with BMW NA should help gain corporate attention if you end up needing it.

Don't settle for these answers, though. It's not normal, and if it WERE nobody would drive these cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
DLerner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, X164 GL550

Agreed, try another dealer when one won't address your concerns. Some are like factories that prefer to shuttle hundreds of cars through and make their money vs. listening to their customers, addressing them and building a satisfied customer base. Sticking with a bad one is just a long painful relationship that will never end well for you. If they don't care, you can't make them care.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
EZduzit123
Rep

UPDATE:
sorry for the really late response, after taking to the dealership, they stated there was a leak and took care of it months ago, sadly, in 2 days i have an appointment i have made for a different dealership because the coolant has totally emptied out since the dealer visit. I find it really funny with the situation I'm in.

On the down side:
A few more problems have occur, one is which when I'm reversing, and i slightly brake, a very loud clunk sound comes from the steering.

Another is my whole i drive system has been resetted. I was very annoyed of this because of all the data i had saved.

I have found a great lawyer that works with lemons, but I wanted to ask you guys, is it better to deal with the Corp myself or just open a case with a lawyer if i end up lemoning it? I am just very overwhelmed by this because it was my dream to own a BMW, and after getting the one i always wanted, it has been a horrible experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
noixd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

just hit up BMW NA and open up a case file. Bc its a luxury vehicle they will cut you a check and buy your car. Its a luxury brand so they don't to diminish their brand value with negative press. F a lawyer why would you want to cut someone a check for doing jack shiet?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
EZduzit123
Rep

What type of documents or evidence will i need to open a case? Service records? how many times my car has had issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
noixd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

I never did it but just hit them up. Prob need service documents from your BMW service center which states multiple repairs and tell them you're unhappy with your purchase. A tech will prob come to your location and check out the problems and then cut you a check.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #16
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

You have issues where many thousands of dollars, not to mention wasted time and aggravation, are at stake. So you will definitely want to take your advice on how to deal with it from anonymous people on the web.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Just open a case with BMW North America, as others have stated. There should be enough evidence from the service records showing the numerous times the car was in for the same issue, etc - they shouldn't need you to provide anything.

Most people on here have found BMW NA to be very responsive and understanding in these cases. They may ask you flat-out what you'd like them to do, so be prepared with an answer (and to be reasonable). In some cases where the car was leased, for instance, they've let the person out of the lease and into a new one with all the same options and payment. In other cases, they've bought the car back. I think a solution that retains you as a customer is what they'll find most reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #18
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

Quote:
UPDATE:
sorry for the really late response, after taking to the dealership, they stated there was a leak and took care of it months ago, sadly, in 2 days i have an appointment i have made for a different dealership because the coolant has totally emptied out since the dealer visit. I find it really funny with the situation I'm in.

On the down side:
A few more problems have occur, one is which when I'm reversing, and i slightly brake, a very loud clunk sound comes from the steering.

Another is my whole i drive system has been resetted. I was very annoyed of this because of all the data i had saved.

I have found a great lawyer that works with lemons, but I wanted to ask you guys, is it better to deal with the Corp myself or just open a case with a lawyer if i end up lemoning it? I am just very overwhelmed by this because it was my dream to own a BMW, and after getting the one i always wanted, it has been a horrible experience.
"A few more problems have occur, one is which when I'm reversing, and i slightly brake, a very loud clunk sound comes from the steering."

I just noticed, I have the same problem like this. however, I don't know when it starts. I thought it was normal, wasn't it?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #19
EZduzit123
Rep

Well I just dropped off my 528i today and got a loaner, but @nighthawk21 the tech stated that the brakes shouldn't do that, maybe something is loose. I told them how I've brought the car in almost 8 times for different issues and this be the third for the coolant and he was surprised and said to keep every record.

He also said that the coolant should not be dropping at the pace it is, and they will pressure test it all over again so hopefully they'll find a solution to this.

On the plus side i requested a diesel loaner, even tho its a 328i, I am really liking the diesel engines recently lol
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #20
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

Quote:
Well I just dropped off my 528i today and got a loaner, but @nighthawk21 the tech stated that the brakes shouldn't do that, maybe something is loose. I told them how I've brought the car in almost 8 times for different issues and this be the third for the coolant and he was surprised and said to keep every record.

He also said that the coolant should not be dropping at the pace it is, and they will pressure test it all over again so hopefully they'll find a solution to this.

On the plus side i requested a diesel loaner, even tho its a 328i, I am really liking the diesel engines recently lol
I should get my car checked then to make sure everything is right. Good idea! I am planning to get diesel for loaner car
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #21
EZduzit123
Rep

Update: I received my car back, after maintaince service and other small services
They found NO LEAKS as a solution to my coolant problem and told me to bring it in again if it happens.. lol?

and as far as the brakes, both front tension struts were broken somehow so they replaced them. So NIGHTHAWK go replace em! haha
Appreciate 0