2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW AG agreed to pay for brake upgrade !!

02-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
avelvin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d M Sport xDrive wi

BMW AG agreed to pay for brake upgrade !!

Thought I would share this as it is really quite interesting from BMW.

I bought a high spec 530 D M Sport Touring F11 last January with a list price of £59,000 UK pounds, it had 1720 miles on it. From day one the brakes squealed under light braking such as in traffic. The noise was quite loud and nearly every day. The dealer had the car back 4 times for the issue (under warranty) but could not resolve. In the end they wrote to me a few weeks back and said they could do no more and BMW AG would not pay for anymore warranty claims on brakes, not least they are parts subject to wear and tear. If I wished to pursue the issue I would personally have to pay for the work !! Naturally I was irritated and reminded them that this noise should not exist on a £59k car with 1720 miles on it from back then nor now even though it has currently got 8500 miles on it, and that I had been very fair in letting them try to cure the problem over the last 12 months. They had heard the noise and I had submitted to them 3 minutes of audio recordings of it too.

They agreed to take one more look at it. I believed at this point that they would probably replace the brake pads as there seemed no other obvious culprit. They rang me the following day to say that they had submitted a PUMA report to BMW AG, and they had instructed them to not only replace the pads, but also the discs and the callipers too, but get this, they also instructed them to upgrade the discs to the M Performance discs, and also fit the same callipers as fitted to the 535 D M Sport. The dealer showed me all the paperwork and correspondence to prove it as they were as surprised as I was. Sure enough they finished the upgrade 2 days later and all seems fine so far. BMW AG have also update the original build spec of my car on their systems to reflect the upgrade so future owners and other dealers will fit the new parts automatically should they need service or change in the future. Apparently it is due to a resonance issue on some 530 D M Sport F11s. I am told by the dealer that IF I had had to pay for this upgrade it would have cost me around £4000 pounds !!

Obviously this is a very good result for me, but I would be interested in any readers comments on this or similar stories as I am certain that BMW initially hoped I would put up with the issue and go away. This is obviously a known problem or why else agree to such a draconian upgrade from the original brake spec ?? I have to say I am quite shocked at what they did for what was just squealing brakes, but at least they did come good in the end even if I did have to be very persistent !!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
BKK 5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 528i

Wow! That is great that they upgraded your brakes in the end.

I am starting to get a brake squeal under light driving - exactly as you've stated. I wonder if this is a known issue now.... My car has 6k miles
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

My 530d msports brakes also sometimes squeal under light braking.....
Its not really bothered me to date as its not that noisy.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
BKK 5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 528i

did some research and it seems like it's a common issue amongst f10's - that is, the squealing under light braking. I, for one, find it very annoying... going to bring it into service to see if I can get it fixed
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

avelvin, I thought the MSport brakes use semi metallic pads which tends to squeak more. Was the original pads ceramic?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
avelvin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d M Sport xDrive wi

'The X Men', I am not sure of the original composite materials of the 530 D M Sport braking system, but I remember talking to the dealership and saying that I would understand the issue if they were carbon ceramic brakes like a Ferrari 458, but I know that this is not the case on the M Sport cars and they agreed.

All I do know, is that so far all the squealing has finally gone after nearly a year of horrible noises.

I think this is a wider problem that BMW are happy to cover up. I am a very detailed and pedantic person and cannot accept problems like this, my guess is that most people would put up with the issue, but just because they do does not make it right; correct ????

I have a horrible whistling noise coming from the centre air vent in the car which the dealer cannot cure and agree that it is totally annoying, but I fear that if they take this further then they probably will fix the issue but cause a number of rattles in the process as they say they would have to look at replacing the heater matrix so for now I am having to live with it !!

I have had 7 BMW cars and this is the best and nicest so far that I have had, but it is also been the most unreliable and fraught with problems and niggles that I have not experienced before. Maybe standards are slipping a bit ??

By the same token, my wife has a high spec 1 series that we had specced and built from the factory, and whilst it is not 5 series quality it has been 100% perfect so far and as only been back to the dealer once in 2 1/2 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Ceramic pads dust a lot less than semi metallic, thats one way to tell them apart. Squeaky brakes and rattles are not commons problems with the F10, for the most part, the car is rock solid.
Appreciate 0