2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Loaner 2016 M// 235i xdrive thoughts

04-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Cool Loaner 2016 M// 235i xdrive thoughts

So my beloved Black Beauty is in for maintenance ie oil change, air filter, in cabin filter, brake fluid flush and the SA asked if I needed a loaner and I was just gonna hang around the dealer but I'll probably end up buying an M5 if I saw one so I thought it would be best so he said "I think you're gonna like this loaner!" Now I don't know anything about the 2 series but these are my impressions:

1) the car is a lot smaller than my 5er. Pretty compact! In the cockpit it felt like sitting in my DC Integra again. Very tight, narrow as I can easily touch the passenger window. Windshield feels smaller and the speedometer cluster along with the radio controls was nice but just I dunno...regular? I thought the car was cool if I were in my teens or 20's but I've being in some not so fancy cars just your everyday cars had nicer interior design.
just felt this is a beemer and the interior should be 2nd to none! Now I love the steering wheel with the thumb rest! Also, first time I got to use paddle shifters...my opinion I like using the shift knob instead I did like the door design with the contrast of the red and black. I don't even know what color it's called? if you're the type that likes to scoot the seat back or you're tall sux to be the person sitting in the back because there is just enough leg room if the people sitting in the front don't scoot their seats back! Also, what a pain for them to get in the back anyways as you have to pull the seat all the way forward and tilt up lol!

2) Performance wise this car can get up real quick! So light and nimble! I can totally tell the 5er is a fat pig compared to the 235! First time driving an xdrive and it took corners like it wasn't $hit! from a launching stand point like I mentioned very quick and I believe the exhaust in this car is an M Performance? Nice rumble and not obnoxiously loud when smashing through the gears so now I'm really interested to see what my Meisterschaft's are gonna sound like! Love the braking...car stops on a dime and I like the blue calipers! the black wheels give it a nice touch!

3) exterior wise it's a nice sporty looking car. I've browsed the 2 series board and there's a lot of exterior modifications that can be done.

So my overall impression is it's a cool little sports car with plenty of power! Love the exhaust tone and I really dig the interior red color with the black to give it contrast. My only negative comment would be the dash area. Anyways, thought I'd share these photos with you guys! Imma take her out and cruise around as it's been awhile since I heard an exhaust lol!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 04-22-2016 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Nice write up! Have fun with it.

I have a loner today too and I was really hoping for a 2 but they gave me a 528 which is optioned even odder than my own.
      04-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
..... if I were in my teens or 20's....
My feelings exactly, you nailed it here.
That's how I felt about 228xi I had for few days. There was really nothing wrong with it in my opinion, other than iDrive/iPad like design that I don't like. Interior fit and finish are good, not amazing, but good, though we have to understand that target buyer might not be after luxury here. It feels solid, well built and handles great, surprisingly fun to drive and actually quite cool sounding for "smaller" engine too. However, for me personally, shorter wheelbase, more road noise and small interior got tiring pretty quickly. Signs of aging maybe . As you said, if I was in my early 20s, great little car.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So just picked up my car after literally abusing the 235i for a few hours
But I really missed my car! Sad thing is I got so use to the power the M// was putting out. I didn't realize it's an inline 6 twin Turbo according to the sales sheet I looked at. Not sure what the HP was as i didn't see it mentioned? When I drove off in my 5er I gunned it and oh my Gawd, her fat a$$ felt soooooo slow now how depressing it was thinking this whole time I thought the power was good enough for me. so my commute home is about 45 min and I was just thinking of the power mods I need to do. Not gonna do anything right now but when winter comes around and she goes back into storage I'm definitely gonna send my CPE for a flash. Ill watch carefully how Mission Performance comes along during the meantime and see how people respond to their new flash. I already have the Meisterschaft exhaust but probably start inquiries on DP's and CP's.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 04-22-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Well, it is more power, more torque, lighter, smaller and newer, so.... d'oh

It's a full second faster than 535 0-60 mph. based on specs. In my opinion, even if specs. were exactly same, it would still "feel" faster, since it's smaller, more nimble... etc. Different type of cars altogether though, tough to make fair comparison.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #6
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

My 535 feels much higher than my E92 328i did. I thought I'd be the "small car guy" as I do enjoy the driving dynamics of the 2 series as you drove. To me thats the new "3" as the f30 is bloating up. Go back and look how small previous 3 were and you get the picture. our F10s are like old 7 series. Small BMW's are really great.

I was less than excited about the f30 with the interior being step down than the E92 in terms of finish. Im gonna be a snob here and I just could not step down to the 2 as I do like the creature comforts and love the build of the f30. I expect to have this car 6-7 years and am enjoying the benefits of a full sedan as well.

Last edited by Nalod; 04-26-2016 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Good writeup thanks for posting
Interior does look nice
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
So just picked up my car after literally abusing the 235i for a few hours
But I really missed my car! Sad thing is I got so use to the power the M// was putting out. I didn't realize it's an inline 6 twin Turbo according to the sales sheet I looked at. Not sure what the HP was as i didn't see it mentioned? When I drove off in my 5er I gunned it and oh my Gawd, her fat a$$ felt soooooo slow now how depressing it was thinking this whole time I thought the power was good enough for me. so my commute home is about 45 min and I was just thinking of the power mods I need to do. Not gonna do anything right now but when winter comes around and she goes back into storage I'm definitely gonna send my CPE for a flash. Ill watch carefully how Mission Performance comes along during the meantime and see how people respond to their new flash. I already have the Meisterschaft exhaust but probably start inquiries on DP's and CP's.
Sounds like you need get 550
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Sounds like you need get 550
nah...M5!
Appreciate 1